lecture vs book (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
hmmm i just downloaded the lecture schedule and it details that in week 0?!?!? we start all the obvious intro crap (this is chem1901/1903) but in week 1 we start off with the topics of Nuclear and Radiation Chemistry:

-nucleons, nuclides and isotops, kinetics of decay, natural radiactivity etc.

but this is the LAST CHAPTER OF THE TEXT BOOK!!!! (chemistry by silberberg 3rd ed)

wtf is happening here? y dont the lectures follow the layout of the book, i mean it was constructed for that purpose.

I dont know where to start now, the beginning or the back of the book.....although the nuclear side is probably the most easiest chapter....hmmmmm

:p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lecture does not go necessarily by the schedule of the book... unlike hsc... keep in mind that ronald smith prolly worked at bos for quite a long while, whereas silberberg is an american ... not affiliated with australia in any way... uni jsut said that his text book is in colour and very fundamental, so taht all uni student shud use it... that's all...

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
xiao1985 said:
lecture does not go necessarily by the schedule of the book... unlike hsc... keep in mind that ronald smith prolly worked at bos for quite a long while, whereas silberberg is an american ... not affiliated with australia in any way... uni jsut said that his text book is in colour and very fundamental, so taht all uni student shud use it... that's all...
yes i know that, but isnt the book fundamentally the item that we learn from the most, at home bar the lectures and tutes?

hence, the book should be the main focus not only because it is one huge book (lol university phys is massive) but the info in it will prolli kill any lecture?

oh yes, arent the lectures supposed to "support" the book?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
no, uni is a lot different to school. Textbooks, even when reccommended by lecturers are really just reference tools, rather than guides as to what you need to know. The best way to know what to learn is by showing up to lectures and tutes, and then if you want to do further readng, or dont fully understand a topic, thats when you consult the textbook.

Its rather that the book supports the lecture. Its the lecturers who set the exams, not the textbook author.

if you really want to read the textbook for interests sake, go ahead, but not all that is in it will be covered in lectures, and some stuff may be covered in lectures that is not in the book, so in terms of simply getting ahead in uni, it might be a bit of a waste of time.

zeropoint

HSC
dark_angel said:
yes i know that, but isnt the book fundamentally the item that we learn from the most, at home bar the lectures and tutes?

hence, the book should be the main focus not only because it is one huge book (lol university phys is massive) but the info in it will prolli kill any lecture?

oh yes, arent the lectures supposed to "support" the book?
Working through University Physics are we? ;) I have that book too and it sure is a monster. I'm pretty sure it covers everything the lecturers could throw at you. Whereabouts are you up to? If you look on the school of physics website I think they have the syllabus for phys 1901 with page references. If you like, we can help each other out, as the university encourages cooperation :)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Mambomeg said:
no, uni is a lot different to school. Textbooks, even when reccommended by lecturers are really just reference tools, rather than guides as to what you need to know. The best way to know what to learn is by showing up to lectures and tutes, and then if you want to do further readng, or dont fully understand a topic, thats when you consult the textbook.

Its rather that the book supports the lecture. Its the lecturers who set the exams, not the textbook author.

if you really want to read the textbook for interests sake, go ahead, but not all that is in it will be covered in lectures, and some stuff may be covered in lectures that is not in the book, so in terms of simply getting ahead in uni, it might be a bit of a waste of time.
but if we are hardly going to use the book then why do we pay so much for the damn thing

how can it be a waste of time? its better than nothing.....

its not just phys btw, i am studying chem and math also, although ive just got the 4th edition of stewarts calculus.....on ebook format....lol

Generator

HSC
N/A
The price of a textbook is in no way linked to its usefulness.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
zeropoint said:
Working through University Physics are we? ;) I have that book too and it sure is a monster. I'm pretty sure it covers everything the lecturers could throw at you. Whereabouts are you up to? If you look on the school of physics website I think they have the syllabus for phys 1901 with page references. If you like, we can help each other out, as the university encourages cooperation :)
Hello zeropoint, firstly i think it would be a great advantage to us both if we help each other out, not only because the university encourages co-operation but for the sheer fact of having someone to talk to who is doing the same thing :)

i too share the opinion that if i complete (most) of the book by the time our first lecture starts (if that is even remotely possible....its like jacaranda phys times 10!!!) then we would be at a distinct advantage.

having a good friend to turn for help is another :)

ive just started on mechanics, and i have to thank you for pointing out the syllabus for 04...i have been searching for it for a while now, i cant believe i couldnt figure out you could click on the individual topics on the site :(

oh well, i am interested to know where you are up to, because i have just bought the books i am not as far ahead as you would be.....

if you are coming to the science transition workshop, we can meet up there!

