lecture vs book (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I didn't think string theory was up to that stage yet.

It basically turns into current quantum theory and relativity at all but high density areas such as black holes. What string theory does is try to combine the two.

To see any real evidence of string theory would require a fair bit more observation of black holes to see. In any case, quanta started out in a similar fashion before more evidence became available. The graviton predicted by it might be discovered when the newest particle accelerators come online in a few years but they are searching for the Higgs Boson first.

With M-theory the shortest length in the universe is Plancks Length, if the universe is in a big crunch/big bang cycle (unlikely but possible) that means that it starts off at plancks length, removing the infinite energy density and removing the singularity, which means we should be able to tell what occurs before that. Of course it could just be that at such energies, the time dimension undergoes changes that makes it impossible to see what occured earlier.

Last edited:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Xayma said:

It basically turns into current quantum theory and relativity at all but high density areas such as black holes. What string theory does is try to combine the two.

To see any real evidence of string theory would require a fair bit more observation of black holes to see. In any case, quanta started out in a similar fashion before more evidence became available. The graviton predicted by it might be discovered when the newest particle accelerators come online in a few years but they are searching for the Higgs Boson first.
yeah i read about that today

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
u r old...end of statement..:D...[u'll not be pissed at my reply unless u r a girl...so...I dare u to argue about it...:D]

edit:...btw duckie xioaie d00d fella mate......do u still have ur textbooks....if so..I want them...not for free...:D
i can be a guy and be pissed... which is wut i am doin now ><

@ 0pt, dark angel, xayma: lolz i can already picture three of u sittin in phys buildin discussion room completin ur phys tsp project ahahaha...

yes i deliberately left lonely shadow... for some retaliation purposes of cuz >=D
oh btw, i am not sellin my text books... i never sold any of my text books and well... prolly wont' start now either... sorry =p better look at other directions...

oh btw, if u guys are lookin for math and phys text books, a fwnd will NOT do either maths or phys again... he got new first hand for both book ... ok but his books does deteriate abit in quality, but that's a good reason to turn the price down... if anyone's interested i can ask him to sell his book =D

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Why is that when a Physics discussion arises Xayma always happens to magically appear =P ? it's like a magnetic attraction

zeropoint

HSC
Xayma said:
It's not and maybe it never will be. All I'm saying is that the ability of a theory to make accurate predictions is a sufficient criterion for acceptance. To my very limited knowledge, no existing theory predicts accurately the behaviour of both very light particles such as protons and electrons, and very heavy objects such as planets and stars. This would be the eventual goal of string theory.

thaoroxy2001 said:
Why is that when a Physics discussion arises Xayma always happens to magically appear =P ? it's like a magnetic attraction
lol! I dunno, but I like it. :D

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
zeropoint said:
It's not and maybe it never will be. All I'm saying is that the ability of a theory to make accurate predictions is a sufficient criterion for acceptance. To my very limited knowledge, no existing theory predicts accurately the behaviour of both very light particles such as protons and electrons, and very heavy objects such as planets and stars. This would be the eventual goal of string theory.

lol! I dunno, but I like it. :D
didnt einstein prove that they can never connected or something,

i mean like describe both quantum mechanics and general/special theory of relativity?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No. Einstein was in search for them, and Einstein was just around at the start of the quantum revolution well when he was doing his relativity work.

Hawking has doubts that such a theory will ever be found putting the odds at less than 50% a while back. String Theory might be this but then again it might not.

There is one or two other theories that support both, but they both have large problems which string theory doesn't have.

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
i can be a guy and be pissed... which is wut i am doin now ><

@ 0pt, dark angel, xayma: lolz i can already picture three of u sittin in phys buildin discussion room completin ur phys tsp project ahahaha...

yes i deliberately left lonely shadow... for some retaliation purposes of cuz >=D
oh btw, i am not sellin my text books... i never sold any of my text books and well... prolly wont' start now either... sorry =p better look at other directions...

oh btw, if u guys are lookin for math and phys text books, a fwnd will NOT do either maths or phys again... he got new first hand for both book ... ok but his books does deteriate abit in quality, but that's a good reason to turn the price down... if anyone's interested i can ask him to sell his book =D

WaaAaAaAaaAAAAAaaaaaaaAaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa.......*sniff*..*sniff*.......I somehow can never stay outa trouble....:'(

......I have a hypothesis about y I always get in trouble with duckie.......it's his avator...whenever I look at it....I feel riting somthing a bit "horny"...:D:eek:.........

