list small cars with shit resell so they will be cheap to buy (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
So my car got stolen and i have my insurance money back. It was a commodore and it was great in almost every way, only shit thing was its petrol consumption, i was spending like $90 to fill up every 2 weeks and i dont even drive that much or that far. Since ive been borrowing my dads little Suzuki cino, ive spent like 40$ to fill up about every 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

So i was looking to buy a smaller car this time so it will be cheaper on petrol, but a lot of the smaller cars i like have a good resell so they arent cheap to buy from a private sale.

i was thinking something like:
barina
suzuki swift
toyota echo, corolla, starlett etc

it needs to be around 5k but i can compromise if its 6.5k and then hopefully negotiate them down to 6k [ i have some savings to put towards it if i cant negotiate it down]

Considering i got my commodore for only 4.5k[1998 model but nearly 240 thousand k's] i wasnt expecting smaller cars to cost so much.

Any suggestsions on a good, reliable, cheap to buy secondhand ecconomical small car?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I feel your pain. I want something small so it will be cheap on petrol but used small cars seem to be expensive.

Check out the trading post it seemed to have some decent cars. Hyundai Getz seemed to be reasonable in terms of price. Also try places like pickles.com.au it auctions used govt cars and stuff.

Personally I'd love a new suzuki swift but I think I am going to have to settle for something else.

Ladieoverschool

HSC
Serius said:
i was thinking something like:
barina
suzuki swift
toyota echo, corolla, starlett etc
The corolla is the far best out of any of those you mentioned.. unless its like a barina SRI

and just go on carsales... theres like 200,000 cars

U

Ubik

Corolla's hold their value too well as a used purchase. Most for around $5000 will be worn out. They're pretty pricey. If you can find a good one definetly a winner.
Barina's are shit. Old swifts are nothing special.

The best (cheapest) small cars on the used market are the mazda 121 and Toyota starlet. A Ford Festiva is a rebadged 121, slightly worse in most respects, but fine if you must. For $5000 you'll be looking at something late 90's with just over 100'000km's, in all round excellent condition.

These cars are cheap because they're super basic, and a bit of a deathtrap. Very reliable though, and you can expect to get something like 7L/100km.

You could get a pretty good 4cyl camry for your money, it's no small car, but still passably economic, better than a commodore.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Ubik said:
Corolla's hold their value too well as a used purchase. Most for around $5000 will be worn out. They're pretty pricey. If you can find a good one definetly a winner.
Yea. You should stay away from toyotas because they do hold their value really well. Hyundi getz depreciate heaps - I saw one on drive not long ago for about $9000 and it wasnt even 2 years old, so if you could find one slightly older it may be in your price range. Kia rios also sell for pretty cheap.

But really in your price range I dont think you'll be able to get anything that great, especially not a yaris. It depends how soon you need to buy it. If you are not in a rush then just keep looking till you find a good deal.

Last edited:
HSC
you can get a decent late 90s civic for about 5k or so, which shits on most other smaller cars of the same age

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
get a older R31 shape skyline.
make sure it's turbo, an u have a good little thrasher.
maybe wack a locker diff in it to make burnouts more fun.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Mazda 121's are pretty good, they're very reliable.

I get 500k out of a $45 tank of fuel. WIN!

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
all u gotta make sure is.....does it do good burnouts.
if it cant do burnouts, it better do sick handbrake turns.

F2001

HSC
Charity F said:
I hope its like this one. Because that's pretty sweet.
fucking rice, the scissor doors on that alone would be close to 4k. OIA.

I just dont trust japs with higher mileage, the powertrain (esp boxes) are glass.

I've been looking at E30 318i/318is recently to split with 3 friends (eventually as a project), light cars. Have good potential down the road and can be fun.

Last edited:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
A guy driving a Barina is as bad as a morbidly obese man driving a mini.

Some cars just aren't for guys just as some cars aren't for fat people.

lol.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
JaredR said:
A guy driving a Barina is as bad as a morbidly obese man driving a mini.

Some cars just aren't for guys just as some cars aren't for fat people.

lol.
Why, do barinas produce too much CO for your liking?

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
He likes premium European brands like Volkwagen, cause the ashtrays can fit thousands of Jews.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Funny. We have German cars :).

For future reference I ask you, as an adult to feel free to make fun of anything Jewish but the Holocaust. Because there is absolutely nothing funny about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)