life skillls + counselling support- public, private, selective? (1 Viewer)

talisman

HSC
I've always been interested in the public vs private debate and there are heated arguments for both sides.

I went to a pretty good public school from K to 6 and I'm currently in a private school. Obviously I can't compare private schools (based on my school) to selective and public high schools so I was wondering people who may have gone to more than one or people who have heard about them, which type (public, private, selective) allows students to develop life skills the best?

Personally, I would think private, but that's probs because I go to one. I feel that public speaking skills, group work skills, participation in charity work, an all-rounded education is more common among private school students than public school students. The aforementioned are heavily emphasised at my school.

One thing that strikes me as the best quality of private schools is their support network. The support network at my school is incredible. Teachers and students alike put in 100000000% to make sure everyone is happy and that students have an immediate person to go to if there are family issues, school issues, friend issues. There really is zero bullying at my school, the policy is so tight, and any discussion of it isn't tedious, it's constructive and everyone is interested.

So what do you guys think? In terms of development of life skills and providing a support network, which is the best?

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends (almost, if not entirely) on the specific school than whether or not it's private or public.

delian

HSC
N/A
I think that some private schools are a bit sheltered ie your peers are middle-upper class. But once you're in the workforce, you will be dealing with a whole range of people from different socio-economic backgrounds.

imo public schools can help you develop life skills just as well as private.

talisman

HSC
I think that some private schools are a bit sheltered ie your peers are middle-upper class. But once you're in the workforce, you will be dealing with a whole range of people from different socio-economic backgrounds.

the majority of selective students are middle/upper class students as well. in terms of public schools, i suppose you've defined life skills there as being able to understand and interact with people from different socio-economic backgrounds. how about public speaking skills...bullying?

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Lol a lot of "upper" class people so to speak, act exactly the same as those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, so I don't think lack of exposure to people from these backgrounds in private schools really makes much of a difference imo

enoilgam

HSC
It depends on the school and especially the individual. Personally though, I've never been a fan of private schools (when I say private, I mean $20,000 a-year-in-fees private). I think for the amount you pay, you dont really get much more then you would in say a systemic catholic school or a public school for that matter. Also, as delian mentioned, a private school tends to be very sheltered (I recall reading somewhere that independent private school students are more likely to drop out of uni than other students).

However, in saying all that, my belief is that with education, its really up to the person. If your motivated and have some degree of natural ability, you will do well anywhere.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think we can generealise. Depends on the particular schools, like I believe my public school has great focus on volunteerism and public speaking, but I wouldn't generealise they all do.

Though personally I am an ardent advocate of public education. It is what I believe in and what I will send my hypothetical children too. I believe education should be afforded to everyone with a price tag attached.

Yes you can have a fantastic experience at a private school, but I personally wouldn't go there/send my kids there.

talisman

HSC
yea all really good points. i guess as a scholar it's a bit different because you've earned your way there and you're expected to keep your standards up and all that. hahaha HYPOTHETICAL CHILDREN.

i probs wouldn't send my kids to a private school, as in pay for them, no way. i'd make them go to a good public school for primary and let them try out for some private schools and selective. waaaaaaaah. why am i even thinking about kids? i need to think about doing amazeballs in the hsc first :D

HSC
N/A
I go to a private school atm and I like it and if I could afford it, I would send my hypothetical children to the same one, but I do realise how expensive it is & at times I do think it is overpriced for what you receive.
i used to go to a normal catholic school & it was good, but I found that people used to make fun of me and some of my friends, if we did well in exams, you know, the whole 'you're such a nerd!' thing, so I moved to the school im at now :) I'm on a 50% scholarship though, so Im pretty sure my parents pay about $12000 a year instead of $22000.
the school I'm at now really develops you as an individual, there's heaps of emphasis on extra curricular activities yet academics is always number one.
everyone values education and there's no bullying, our grade is pretty small so we're like a family :)
BUT paying $22000 a year for my school is crazy, when we are getting taught the same things as other schools.

zombies

HSC
My previous school was around 25k/yr (didn't pay, was on scholarship) and I don't think paying that much money is ever worth it... I'm much happier at my new (selective) school. I fit in a lot better at my new school too, which is nice.

Although I guess some families can easily afford to spend that much money on their children's education (some families at my old school owned like big boats and mansions and stuff).

In terms of life skills/support, I think you cant just separate between private/public/selective, each school is different.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
You may think $22000 is a lot. Our school upped the prices so it's now approx. $27000. However, the price in my opinion didn't sway my family's decision to move me into a public school. This is because we all treated education as an important thing in life. In my opinion, there isn't anything better then education. Learning is a good experience and one I'd probably continue doing even when I'm perhaps 60 years old someday.

Yes, the fees are endeniably high but I think for my private school, all the support and expertise form teachers especially makes up for all the money I paid. The policies set out and the help from counsellors along with pastoral care have really shaped and made me think beyond the boring curriculum in Australia. So for me, private has clearly been a great support as it developed me as a whole person to appreciate education. Although I say I've been to a public school in primary years, I admit that both were equal, but the private school offered just a little extra for me.

HSC
N/A
$27000 is crazy lol! my brothers school costs about $26000 a year (and he's only in year 7 :|)haha he's on 50% scholarship as well though so my rents pay about $13000 a year for him. He loves his school , so even though my parents sacrifice a lot for us to go to these schools, it will hopefully be worth it in the end :)

talisman

HSC
^ amen.

if only private schools weren't so expensive? but that would never be so

zombies

HSC
^ amen.

if only private schools weren't so expensive? but that would never be so
Hahah of course private schools are going to be expensive! That's what makes them private. If it was cheap.. then anyone could get in, and it'd be like any normal school.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Spiral is home schooled with a weekly allowance of $20. Good on you home-schooled humans!!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It can even be more than just the school but sometimes a school that seems brilliant to one student may come across as a complete failure to another student. The hardest thing I have come across as a teacher is helping parents realise that schools aren't a 'one size fits all' and that they have to look around and try and get the best fit for each child.

Having been educated in government, elite private and systemic catholic and then having taught in government and modest private I am very much an advocate of finding the best fit for the child.

talisman

HSC
^ for real? home schooling is actually pretty genius. i know some people who are home schooled and they're just amazing all-round

Eddykungfu

HSC
Hmm.
I'm currently studying in my final year at University, but I went to Shore, which is a private school in North Sydney. Although I found it VERY strict(behavior, dress-code, etc) I felt that it was a great institution, not just academically, but for character building and it's strong focus on making boys "well-rounded" individuals.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but during my experiences, majority of students steered clear from drugs, smoking and crime. Furthermore, I think 70% of our year lived along the North Shore so it was easy to commute after school/meet up with peers.

Unfortunately, this came at the price of our reputation - Apparently we were all "arrogant, spoiled and stuck up", however stereotypes will always be just that - a stereotype.

I will definately send my kids to Shore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)