Law movies (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
I know this may sound stupid, are there any movies that follow the life of a lawyer or has something to do with law so I will get a rough idea of what its like to be a lawyer?

= Jennifer =

HSC
lol legally blonde :p

On a serious note, if you can get your hands on a documentary called "street lawyers" it is about unsw students who work at the kingsford legal centre and it goes into details about the stress of their clerkships, their work experience and the degree so far.

Arithela

HSC
hey I just looked it up, but it seems to be called 'street practice' and id imagine it is very hard to get a copy of it since they broadcasted it on ABC already...

.ben

HSC
A lot of John Grisham books have been made into movies, stuff like 'The Rainmaker' and 'The Firm' etc etc.

T

thegovernator

I was going to say the same thing. The Rainmaker was good. Haven't seen the firm but I'd imagine it's pretty good also.

'Erin Brokovic'?

There was a thread which discussed this same thing earlier in the year I believe. Do some digging.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Simon Target did a documentary series about Sydney barristers for the ABC several years ago. I think it was called 'Rough Justice' or something.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
It is extremely stupid. Movies are rarely realistic. Go to court and watch some real cases. That will give you a better idea of what its all about.
And if you get good cases it can be really entertaining.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
It is extremely stupid. Movies are rarely realistic. Go to court and watch some real cases. That will give you a better idea of what its all about.
I agree that movies are a very bad exposure to the real life of a lawyer but going to court is not entirely representative of a lawyer's work either. Most lawyers never see the inside of a court room.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Law films i would rate:

1) A Few Good Men
2) The Devil's Advocate
3) Enemy of the State (well Smith's character, had a good role in it)
4) Rain Man
5) The Firm
6) My Cousin Vinny (italians :))
7) The Pelican Brief
8) The Rainmaker
9) Philadelphia
10) The Insider (although i severely detested Al Pacino's character, think it's because i watched The Recruit just before it)
11) A Time to Kill
12) Runaway Jury
13) The Accused

I've watched all bar the last one, and would definitely be great material for the idealists within us :D

Oh and the classic, To Kill a Mockingbird, but i much preferred the prose fiction over the film production.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A few good men is fantastic.

Keep in mind most movies are American and despite being movies thus not that accurate they are loosely based on the American legal system subtle things from Terminology to huge things like the fact that Australian lawyers cannot prance around the court room, to different legal rules are all different. As has been mentioned go to different courts Local, District and the Supreme and you will see a much more accurate representation and how varied the different levels can actually be

jazzmuzik

HSC
hardly realistic but still a good "law" related movie...

Primal Fear

Edward Norton is unreal.

T

thegovernator

word to that melsc. i think a lot of law courses, in your first semester actually require you to go down to the local or supreme court and witness proceedings, and write a court report about your impressions of how the court system operates. if u are going to usyd or uts you will more than likely do it.

T

thegovernator

saw some interesting stuff. this guy got kicked out of the court because he wouldn't remove his hat while addressing the magistrate. when asked to remove it he refused to comply on the grounds that jews are allowed to wear hats. *sigh*
also...while he was sitting in the gallery waiting for his case to be heard, there were these two immature idiots holding their noses and giggling like little girls because there was this strange smell emanating from him. haha. one of them actually got up and made a big point of moving to the other side of the room while holding his nose. these guys were like 30+ years of age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)