• Acer

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Dell

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Bekhit

HSC
needa buy a new laptop
heard different things bout differents brands though n just though ill post somefin here.
Comment on what you think would be best.n answer da poll.
im look 4 somefin in the higher spec range like duo core 2 or centrino 2 wif 4 gb ram n wireless net...dont care bout da harddrive saw a half terabite 4 100 bucks da otha day so yeh.

Bekhit

HSC
dp624 said:
Dell is good.
nah i fink der expensive and heard their annoying in where all there connection ports are(on the side)

EbonyTW said:
yeh heard from ppl HP is good and was thinkin of gettin 1...actually foun 1 for about 1400/1500 wif gr8 specs

centrino 2 processor
4 gb ram
320 gb hard drive (i think....as i said not to worried bout harddrive)
wireless
14.1 inch (i think)

dp624

HSC
for me the clincher is graphics cards...lol
brand doesnt really matter

Bekhit

HSC
666_blessings said:
Macs have pretty nice specs and I would buy one if it weren't for the fact that Mac OS annoys me.
nah i dont wanna mac...cos if otha ppl in da family use it da diff operatin system might b an issue.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
my option isn't on your poll.

i have a sony vaio. best computer i've ever owned.

HPs are shit.

I work with a guy who used to work with HP, take it from us, they're just crap.

I've found acers ok but i don't like the look of them.

I'd only buy an Asus if it was because I was buying one of them mini laptops.

I love Sony. The pricetag is so worth it.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
dell have a reputation for bad customer service where I study.

dp624

HSC
i have a benq
but tbh if you take decent care of laptop then customer service isnt all that needed.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
For high end (or technically 'medium' end, high end laptops are normally 10kgs+), get Asus.
I got Asus M51VA, intel 2.53ghz centrino 2, 4gb ram, ati mobility radeon hd 3650 (512mb), which is a good mid-range laptop grapics card.

This is good for higher spec range, as u mentioned u wanted. It was $1999 from myer, came with laptop bag, mouse, 250gb external hdd, MS Office home and student 07. But i got it for $1500, (haggling and employee discount).

Dells apparantly have bad customer service, and their best graphics cards are only 256mb (unless u get the 10kg dell xps). Dell costs more too.

Acer is complete shit, a computing tutor at my uni said theyre bad, so i believe em, lol.

Toshiba have good build quality, and are quite sturdy. They can also come with high specs, but would cost more than my one did.

So either Asus or Toshiba i would recommend.

EDIT: you want a 'high end', behkit, what will u actually use it for?

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
you do know that it's the gfx chip model which matters, not the memory size

for example, a 256mb 9600M GT is a LOT faster than a 1gb HD 3650

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Omie Jay said:
EDIT: you want a 'high end', behkit, what will u actually use it for?
Because he's gonna need it to run windows vista XD

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i know about graphics memory =/= goodness. And 3650's come in 512mb, but if hypermemory is enabled then more can be added on (i disable it).

Its still not a bad graphics card, with my specs i can run far cry 2 with everything, minus AA and boring stuf like shadows, on high with no lag at all, unreal tournament 3 on maxxx with no probs at all.

Im just saying, while some lappys come with good graphics or whatever, consider what else it has, and its final price.

What would be better: laptop with 9600M GT, or one with HD 3650 + all the features mine came with?
Im not sure how much the 9600m gt one cost, but i doubt it'll be as good value for money as my deal was.

EDIT: and lol at darkwolf, thats why ive had no problems at all with vista ultimate ^^

dp624

HSC
k mate
i have a BenQ S42-Pe05
great deal
got it for <1.5K
150 $$ rebate -> so its about 1350

9600MGT -> with that funky thingy where i can change chips to save power, lols
250Gb HDD
2.4GHz Core2Duo
2 Gb Ram
14.1", 2.2kgs

no extras, lol

but it's quite a lot better for gaming than urs. but yea, i agree if you want extras then yours is pretty cool. damn you and your haggling, lol

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I run ubuntu on my asus laptop. If you are considering ubuntu consider purchasing a HP. HP laptops are very ubuntu friendly. A friend recently installed ubuntu and it worked perfectly out of the box, wireless and gfx. Of course you can't game on them, but boot up times are quite quick and you can get work done easily.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
they are not really that expensive, and they are great quality, well the two i have are, and the people i know who own one says they are, there technical support is amazing, i have called them a couple of times, and they will help you for hours if that is what it takes.

From my experience Dell is the best, the only reason i did not buy one with my current laptop is because this one was an incredibly good deal

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
darkwolfzx said:
Because he's gonna need it to run windows vista XD
no he won't you only need 2 gigs two run vista fast, provided you are not a gamer.

Sayangliss

HSC
Get a mac. If you don't like mac's OS X, just get a window disk and install windows on it. Runs like a dream.

If not, to me Asus would be the best brand of laptops. I also consider Dell the worse.
Dell might be much affordable per say, but I'm under the impression that the parts they use within the computers are of lowest quality.

Really though, laptop brands doesn't particularly matter so long as the configurations are fitted compatibly.

Few months ago I got my mum an Asus notebook (not laptop but nevertheless) for around $1000 after some negotiations from Bing Lee. The specs are 160gb HD memory, 2GB ram, 17" screen and of course Intel Centrino core2 duo (can't remember processor speed but pretty sure its around 2.0gHz). Has yet to malfunction.

I have bad experience with HP but that might be because it had an Intel Celeron processor - so don't get that. =]

Someone mentioned Sony Vaio - I think they're awesome laptops, if you're willing to fork out the money.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
dp624 said:
9600MGT -> with that funky thingy where i can change chips to save power, lols
250Gb HDD
2.4GHz Core2Duo
2 Gb Ram
14.1", 2.2kgs

no extras, lol

but it's quite a lot better for gaming than urs. but yea, i agree if you want extras then yours is pretty cool. damn you and your haggling, lol
I doubt it'll be that much better than mine. I got a gig more of ram (well 2gigs more, but 32bit os), and 0.13 ghz more. A better graphics card wont make that much difference. According to notebookcheck.net it is sorta better than mine, but i dont understand all that shader clock and pipelines and core clock shit, lol.

Even still, to use good graphics cards like these at their max potential, a 2.6ghz dual core cpu is required to fully process the shit, read it somewhere, dont quite understand, but yeah.

Laptops that come in a package are normally good, my laptop is quite good on its own, so it was even better that it came with other stuff, and good price.

EDIT: oh, and i got 2 years worldwide warranty, came with the lappy :p

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
If anyone is m3n enough they get Alienware.

EbonyTW said:
HP has an amazing graphics card, second to macs.
HP laptop broke down like an old hag after lifting 3kg weights regularly.

666_blessings said:
Macs have pretty nice specs and I would buy one if it weren't for the fact that Mac OS annoys me.
how to gaem on mac?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)