Last movie you've seen? (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
Argh, UOW has no filmsoc. :( Haven't seen Seventh Seal though, it's one on the list.

Tonight watched Crash for the second time, with my olds who wanted to catch it. I stand by my reservations that it indeed, is not a great film. I think Haggis is just a shit director. If the same screenplay was given to someone who could have softened the smack-in-your-face nature of the material it could have turned out much better. The whole Sandra Bullock story makes me want to punch middle aged women with sprained ankles. The film's strength is certainly its acting - great performances from Howard, Dillion and Cheadle. I give it 2/5.

walrusbear

HSC
well 7th seal is on dvd in R4 now so you've got no more excuses :p

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Would you be interested in helping set up a filmsoc at UOW Nick?

walrusbear

HSC
i rewatched Chopper last night
it's probably my favourite australian movie. two really impressive performances from eric bana and vince colosimo. i think the black comedy keeps it all going, really.
'keithy's done himself a bit of mischief'

8/10

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
i just watched an advanced copy of the transporter 2... pretty good action flick... so unbelievable at parts though i must say.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Watched Sympathy For Mr Vengeance for film studies yesterday. Before the screening, my lecturer rates it as one of the top 50 movies ever made. High praise, I thought. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the praise was richy deserved. I hadn't really been a fan of Park Chan-Wook from what I had seen. Oldboy was one of the most overpraised movies of 2005, and his Cut section was the worst of the three shorts that made up Three..Extremes. In both those films, Park created intriguing scenarios but was let down by poor endings with inadequate or confusing payoffs. I loved his style, but was always left thinking that he'd be much better off leaving out the mystery elements from his stories, and the virtuosity of Sympathy proved I was probably correct. Highly recommended. 10/10

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I watched Doom last night and I really wish I hadn't. I know it got really bad reviews and I went in with really low expectations but I just wanted to see how one of the best/most famous games of all-time was converted to film. Anyway, it didn't really stick to the game at all, was quite boring, wasn't scary, lacked special effects and the acting was really terrible. 2/10:(.

Lexie1001

HSC
i saw match point last friday night as a mother/daughter thing :| i didnt want to see it but my mum did. it was really slow and boring, i didn't like it much. didn't get interesting until the last 30min or so. acting was good though, woody allen's directing was a bit...strange but thats what he's known for i spose. it cut to random scenes sometimes, like shot of tennis playing to shot of guy reading abook to country house for lunch, really disconnected. 6/10

nwatts

HSC
Benny_ said:
Would you be interested in helping set up a filmsoc at UOW Nick?
Yes I would actually. :p

Watched Broken Flowers for the 2nd time with a friend. Still amazing. The last scene with Bill and the boy is just, outstanding. It gets the same 5/5 I gave it in Janurary.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Benny_ said:
You a big fan of Citizen Kane, Nick?
I am, yes. But i'm also the only person walking around campus with a walking stick named i've aptly named citizen kane. :p

nwatts

HSC
Watched The Constant Gardener tonight, and really enjoyed it. I'd heard a lot of different things about it, most negative, but came away thoroughly satisfied. I like Meirelles as a director. I'm not sure if this material exactly matched his style, but I think he pulled it off well. Another thing: I always thought the name 'The Constant Gardener' for a film was really, stupid. But after watching the film I realised how perfect the title was. 4/5

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I sat through Gettysburg for my American history class. Overlong, melodramatic, contrived tripe :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)