Lobby group seeks election of Muslim MP (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Re: Muslim demands their own MP

And who would you take if neither were secularist, the christian or the muslim (remember compulsory voting)
I'd take them upon their policies. I don't care much what their personal opinions are, I care more for what effect they have. Hypothetical two identical candidates, only difference being one is muslim and one is christian? Then I might care some for their personal opinions, in which case christians in Australia are generally much better.

Except the candidate will be two faced and everyone will see it, just incase your didnt know secularism contradicts every muslim value there is.
Probably, but most muslims I imagine while perhaps wishing for change accept they live in a secular society, especially those who have grown up in Australia.

circusmind

HSC

bshoc said:
Except the candidate will be two faced and everyone will see it, just incase your didnt know secularism contradicts every muslim value there is.
Not true. How do you explain Keith Ellison, a muslim, riding into Congress on a (reasonably) secular Democratic vote?

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
I'd take them upon their policies. I don't care much what their personal opinions are, I care more for what effect they have. Hypothetical two identical candidates, only difference being one is muslim and one is christian? Then I might care some for their personal opinions, in which case christians in Australia are generally much better.
Campaigning mainly from policies derived from their religious beliefs ..

bshoc

HSC
N/A

circusmind said:
Not true. How do you explain Keith Ellison, a muslim, riding into Congress on a (reasonably) secular Democratic vote?
Lets see

1. Majority blacks/immigrants in the electorate
2. Democrats are morons

should I keep going?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Campaigning mainly from policies derived from their religious beliefs ..
When it comes to politics, I don't care. It's an interesting thing for sociologists to investigate, but all that matters to me is what in practice their policies translate to.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
I don't care. It's an interesting thing for sociologists to investigate, but all that matters to me is what in practice their policies translate to.
Cop-out :)

I know your answer, and so do you probably ..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

What do you mean? Do you mean if a christian is running against a muslim on policies based off their religious beliefs? On average I'd say the christian is preferable (as on the whole I find christians to be more secular, hold views closer to my own etc than muslims), but it still comes down to an appreciation of what their actual policies are.

It's no cop out.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
I'd say the christian is preferable
Thankyou, case closed.

circusmind

HSC

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Thankyou, case closed.
What case? The case that on the whole I find myself agreeing more with christians than muslims? I'm culturally 'christian', it's the expected outcome. This doesn't show in any way that muslims attempting to get a MP 'subverts the democratic process' or that they could not be voted in.

Ethnicity Percent[13] White 65.2% African American 16.6% Hispanic or Latino 10.6% Asian 5.8% Native American 1.3% Pacific Islander 0.1%
White on american surveys generally includes people from the middle east.

HSC

I have no objection to muslim being elected to Australian Parliament but what disgust me is their attempt to use religion as a base. This will open a flood of interest groups, communalism, sectarianism wanting to be represented in australia which is the last thing this tiny population of 20 million need.

What they want to see is Australia divided on sectarian lines, with violence we continually witnessed whereever muslims have their own political parties and voters are divided along sectarian, communal and religious lines. Prime examples are Lebanon with 30 years civil war, Afghanistan with 30 years Civil war, Iraq with daily suicide bombings, pakistan with two islamic sects bombing eachother mosques, india where muslims and hindus occasionally attacked each other. Those are the things you will see when muslims are represented to the Parliament on the basis of their religion.

Why does muslims considers themselves different from other australians? Why cant they live in harmony like other minorities such as asians? Does asians have their own MPelected using asian populace as its voter base? Would nt you claim racism if anglo saxon wants representative on the basis of their heritage/religion/country of origin? Would you agree if each community such as serbian, montenegran, Bosnian, italian, Chinese, Germans, Irish, greeks, orthodox, anglicans, buddhist, hindus wants representative on their own?

Think twice before you release that genie in the bottle, once they got it there is no turning back unless without violence.

A true patriot has spoken.:mad1:

circusmind

HSC

Indian Princess said:
I have no objection to muslim being elected to Australian Parliament but what disgust me is their attempt to use religion as a base. This will open a flood of interest groups, communalism, sectarianism wanting to be represented in australia which is the last thing this tiny population of 20 million need.
:rofl: Because pre-2007, special interest groups and religion had NO influence at all on Australian politics :rofl:

el gwapo

HSC

though would a single MP make a real difference in Parliament? you need 50% plus one. if they are to establish something they should try some kind of political party, though to be honest i'm not a real supporter of political parties solely based on religion. and fact-> more Australians are Christian than Muslim. Sydney Northwest's 'Bible belt' is just as influential as Lakemba, without being outspoken in the wrong ways

cowface

HSC

Indian Princess said:
A true patriot has spoken.:mad1:
True Blue Aussies don't call themselves Indian or drink Starbucks coffee, honey.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC

the asian community would like to have an asian mp.
the indian community would like to have an indian mp.
the muslim community would like to have a muslim mp.

if any mp is considered "extreme" then the next time the elections come around, the voters can piss them off, thats a democracy

so what the problem is?

Aryanbeauty

HSC

cowface said:
True Blue Aussies don't call themselves Indian or drink Starbucks coffee, honey.
more like you can't afford to drink starbucks coffee ha ha

lexie85

HSC

Aryanbeauty said:
more like you can't afford to drink starbucks coffee ha ha
very intelligent, how long did it take u to come up with that ?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

Excuse my ignorance on the topic but I was under the impression that it was the responsibility of the MP to represent his or her own respective region and the interests of that region. Therefore to me it comes as no surprise that the Islamic community want an MP who is Muslim, and who understands their own culture and religious customs.

I assume it would be the same for any demographic of any society? The wealthy want someone wealthy representing them, the poor want someone poor representing them etc,

I do however find there to be a problem inn the title of this article if in fact it is accurate that it was demanded. Australia is a democratic state, and as such there can be no demands of who can and who can't run for parliament, it is open to all Australian citizens. To demand a Muslim MP would result in the discrimination of other equal Australian citizens and to me this is where the problem stems from.

If the Islamic community is united in its pursuit of an Islamic MP in it's own respective regions, or where Islamic communities tend to migrate than it can be achieved by western means of liberal democracy.

Best of luck to them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

No, the title and Indian Princess's portrayal of the situation are completely offmark, the actual title is "Lobby group seeks election of Muslim MP". I'm going to change this thread's title to that now.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
No, the title and Indian Princess's portrayal of the situation are completely offmark, the actual title is "Lobby group seeks election of Muslim MP". I'm going to change this thread's title to that now.
Great why don't you bold all the "Israel sux" threads and censor anymore non-lefty threads while you're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)