• I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i usually bring my laptop in the library when i have assignments, but i found it is not worth the hassle for use in lectures. A big problem (and something that i thought of when i read Gman's post) is that i found that when i wrote my notes straight on the computer i would never have a serious go at reading them.. though, if i hand wrote notes then typed it up on my computer that is two times that the notes have been properly read... (hopefully that made sense... i.e. for me, the stuff that is already on my computer i have trouble revising)...

maka

HSC
True. People rarely use laptops at uni. You would be lucky to see people use it for educational purposes at uni other than assignments.

Why not try printing the lecture notes and annotating them after readin the text or listening to the lecturer. Saves time and effectively you read the notes over before, during and after the lecture.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i see more and more people using laptops for educational purposes in lectures nowadays

= Jennifer =

HSC
stazi said:
i see more and more people using laptops for educational purposes in lectures nowadays
I use my laptop in lectures. Because I dont need to print off the powerpoint presentation, then write on it, then take it home and type it up. I am saving time my just typing on the notes page of powerpoint and printing it out once.

It also comes in handy when the lecturer mentions something and you remember it when you were typing notes you can do a quick search through word and find it straight away without having to find it through your notes that were printed off.

I find I use my laptop more in lectures than tutorials. I rarely use it in tutorials since it is more about open discussions and a reflection of stuff from the lecture and the readings.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its really going to be decided by how you learn.

If you're the kind of person who can memorise things straight off, then the laptop should be fine.

If you tend to get a bit lazy, and not read lecture notes on the web or on the computer, perhaps writing things down is a better solution.

Either way has its advantages and disadvantages, give it a try for the first couple of weeks and see if you really do need it, then if you find that its easier, then keep going, if not then ditch it.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
about 3 ppl out of the 250ish in my course bring a laptop to lectures. i use a notebook, and i swear if i didnt use a notebook then i would honestly never ever ever use a pen. becos most stuff is on a computer, half my classes are. anyway, its helps using a pen and jotting stuff down during lectures cus when it comes to exam time, ur usually using a pen and paper, and its heaps easy to fall out of the habit of writing fast after the HSC.

the ppl who have laptops in my course all hav iBooks i think, and as the yr went on, me and my friends would just sit behind someone with a laptop (actually, always the same guy!) and just read what he wrote. til we realised he wasnt that interested in the lecture either and wasnt takin good notes.

carrying it around, hahaa do wat u want. but after only carrying a handbag around with a fone, wallet etc in it for the 4 months after HSC, there was no way i was lugging a huge bag around, especially if noone else is.

people who hav laptops in lectures are taking it just a bit too seriously.well thats exactly what i will think of u if u rock up in my class

somecooldude

HSC
beccaxx said:
about 3 ppl out of the 250ish in my course bring a laptop to lectures. i use a notebook, and i swear if i didnt use a notebook then i would honestly never ever ever use a pen. becos most stuff is on a computer, half my classes are. anyway, its helps using a pen and jotting stuff down during lectures cus when it comes to exam time, ur usually using a pen and paper, and its heaps easy to fall out of the habit of writing fast after the HSC.

the ppl who have laptops in my course all hav iBooks i think, and as the yr went on, me and my friends would just sit behind someone with a laptop (actually, always the same guy!) and just read what he wrote. til we realised he wasnt that interested in the lecture either and wasnt takin good notes.

carrying it around, hahaa do wat u want. but after only carrying a handbag around with a fone, wallet etc in it for the 4 months after HSC, there was no way i was lugging a huge bag around, especially if noone else is.

people who hav laptops in lectures are taking it just a bit too seriously.well thats exactly what i will think of u if u rock up in my class
but isnt a notebook a laptop? its the same thing lol

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
You're doing law yeah? The only people I see with laptops are the kind who like to write down what the lecturer says verbatim. IMO they're a complete waste of time.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
somecooldude said:
but isnt a notebook a laptop? its the same thing lol
i think she means the non-computer-type notebook.

you know, the hardcover-bound notebooks with nice paper. or is that too old-school for kids nowadays?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If I hate the class, I'll purposely sit closer to the front and play games or surf the net. I wrote some of my best Quah Reports in Gender Studies lectures.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Quah, wouldn't you want to sit at the BACK, not at the front if you want to surf the net etc.

Oh and to all those using laptops, use a program called 'OneNote' from MS. It is absolutely worth getting by any means necessary. Makes life so much easier. You can get tabs for each subject, each lecture, each topic. If I can one day be fucked I'll show you how I organise it. It's brilliant and oh so easy

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
If you don't use a laptop, do you guys usually write your notes during lectures and then type them out when you get home? Or do you study from the notes that you took initially?

Btw. do lecturers tend to go over things that are covered in the textbooks anyway, or do they try to approach the content differently by putting their own spin on things? I'm guessing it's different to school where teachers literally read from the textbook :p

Edit: does anyone know much Tablet PCs cost?
The brand names normally retail from $2500+
http://www.shopbot.com.au/c-117-1-0-1.html
http://www.cworld.com.au/order_onli...&PROD_MAN=All&PROD_SUBCAT=Tablet PC&qsearch=1

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I bought a small 12.1" size laptop during 2004 as well. It was around $2700 (though the same model can be bought now for just under $2000 lol =\). It's between 1.3kgs to 1.5kgs which is pretty light for a laptop. Also, if you plan on taking it to uni everyday, then its good to have a light one, coz then it just feels like another textbook (it may even be lighter than some of your textbooks!). If you go to a uni with wireless internet connections (like UTS), then its even better as you can surf the net from the couches and not have to worry about finding a PC.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Tablet PCs are overhyped I think... they seem pretty practical but then using OneNote and so on isn't that easy as one would expect. It depends if you can write faster than you can type; and if you can write very neat. For a lot of people, I think using pad/paper and then typing up the notes is probably a better solution.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I've hardly come across anyone using a laptop at uni. But if you decide to get a lap top, get one of those small notebook laptops. They can easily fit in your bag and they aren't that heavy. Just make sure you charge it all the time.. or you can just plug it in the library. Having a laptop will also be useful to catch up with assignments and to keep you company during your breaks.

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatical said:
If I hate the class, I'll purposely sit closer to the front and play games or surf the net. I wrote some of my best Quah Reports in Gender Studies lectures.
Obviously your lecturer was male (female gender studies lecturers are bound to be butch and throw you out straight away.)

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
marchetta said:
I've hardly come across anyone using a laptop at uni. But if you decide to get a lap top, get one of those small notebook laptops. They can easily fit in your bag and they aren't that heavy. Just make sure you charge it all the time.. or you can just plug it in the library. Having a laptop will also be useful to catch up with assignments and to keep you company during your breaks.
haha dont u have friends to keep u company on ur break? or is it a generalisation that nerdy losers r the ones with laptops thus need company?

the only guy i always see with a laptop in my course is actually really cool.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
beccaxx said:
haha dont u have friends to keep u company on ur break? or is it a generalisation that nerdy losers r the ones with laptops thus need company?

the only guy i always see with a laptop in my course is actually really cool.
perhaps her friends have breaks at different times. but yeah, i'd be way too fucking embarassed to pull out my laptop during a break. I only use it for study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)