....*goes back to making rain***....*sniff*...*sniff*

Edit: btw...I'm not that younger than u either.....:eek:

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
String Theory....& dat fella's dream....hmmm...wat was his name?...oh yeah....Einstein......

dat was tv program on SBS...I watched the whole lot except the last part..:'(....I had to go to "see" some "relatives"....Blah......*get's a bucket*.

I luved it too....but didnt knu u guys luv it so much dat create "BIG" discussion about it........obviously u guys have read aboiut it too...except duckie!

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
OI XIAO.........u play chess too?...lol...just noticed dat in ur profile...:eek:......

....so do I.....I mean I used to...but haven't played any chess for the past 1-1.5 years......

do u play in competitions too?......I might have played u......

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz oh serz??!! =p i used to play in inter school chess compt... played in some junior compitition, but never take it up serzly... i am an average player (or below average) in usyd chess club... =D kekeke

now... wut's ur name??!! as in real name...

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
I used to play for Holroyd High School in 2001 [I was learning English there]....and we were the runner up for western sydney region. I played board no. 2. But in the finals I played board no 1 [due to absence of our board no 1 player]...and guess who I lost to?....the Australian under 18 champ....dat nerd looking dude with glasses @ Normanhurst High. I didnt knu him at the time of the game...but in the way back to school...the teacher told me about him.......:eek:.

after dat I didnt play until 2003 where I played for Fairfield RSL in the rappid chess comp in West Ryde...and came second in the under 18 devision.

after that I quit chess.......haven't played since.

I was an average played back then...but now...I'm somewhere between below average and beginner.

and for my real name...Mohammad

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hm... tomek rej??? dunworry... not alot of pplz can defeat him... he's in the same grade as u =p u neva know... u might also see him around usyd...

personally i saw kuan kuan tian the other day at owk... taht was demoralisin =S

u serz?!?!i always thougt u r a chinky?!?!

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
hm... tomek rej??? dunworry... not alot of pplz can defeat him... he's in the same grade as u =p u neva know... u might also see him around usyd...

personally i saw kuan kuan tian the other day at owk... taht was demoralisin =S

u serz?!?!i always thougt u r a chinky?!?!
*lol...had forgotten about this thread*

Tomek Rej..so dat's his name......I could've managed a draw...if I hadn't made one of the most stupid mistakes in chess.......I got forked on Bishop and Rook.....I don't know how it happened or wat I was thinking..but it did......and it was in a wide open board close to end game.:eek:

If I see him again...I'll be willing to play him again..not like a rematch..cuz he will kick my back side......*I haven't played chess for long time now*...but as a fun and probably learning experience.

Kuan Kuan Tian....hmmmmm.....haven't heard of him........but am sensing he's one of the 31!735.

I'm not chinky but I have chinky blood in me from my ansistors...:D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz kuan kuan's one the best... he looks scary and he is scary too... =\ i'd never want to see him =(

ask any of the grammer's on this site... they prolly know him...

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
xiao1985 said:
lolz kuan kuan's one the best... he looks scary and he is scary too... =\ i'd never want to see him =(

ask any of the grammer's on this site... they prolly know him...
lol, stop talking abt chess already, xiao, what was the first topic you did in chem first yr?

zeropoint

HSC
dark_angel said:
lol, stop talking abt chess already, xiao, what was the first topic you did in chem first yr?
I second that. Chess geeks are scary :D. So dark_angel, how's Y & F going?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
zeropoint said:
I second that. Chess geeks are scary :D. So dark_angel, how's Y & F going?
hi zeropoint!

yeah i just realised that i basically know most of chapters 1-12 and a few chapters on modern phys (relativity, photos, electrons, de broglie, particle phys [btw i had to learnt the ENTIRE standard model of matter, which i used to write 7 pages for that question...hahahaha i'm so stupid) because i did quanta to quarks for phys option, let alone the other sciences also, and 4unit maths. BUT i still need to work through all of it to learn stuff like using integration for work, etc. But the basic concepts i understand. Its good, because its suprisingly not as difficult as i thought it was. Its kind of a mix between jacaranda and 4unit maths.

very interesting stuff, but i'm only like up to chapter 3 because i'm also concentrating on maths, i'm learning matricies right now, but might put it off until i finish all the first yr adv calc topics. multiple integ. taylor polys etc.

chem i think i might just read the whole damn book :)

edit: oh shit sorry, i think ive just written my autobiography

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)