zeropoint

HSC
dark_angel said:
Hello zeropoint, firstly i think it would be a great advantage to us both if we help each other out, not only because the university encourages co-operation but for the sheer fact of having someone to talk to who is doing the same thing :)

i too share the opinion that if i complete (most) of the book by the time our first lecture starts (if that is even remotely possible....its like jacaranda phys times 10!!!) then we would be at a distinct advantage.

having a good friend to turn for help is another :)

ive just started on mechanics, and i have to thank you for pointing out the syllabus for 04...i have been searching for it for a while now, i cant believe i couldnt figure out you could click on the individual topics on the site :(

oh well, i am interested to know where you are up to, because i have just bought the books i am not as far ahead as you would be.....

if you are coming to the science transition workshop, we can meet up there!
I've also been perusing the section on mechanics so I'm quite familiar with the work from chapters 1 to 12 as well as some of the later chapters such as relativity theory. Email is a good way to communicate in addition to these forums. If you run into any difficulties let me know on jstokes@darkbriar.com. Oh, and don't study too hard or you might burn out! ;)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
dark_angel said:
but if we are hardly going to use the book then why do we pay so much for the damn thing

how can it be a waste of time? its better than nothing.....
Well just speaking from my own personal experience, i got a lot more out of lectures and tutes than from reading a textbook.
It is better than nothing, but after a semester of uni, your mind will need a break, enjoy your holidays while you are on them man.

I dont think the effort put in to reading entire textbooks will be worth the advantage you will get once uni starts.

And you dont have to buy the texbooks, they are just reccommended, if you cant afford it, you can use the library's copies.

but hey, its your choice.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Mambomeg said:
Well just speaking from my own personal experience, i got a lot more out of lectures and tutes than from reading a textbook.
It is better than nothing, but after a semester of uni, your mind will need a break, enjoy your holidays while you are on them man.

I dont think the effort put in to reading entire textbooks will be worth the advantage you will get once uni starts.

And you dont have to buy the texbooks, they are just reccommended, if you cant afford it, you can use the library's copies.

but hey, its your choice.
hello megan!

thanks for your advice, i think i should borrow the calculus book by stewart from the library, but i got my books for only 50 dollars or so off a friend, so it was no big deal.

i'm studying off the detailed program in regards to phys1901 last year, where it states what we need to study, such as problems etc in the textbook. (thanx to james)

the assignments are basically questions from the textbook, so it will be advantageous for me to complete them don't u think?

edit: i have nothing going on, except martial arts twice a week, holidays are so boring

Last edited:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
zeropoint said:
I've also been perusing the section on mechanics so I'm quite familiar with the work from chapters 1 to 12 as well as some of the later chapters such as relativity theory. Email is a good way to communicate in addition to these forums. If you run into any difficulties let me know on jstokes@darkbriar.com. Oh, and don't study too hard or you might burn out! ;)

woah so far already? are u doing chemistry and math also?

btw are u in first year?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
oi...u smarty pants, organised, nerds/geeks [meant in a nice way:eek:].....where did u get ur text books?....how did u knu which one to get?....how much?....thnx

tennille

HSC
LoneShadow said:
oi...u smarty pants, organised, nerds/geeks [meant in a nice way:eek:].....where did u get ur text books?....how did u knu which one to get?....how much?....thnx
Get second-hand books from that textbook exchange thing on the net. You would have received that in that bag with the diary.

You can go on the website and check how much they are once you register (which is free).

zeropoint

HSC
dark_angel said:
woah so far already? are u doing chemistry and math also?

btw are u in first year?
Lol, hell no! I have stewart calculus but I'm not bored enough to study it yet ;). Physics is a hobby of mine, so I own quite a few text books including University Physics. Yes I'm also in first year, so I'll see you at the workshop day!

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Tennille said:
Get second-hand books from that textbook exchange thing on the net. You would have received that in that bag with the diary.

You can go on the website and check how much they are once you register (which is free).
hmmm i have to say that some of the people dont respond.....and all the editions are old. (most of the science books anyways)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Tennille said:

or you can borrow from fischer?!?!?

going there monday to get calculus by stewart and prolli that bio one also

tennille

HSC
dark_angel said:
hmmm i have to say that some of the people dont respond.....and all the editions are old. (most of the science books anyways)
Yeah, I was looking for an astronomy book, and i need the 8th edition, but there was only the 6th and 7th editions.

tennille

HSC
dark_angel said:
or you can borrow from fischer?!?!?

going there monday to get calculus by stewart and prolli that bio one also
That's a good idea. I might do that. Thanks.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Tennille said:
Yeah, I was looking for an astronomy book, and i need the 8th edition, but there was only the 6th and 7th editions.
wah, are u into astronomy also?!?!?

i absolutely love astronomy, shouldve taken that distinction course (cosmology)

damn :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)