Law school leeches (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
In a perfect world everyone in the class has done the reading and knows the reasoning found in the judgment well enough to explain it to the class before he or she walks into the classroom.
4 law subjects x 2 classes a week x 20-30 pages a class = 160 - 240 pages a week. it's not always feasible. heck, it wasn't feasible for me most weeks. :(

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Its true. In which case its best to keep a low profile in the class!
Yep...however I found that good reasonable teachers understand if you pass on a question...as long as it doesn't happen every week.

_Alfie_

HSC
Heh, assignment time is miracle time. All your worst enemies suddenly decide to become your best friends (well, up till the due date anyways)...lol

My way of handling them is to tell them I don't have any notes (since I actually never take any notes...hehe).

And if you do decide to help someone, don't tell anyone else, nasty problems can ensue. Like pl givng you evil stares for helping your friend out and not them. Or getting flooded on msn by superficial "Hey, how are you doin?"s which are then followed by numerous requests for you know what.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
I am now quite concerned about my reputation around the law shool ... It seems that everyone who's anyone is asked by these so-called "law school leeches" to help on assignments etc. I have never been approached. Does this mean that everyone thinks I'm not worth asking? It does rather make one feel all dirty on the inside.

But then again, ZeeWoo*, the most brilliant lass I know, who has topped more classes than I've had overpriced continental breakfasts, has not been approached either ... I'm all confusèd :(

Maybe the leech infestation is not as bad at USyd? If anyone could enlighten me, it would be ever so grand - I've got a free copy of the Book of Mormon to give away to the most illuminating correspondent! :)

I better get back to work. Love you all,
:wave:

* Not her real name - der, Fred.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ManlyChief said:
I am now quite concerned about my reputation around the law shool ... It seems that everyone who's anyone is asked by these so-called "law school leeches" to help on assignments etc. I have never been approached. Does this mean that everyone thinks I'm not worth asking? It does rather make one feel all dirty on the inside.

But then again, ZeeWoo*, the most brilliant lass I know, who has topped more classes than I've had overpriced continental breakfasts, has not been approached either ... I'm all confusèd :(

Maybe the leech infestation is not as bad at USyd? If anyone could enlighten me, it would be ever so grand - I've got a free copy of the Book of Mormon to give away to the most illuminating correspondent! :)

I better get back to work. Love you all,
:wave:

* Not her real name - der, Fred.
Maybe you two don't appear to be as warm. soft and cuddly as the rest of us?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It happens in IT as well, espcially with programming =.=.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Wow...I can't believe the leech hate here. Figures, you're all competitive nerds to be on a site like this in the first place.

I don't mind helping friends out (I mean what kinda friend are you if you lie to them and say you have nothing when you do have something). And in turn they help me out at some other stage. The goodwill always comes back so I don't act like fuckwit about it and make it seem like I'm going out of my way to attach a file and click send. I've never sent a final copy, but other people have sent me final copies before I had finished without me asking to read it over.

For non-mates: tell them such and such has finished (when you know they haven't) and supply msn contacts and phone numbers as necessary. Good times!

Collusion in take home assignments...well most people do it. If you have any friends in the subject, its almost harder not to mention something on msn or over coffee, etc. The smartest people do it the most if it's issue spotting-type assignments.

I've heard of large groups that would meet as the take home is released and then work out all the answers and then write it up themselves. And that way they'd ensure they haven't missed anything and almost gurantee a D or HD.

And yes, it's a rampant at USYD from what friends tell me...but maybe you seem like a tight-arse so people stay clear.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
One might speculate that because they actually do hard work, they don't like someone using their work as their own and receiving just the same marks.

So unreasonable :rolleyes:

_Alfie_

HSC
GoodToGo said:
Wow...I can't believe the leech hate here. Figures, you're all competitive nerds to be on a site like this in the first place.
Hey, I'm offended :mad1:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
His frown is very nice in that particular photo.

maka

HSC
Sharing and exchanging notes and collaborating collectively on an assignment is not leeching, its called smart team work. I swap notes with my mates, we collaborate or brainstorm together on assignments.

Leeching involves others doing no work and just copying an assignment etc.

See people accept the smart team work as they are not individualistic and it makes sense to maximise your marks but why would you allow someone who you a) dont consider a friend b) lazy to contribute use your work and get the smae (if not better) mark?

These people who dont like leeching obviously value hard work, honesty and integrity and pride in their work. Rightfully so too

dissipate

HSC
N/A
so.... after 4 pages of discussion, what's the best way to handle leeches? :p

late in the semester i was asked by 2 people for con and admin notes, and a 3rd person just asked me for practically the whole semester's worth of notes for 2 subjects. i usually help people who have something urgent on and have to skip a lecture, or who fall sick, or who give me something useful in exchange, but this guy could not be bothered to attend those lectures at all!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
dissipate said:
so.... after 4 pages of discussion, what's the best way to handle leeches? :p

late in the semester i was asked by 2 people for con and admin notes, and a 3rd person just asked me for practically the whole semester's worth of notes for 2 subjects. i usually help people who have something urgent on and have to skip a lecture, or who fall sick, or who give me something useful in exchange, but this guy could not be bothered to attend those lectures at all!
Slap him...if he is able to work out a case against you for that he doesn't need the notes. If he can't work out a case against you he doesn't deserve your notes.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i would be so screwed without grabbing my friends notes this semester rofl

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
i would be so screwed without grabbing my friends notes this semester rofl
:eek:
You're meant to be a good example for us new law students:p

circusmind

HSC
I go out of my way to help a mate. Everyone else can fuck off. Well....probably unless they're hot enough to trick me into it, which is highly likely...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)