Law students (only) :D (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
My Learned 'Friends'. :devil:

How do you enjoy Law school?

What sort of career are you leaning towards?
Whether that be law-related or not.

Personally at the rate I'm going I think I'll end up working in the public service.
The idea of working very long hours for relatively low pay, chasing the eternal carrot of 'senior associate', let alone partnership doesn't bode well with me.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's ok, I get by. I prefer High School, but Law School is something different I guess.

Where am I heading? Definitely law-related - but not sure where.

Likely corporate law - hopefully in a big 6 Australian firm (eye on Blakes, Minters or Mallesons). If not, I wouldn't mind Corrs or Baker & McKenzie.

My marks are about borderline in terms of acceptance into such firms - but if I can't make it, there's always mid-tier =) I don't mind working long hours (I say that now...likely it will change when I get older).

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
It's ok, I get by. I prefer High School, but Law School is something different I guess.

Where am I heading? Definitely law-related - but not sure where.

Likely corporate law - hopefully in a big 6 Australian firm (eye on Blakes, Minters or Mallesons). If not, I wouldn't mind Corrs or Baker & McKenzie.

My marks are about borderline in terms of acceptance into such firms - but if I can't make it, there's always mid-tier =) I don't mind working long hours (I say that now...likely it will change when I get older).
The people at my uni always seem to be making fun of Blakes, and utz.

I've heard very good things about Gilbert & Tobin. (Apparently they will soon elapse one of the 6, and become 'top tier').

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Where do you go to uni?

People criticise Clutz for the sexism case that they have going on at the moment (and the fact that Clare from Masterchef last year totally had a rant about Clutz on national TV). I will admit to not liking Clutz as much as other firms, but still, I'd take the job at Clutz if I were offered it. :p

Blakes, I haven't heard much bad about it - to be honest, Blakes is where I would want to work.

G+T would be fantastic as well. :)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
UWS haha.

All the lecturers I've had so far seem to be from Mallesons, Minters, or Allans.

They were making fun of Clutz even before that case, and Blakes too haha.

woga1

Banned
HSC
N/A
Law students are backstabbing cunts

also law is just about memorising laws and shit, who can't do that?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Woga's a troll who has been banned by me (and other mods), many times before. ;)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
It always crack me up when lawyers call each other friends when they really aren't.

Anyway, law school is ok..pretty laidback compared to other faculties, although I hated it during my first 1.5 yrs in law and wanted to drop it several times. Still, I am not aspiring to be a corporate lawyer or top tiered law firm partner because I know their working hours and life is shit. I am thinking of doing something along the lines of tax law or accounting, preferably in the public sector.

Guesss

HSC
You Know You're a Law Student When......

You consider dropping out of law school approximately every hour, but after that first semester you realized you were already in too much debt to be anything other than a lawyer.

You can name without hesitation at least three people who make you want to throw things when you see them raise their hands in class.

You think IRAC and CREAC are just code for saying the same thing over and over.

You are truly and deeply unnerved by the thought of some of your classmates becoming solicitors or advocates.

Sometimes during disagreements you are tempted to 12(6)(b) the offending friend or family member.

You can’t remember if you decided to come to law school because you wanted to help people and make a difference in the world or because you hate yourself.

You can’t think of any legitimate reason why a law student would need access to certain public records, but you can think of a whole lot of illegitimate ones.

After the first semester you realized that “briefing a case” need only consist of looking it up on Lexis or Westlaw.

You’re ready to strangle the next friend or relative to say jokingly "good thing you’re studying law I may need your help one day”

When someone is expressing their frustration or anger about something that is in any way related to the law, you can’t be sympathetic because you’re too busy figuring out in your head if they have a cause of action.

You hear about the death of an elderly friend or relative and wonder if they died intestate..

You're pretty sure the reasonable man is a friendless tool who still lives with his mother..

You think Mrs Donoghue should have swallowed the f*****g snail and saved us all the headache!

You never answer a question without saying "well, that depends on the specific facts of the case..."

You say "expressly" instead of "explicitly"…

You have considered naming your future children A, B and C to simplify conveyances of property...

You are tempted to kill the next person who asks you what area of law you plan to focus on…

You’ve argued over a semicolon…

You have been asked for legal advice by people who foolishly assume that subjects stay in your head after the invigilator collects your exam paper

You refer to well-known judges as if they were old friends

You have experienced uncontrollable waves of anger at people relaxing in the sunshine

You have passed all of your previous exams but still believe that "this time, I'm definitely f****d"

You have considered changing career paths to hot dog vendor, stilt walker, or career alcoholic

You realise that human rights were only invented to piss off 1st year students who really couldn't care less about some convict who didn't like to s**t in a bucket

You come to hate it when people start referring to cases in general conversation

You find that 50% of medics treat you worse than something on the sole of their shoes

The drama in your life now rivals that of high school.

You make adverse possession jokes.

Dylanamali

HSC
What are the job prospects like at UWS in comparison to USyd/UNSW?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
It always crack me up when lawyers call each other friends when they really aren't.

Anyway, law school is ok..pretty laidback compared to other faculties, although I hated it during my first 1.5 yrs in law and wanted to drop it several times. Still, I am not aspiring to be a corporate lawyer or top tiered law firm partner because I know their working hours and life is shit. I am thinking of doing something along the lines of tax law or accounting, preferably in the public sector.
'My Learned Friend' haha.

I want to work in the public sector too.
Probably in criminal law.
I might transfer from commerce to social science, so it'd just be criminal..
not sure if i'm limiting my career aspects too much by that.

we go to the same uni and both do law... do i know you ?! :s lol
I might have met you in one of my subjects.
but law students tend to stick to themselves. (particularly after 1st year).
It's a big law school too.
I think it was something like 800 first years enrolled.
I presume half of them drop out, and the other 1/4 transfer to other law schools, since in my 4th year subject there was only 4 classes available (so a maximum of 120 students enrolled in that subject)

Does anyone here have Hon. ?
Not many law students bother to do Hon.
Just because most students want to graduate asap, and don't want to do the extra year.
Some schools have it so that they can do Hons. as 2 electives with a dissertation. (you need to have a D average to do this though)

The interesting thing about law is that many of the best solicitors, barristers, don't have 'honours', 'masters', or 'Ph.Ds'.
Their work speaks for itself. I think the above is more relevant if you want to get into acadamia.

What are the job prospects like at UWS in comparison to USyd/UNSW?
Depends what you go for.

If it's a top tier firm, USYD/UNSW is definitely better.

Even for upper mid-tier firms.

but then after that it's all pretty much the same.

I think it's more of the individual student as opposed to the University.
But if you're barely passing in either school, I'd say your chances of employment with USYD is much better.

Last edited:

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i like what i learn in law school, but i don't really like the competition & how it's taught (some tutors absolutely grill you to no end under guise of socratic method). also in my uni (i'm at mq) choice of electives is kinda (very) limited. maybe my view of law school is slightly pessimistic b/c this is clerkship season and i feel like 70 wam in law is pretty shiet.

want to work in area of family law or migration law, but at this rate i'll settle for anything that lets me get permanent residency/earn money.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Most law students I have met are douchebags with a few exceptions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)