LOOK HERE PLEASE!!! and CLICK on this :) (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
Thanks for reading this,

As you have already guessed the question is about BELONGING!

The qestion states " Whilst Belonging is important for individuals, it does involve both positive and negative consequences."

Could you please leave a comment on what you think this question is asking?
A mean when writing an essay what do I have to emphasize on, or talk about, how do I have to construct my essay!
Thanks for reading my post! Help will be really really appreciated. Even if you are not sure please leave a comment. Thanks

P.S my core text is Crucible

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Develop a thesis, talking about the ambivalent nature of belonging, and how perceptions of belonging vary from person to person

lychnobity

HSC
Do you agree, disagree, or agree somewhat to both sides of the question?

Write an essay from there.

Basic essay structure... intro, body, conclusion. Like any other essay.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
First, decide on how you view belonging for individuals, depending on how important or insignificant you perceive belonging to be. Is belonging important for individuals, like the question states? Or do you disagree and view belonging as insignificant? This will be your thesis.

You then have to textually support your thesis throughout your essay; establish why belonging is important and/or insignificant for individuals by using both positive and negative consequences of belonging through your argument.

Whichever perspective on belonging you adopt, you still have to discuss both negative and positive aspects of this belonging, continually referring back to your thesis (which should be in the last sentence(s) of your introduction).

Positive aspects of 'belonging' could include:

* A feeling of acceptance, which positively alter one's outlook on life.
* A sense of interconnection with nature/people/etc, which allows one to further understand themselves (e.g. a connection with nature may be established by the protagonist's aesthetic liking of autumn, which reminds the protagonist of the transiency of their own life).

Negative aspects of 'belonging' could include:

* Sacrificing personal ideals to 'fit-in' with the majority, which can lead to self-delusion and cognitive dissonance (e.g. someone may be a particular sect of Christianity to feel a sense of belonging within the Church, even though the Church's view on women/homosexuality is completely against their own inner morals and ethics).
* Superficiality can arise from certain kinds of belonging, especially in the materialism of modern culture, which can lead to a loss of a identity (e.g. someone may feel a sense of belonging to a particular popular culture icon - such as Marilyn Monroe - and view her as a role-model for their own life, yet this sense of belonging is ultimately shallow).
* Also, someone can belong to a niche or sub-culture group, yet due to belonging and being a part of this particular group, they are essentially alienated from the rest of society (e.g. gothic sub-culture).

I would structure it like this...

P1 - Introduction (thesis)
P2 - A positive consequence of belonging
P3 - A negative consequence of belonging
P4 - A positive consequence of belonging
P5 - A negative consequence of belonging
P6 - Conclusion

Last edited:

Meggie2010

HSC
I was just wondering, because I have a similar essay question or statement to this, Belonging causes as much pain as joy." What would I mention in the conclusion.. just sum the whole essay up in the conclusion?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What would I mention in the conclusion.. just sum the whole essay up in the conclusion?
Essentially, yes. What you want to do is explain in a few lines, what your entire essay has just proved.

Meggie2010

HSC
Okay, thanks. Just another quick question how do you think social groups with similar interests can be part of the issue of "Belonging causes as much pain as joy?"

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not every point you make has to agree with the statement. However, you could always bring up things like: social tension, lack of individuality, peer pressure, power structures etc.

Meggie2010

HSC
Yerh, I'm doing both negative and positive aspects of social identities such as family, friends and people who have similar interests. Thank you for the ideas, they're great suggestions to put in my essay. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)