• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law????? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
gibbo153 said:
lol yeah.

hey dp where are most of your classmates going next year?

med
or com law.
two most popular options, lol

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
peter2 said:
HAHAHA HAHAHAH NO. God you're a stupid little kid. Do you have a life other than posting 700-800 posts. Piece of shit. Have fun killling your life for year 12 trying to get a Good UAI lol when most likely you'll get a shit score. Moron!!! PEACE OUT IM OUTTA HERE! No more replies to little piece of shits like yourself. Got a problem, Private msg me =D
lol dude
how random is this guy

James Cos

HSC
lionking1191 said:
i'm saying this because there are easier pathways in the form of a newly-introduced 'internal transfer' program. basically if you get 97+ you only need a WAM of 70 to get into law which isn't very hard; or 95+ for 75 WAM in your undergrad degree.
some may then believe that this would make the UNSW LLB wayyy too common and it'd lose any prestige it has, since anyone even half-decent would be able to get in

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
James Cos said:
some may then believe that this would make the UNSW LLB wayyy too common and it'd lose any prestige it has, since anyone even half-decent would be able to get in
I felt that too when I was like sitting there with my friend listening to the lecturer. She was saying, "You are guaranteed a place in LLB if you get blah blah blah (what lionking said)"

Is that same for USYD? Please someone tell me.

georgefren

HSC
Well, im going for com/law at usyd, which shouldnt be too hard.

But on the other hand, apparantly ANU is really good even though easier to get in. Do they offer combined law degrees at all?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
The standard of ANU's law is quite high as well. Even though they are located in Canberra, the units of study you'd take for a Com/Law degree would be exactly the same as the one which USYD offers. They also offer a variety of combined law degrees, even Music/Law lol. Very interesting combination there :haha:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
James Cos said:
Fortunately there is no preferential internal transfer rubbish at Sydney.
Oh, I am glad.

@TehAzner: Music/Law Comb looks awesome though! Is there anything like Education/Law Comb?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Yep I know Music/Law would be awesome. I was thinking about it last year as well... just couldn't bear having to relocate to a new home. I think ANU (along with most other unis in Sydney) are coming up with new combos each year, so I wouldn't be surprised if a B Edu/LLB comes out in 2-3 years time.

lionking1191

HSC
James Cos said:
Fortunately there is no preferential internal transfer rubbish at Sydney.
in reality the standard of law at USYD, UNSW and ANU are pretty much on par. and besdies, entry requirements are hardly an appropriate judgment of a degree's worth. getting a degree from USYD does not give you an armor of invincibility, you can do well with a degree from UWS even if you are good enough and try hard enough.

as for UNSW getting 'swamped' with those 'less worthy because they got .xxx lower uai', atm career prospects for unsw and usyd are rather similar, and is unlikely to change in the short to medium term. major firms (eg. clayton, wolfram) have set quotas for graduates from the two unis and last i heard the numbers were equal.. so even if you can't get into USYD it's no heartbreaker

TehAzner said:
Yep I know Music/Law would be awesome. I was thinking about it last year as well... just couldn't bear having to relocate to a new home. I think ANU (along with most other unis in Sydney) are coming up with new combos each year, so I wouldn't be surprised if a B Edu/LLB comes out in 2-3 years time.
lol we should have a competition to find the random-est/useless-est combinations ever. atm i'm thinking of the 99.90 textiles/dt/it combo or whatever it was at UTS

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
peter2 said:
HAHAHA HAHAHAH NO. God you're a stupid little kid. Do you have a life other than posting 700-800 posts. Piece of shit. Have fun killling your life for year 12 trying to get a Good UAI lol when most likely you'll get a shit score. Moron!!! PEACE OUT IM OUTTA HERE! No more replies to little piece of shits like yourself. Got a problem, Private msg me =D
^lol. never have i seen someone so keen to revel in their lack of genitalea and/or brain.

BoS should start screening these forums and getting rid of some of the trash (see quote)

i think i will private message him haha

jenecis

HSC
TehAzner said:
The standard of ANU's law is quite high as well. Even though they are located in Canberra, the units of study you'd take for a Com/Law degree would be exactly the same as the one which USYD offers. They also offer a variety of combined law degrees, even Music/Law lol. Very interesting combination there :haha:
Really? All the people I know who go to ANU are those whose UAI's weren't high enough (or even close) to get into USyd or UNSW law ... =p

circusmind

HSC
jenecis said:
Really? All the people I know who go to ANU are those whose UAI's weren't high enough (or even close) to get into USyd or UNSW law ... =p
That's because you live in Sydney, amirite? It's an ANU nation now; KRudd is leading the charge.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
jenecis said:
Same, but the thing is they have had their sights set on a Combined Law degree since the start of high school; well that's what most of the people I know have told me as their reasoning for choosing ANU.

x3.eddayyeeee

HSC
fareezuh said:
all i want is to go back and fix Pakistan the country where i was born and get rid of the terrorists, the corruption and the poverty. am i being too ambitious? because ghandi said "you must be the chnage you wish to view in the world"
s
^isn't that motivational enough? :O
btw. nice ambition. :)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
TunaFish said:
Yeah, it's 90.
Though if you receive a band 6 in Legal Studies, they'll award you 5 bonus UAI points. Hence you can get in with 85UAI minimum.

UoW also offers Law at 90.
Actually you can achieve up to 10 bonus points with UWS... (a total of ten. Technically I received 15, but only 10 were permitted.)

Adv. English (band 5 or 6) gets you 10 bonus
EE1 (E3 or E4) gets you 10 bonus
EE2 (E3 or E4) gets you 10 bonus
Legal Studies (Band 5 or 6) gets you 10 bonus (NOT 5)
Under the Greater Western Scheme living in certain suburbs gets you 5 bonus

UWS: Law

OP: This effectively lowers the cut-off further.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wixxy2348 said:
Actually you can achieve up to 10 bonus points with UWS... (a total of ten. Technically I received 15, but only 10 were permitted.)

Adv. English (band 5 or 6) gets you 10 bonus
EE1 (E3 or E4) gets you 10 bonus
EE2 (E3 or E4) gets you 10 bonus
Legal Studies (Band 5 or 6) gets you 10 bonus (NOT 5)
Under the Greater Western Scheme living in certain suburbs gets you 5 bonus

UWS: Law

OP: This effectively lowers the cut-off further.
Wish they had this when I was in yr 12, would have resulted in less worrying on my part lol.

Gerald10

HSC
Regarding the job prospects for graduates... Historically speaking only USyd has produced High Court Justices but that is more to do with it being the oldest Law School - any High Cort Justice would have completed their degree at least 40 years when UNSW may well have been inferior since it was relatively young. That said the entire State of South Australia hasn't had a High Court Justice...

The advice I got from a friend who is an MLC and former Lawyer (who went to UNSW) was that its easier to get into the big firms (if thats what you want to do) from Sydney and UNSW but really its more important how well you do at university that well effect your job prospects. Although a First Class Honours at Sydney or UNSW would mean you could pretty much choose wherever you wanted to work.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
melsc said:
Wish they had this when I was in yr 12, would have resulted in less worrying on my part lol.
Yeah it really does/did.
It meant I could aim lower (UAI 85) while still being guaranteed a Priority offer in prelim round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)