Law school leeches (1 Viewer)

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry to say this happens everywhere and is not just 'law leeches'. I have had random people on my msn list that I never talk to message me the night before a major assignment is due asking for help at which point I have to conveniently leave refusing to give them help and NO answers.

There are ways of dealing with this and channels to go through might be an idea to talk to your lecturer make sure they are aware of this because these students simply are not learning for the assessments\assignments and isn’t that what they are for to support learning made in the classroom or lecture theater.
Dob on them?! Those people eventually fail anyway, there's no need for you to help them do it.

When people I hate ask for help, I give them the bare minimum (point to where the answers are) or nothing. I'm not going to go out of my way to help people who are lazy.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Exactly my point they will fail eventually, but some can get through the system and sometimes it is called for under the right situation.

Jonathan A

HSC
I get asked often for responses. My response is generally no. Otherwise, I will give them something else they can use as a guide. The problem is they can be friends or people making out to be friends. Best thing to do is put your study first as real friends play by the rules. No point committing collusion. If they go bad and you well, it will go well for you on scaling.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
pffft... we really need to go back to the olden days when women were 'property' :p

prosaic

HSC
Well Frigid, isn't that your own fault for succumbing to a breed of women with no self-dignity or moral conscience? Noting that some men view materialistic sluttish behaviour and such associated women with disgust hence would not compensate their hard-done work for fickle attention. It's a personal choice really, the only issue is your need for more self discipline and/or control. :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hehe no one ever asks me for my notes because no one ever sees me writing any :p

Nah Ive got a fairly good group of law friends, awesome people but proud of their own work and I don't see any of us asking one another for help with assignments.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've said it before and I'll say it again: other people's notes really are inadequate.

The only use of group work for study is the actual sitting down and going through the work with each other. Using each other's notes is very limited as: (1) You did not compile them yourself, so you do not reap the learning benefit from creating them; (2) The way each person writes will be different and the entire picture is sure to suffer because you won't understand them as well; (3) You can't be sure they have covered everything; (4) You can't be sure they haven't made some mistakes, misinterpreted things or taken short cuts.

If you want something done properly, do it yourself!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
If you want something done properly, do it yourself!
I agree! Also I find the often I make notes but then don't get to read them, yet the act of making them is usually enough for things to stick in my memory...reading notes rarely works for me, especially if I havent written them.

= Jennifer =

HSC
melsc said:
I meant study notes, I never took notes in class...
if you go to uws and study law you will find that you will be taking heaps since the lecturers explain stuff more coherently then what is presented in the textbooks

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
melsc said:
I meant study notes, I never took notes in class...
Only limited notes are taken in class...IMO...the class teacher goes through the case...puts some people on the spot with some questions...explains the judgment...and analyses the judgment.

If you have done your reading you should have a at least a 75% understanding of what is going on in the case and you will only need to write down the points that the teacher mentions which you didn't find in the judgment.

I know there are some people who SAY , when they have a good teacher, that they don't do their readings and just come to class and listen to the teacher explain it all. I kind of don’t like these people much because they drag down the rest of the class. That's if the teacher even slows down to help them.

But really the law school teacher is simply a facilitator. In a perfect world everyone in the class has done the reading and knows the reasoning found in the judgment well enough to explain it to the class before he or she walks into the classroom. If this was the case the teacher would only have to deal with the basics of the judgment quickly leaving more time for analysis. Each class will differ. The best classes are the ones where everyone is on the ball and the teacher can get advanced fast without having to explain all the basics of the judge’s reasoning to those who have not read the case (for whatever reason...and no one ever does all their reading always on time...being it just being that time of session or you just didn’t get the case). Some teachers that I've had randomly put people on the spot each week to see if they have read the cases

Teacher 'Robert...do you agree with the reasoning' (other questions might be 'What is odd in this case?' 'Could the judge have approached the issue differently?')
Robert 'Yeah I agree'
Teacher 'Why?'
Robert 'Um...I didn't do the reading'
Teacher 'Anyone want to help Robert out?'
*Hands shoot up*...

Often the a good teacher will ask questions to see what understanding the student has of the case (if any).

Keen people get very frustrated when the teacher spends too much time going through the basics of the case slowly for the people who week after week make no effort to understand the case and totally rely on the teacher's slow spoonfeeding. As long as the majority have done their reading everything is fine.

For most of the courses at UNSW there isn't a text book. Just a case book that does little explaining and a lot of facilitation (ie heading 'this is what this case is about' followed by the case which the student has to read and workout). In any case I think a deeper understanding is garnered with reading cases. Textbooks only give you an outline. Also if you use the cases as a basis for your note taking and study you can mention points within the judgments in exams which show that you have an intimate knowledge of the case, rather than knowledge of the case that had been gleaned from a two paragraph summary in a text book. I believe teachers can tell the difference.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

= Jennifer = said:
if you go to uws and study law you will find that you will be taking heaps since the lecturers explain stuff more coherently then what is presented in the textbooks
Lecture notes are the worst of all the notes... I always re-write my lecture notes in a more readable format, otherwise I just get scared when I look at them in a couple of weeks' time.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Lecture notes are the worst of all the notes... I always re-write my lecture notes in a more readable format, otherwise I just get scared when I look at them in a couple of weeks' time.
I don't think I ever seriously took notes for arts in all my three years. Arts lectures are for getting the vibe, most of the time. Most arts courses are about researching and writing essays.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
At my school, if someone is game enough to even admit they haven't done the reading the teacher doesn't stop to explain, they ask someone else and keep going.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
erawamai said:
I don't think I ever seriously took notes for arts in all my three years. Arts lectures are for getting the vibe, most of the time. Most arts courses are about researching and writing essays.
I usually go to lectures just to perve and get out of my cubicle. When I take notes, I often find that I don't use them anyway. I only ever end up using the basic lecture outline as a skeleton for making my own study guide. I've found that the tutorials (when you have a good tute leader) are much more valuable in black letter subjects like torts and contracts.

As a bonus, the, "random hypotheticals" and "I know more than the lecturer" types haven't been in any of my tutes so far, so we went through the content pretty fast.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
At my school, if someone is game enough to even admit they haven't done the reading the teacher doesn't stop to explain, they ask someone else and keep going.
Well they don't exacrtly stop but the teacher may put the person on the spot for the next few weeks when it comes to answering questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)