• I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Laptops for university

It was that expensive because it was the era when ultrabooks were non-existent, and my laptop became one of the thinnest/lightest in the world at the time. Also you would be hard pressed to find an optical drive in a 13inch laptop, especially one this thin.
It's stupid to buy a computer that expensive given how quickly they are improving and how quickly the price is falling. Your ultrabook would probably be like 1k after a year.

pHyRe

HSC

I'd say buying a midrange laptop is the best. 1k-1.5k as the prices there are generally known to fall the least. High end, 2k+ fall the most. Cheap ones are alright, but they will last for less time and give a worse user experience throughout that time.

Personally I got a sick gaming laptop, i7-4700MQ (2.4ghz, turbos up to 3.4), SSD, 13" 1080p screen and GTX 765M for $1350 (although more like $1200 since i can get GST back hehe) which was an awesome deal. Most similarly specced 13"ers will cost well over 1500-1600.

The longest lasting laptop I know was also the most expensive, $2000 DELL which is still going strong today after 8 years.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

It's stupid to buy a computer that expensive given how quickly they are improving and how quickly the price is falling. Your ultrabook would probably be like 1k after a year.
Actually I won it. So it was all good. It was a computer association event at darling harbour exhibition centre.

pHyRe

HSC

My 15 inch retina cost $2150 lol, it is light but still a bit heavy for uni.
jesus that's a rip off...

there's a reason apple records such big profits (hint, it's cause they overcharge like a mofo haha )

T-Hud

HSC

Who knows anything about processors for laptops? Will an AMD processor be fine if I'm using the laptop for just taking notes and accessing the internet?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Who knows anything about processors for laptops? Will an AMD processor be fine if I'm using the laptop for just taking notes and accessing the internet?
ANYTHING will be fine for that.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

In about 10 years time the current computer technologies will not develop much and we will hit a threshold due to physical limits on computing power.

Just saying.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

In about 10 years time the current computer technologies will not develop much and we will hit a threshold due to physical limits on computing power.

Just saying.
People have been saying that forever, but Moore's law just keeps going strong.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

People have been saying that forever, but Moore's law just keeps going strong.
hahaha.

Given current transistors are less than 100 atoms wide and the quantum effects kick in once you get to less than 10 atoms (or for insulators 5 atoms is the bare minimum), I can't really say we are far off.

The maximum would probably be before 32-bit unix restarts.

Off topic here though.

Maybe we can get a separate thread going if others are interested (though it has to be more than 5 people to make it worth the effort).

ebbygoo

HSC

pHyRe

HSC

i dont think the HP even has a dedicated video card (that i can see) so it's a little hard to gauge.

its CPU is vastly superior though.

personally, i'd save myself a few hundred and grab a chromebook. either looks alright, depends on what screen size you want. also compare battery life (i didnt examine that at all)

ebbygoo

HSC

Woops missed that. Thats strange. Well that makes them hard to compare.

Confound

HSC

I'm doing applied finance with commerce - professional accounting at MQ.

So basically I need a laptop which will enable me to view stock trading charts, financial reports, stream online videos and support heavy trading software with ease

So will I need 4g ram or 8g ram min?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)