Looking to buy a Laptop; Should I get a Mac OS or stick with a Windows OS? (1 Viewer)

5233andy

HSC
bawd said:
No. I'm gonna go get it direct from the Apple Store on George Street. Or should I just buy it from the online store?
You're better off getting it from a certified Apple reseller, such as Harvey Norman, Myer, etc. They often have offers and/or discounts. I bought my iMac with a mere 10% discount. It may not seem a lot, but discounts with Apple products are very rare.

Also, I know that Myer is offering free Office for Mac 2008 if you buy a Mac with Apple Protection. (iMacs: $2xx, MacBooksL $4xx)

bawd

HSC
The only online discount really is the free shipping with purchases over a certain amount, since I am not eligible for the Educational discount yet. Apple currently have this printer rebate which is only eligible for printers and Macs purchased direct from Apple and not a reseller, a reason I am purchasing direct from their store since I need a new printer.

5233andy

HSC
bawd said:
The only online discount really is the free shipping with purchases over a certain amount, since I am not eligible for the Educational discount yet. Apple currently have this printer rebate which is only eligible for printers and Macs purchased direct from Apple and not a reseller, a reason I am purchasing direct from their store since I need a new printer.
The printers that are offered at the Apple Store are HP ones. I've had a look at them, myself. In all honesty, they are somewhat dear, in contrast with department stores that stock them. But then again, you're essentially getting it for free, so I can't really complain about that.

Are you going to get Apple Protection?

Apple have their version of Microsoft Office for Mac, iWork. I've tried the trial version of it and it can't really compare to Office for Mac. Also, you do realise that Apple are preparing to release the new MacBooks, right?

5233andy

HSC
infl3xion said:
+1 Windows.....
No... you should try a Mac before you become anti-Mac. With my Windows PCs in the past, I've experienced problems a month into running the machine. With my iMac, I've only experienced some hiccups, mainly with Firefox with the spinning rainbow wheel frequenting the screen. Other than that, everything seems to be fine.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
5233andy said:
No... you should try a Mac before you become anti-Mac. With my Windows PCs in the past, I've experienced problems a month into running the machine. With my iMac, I've only experienced some hiccups, mainly with Firefox with the spinning rainbow wheel frequenting the screen. Other than that, everything seems to be fine.
if you are only goin to use the computer for educational purposes why not a sub notebook like the eeepc or the MSI wind.

bawd

HSC
5233andy said:
The printers that are offered at the Apple Store are HP ones. I've had a look at them, myself. In all honesty, they are somewhat dear, in contrast with department stores that stock them. But then again, you're essentially getting it for free, so I can't really complain about that.

Are you going to get Apple Protection?

Apple have their version of Microsoft Office for Mac, iWork. I've tried the trial version of it and it can't really compare to Office for Mac. Also, you do realise that Apple are preparing to release the new MacBooks, right?
Yeah I know. The date is 14th October, but keep in mind that these are rumors. BTW, do you know whether Apple do worldwide releases or does it get released in the US first, then other countries follow? I'm pretty sure the 'Let's Rock' convention was the worldwide launch of the Nano, so I'm hoping they release new MacBooks the same time in Australia. :)

5233andy

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
if you are only goin to use the computer for educational purposes why not a sub notebook like the eeepc or the MSI wind.
Though they are relatively cheap and very compact, you have to question its reliability and whether it's worth the money. If it turns out to be the same as using the school or university's computers, I wouldn't really bother with such a small computer.

senorita05

HSC
you should get windows
sure apple is famous but windows hve programmes that ur used to
it may be harder to use on a mac [n] macs run out of battery quite easily

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
senorita05 said:
you should get windows
What? Dude Vista on any laptop is an absolute battery hog. My Macbook gets about 5 hours of battery life per charge. Way more than any PC I've ever used.

bawd

HSC
senorita05 said:
you should get windows
Did you know that Windows actually runs more efficiently on a Mac? Some computer company (I'll find the link later) actually did a test running Windows on a MacBook Pro and some other high-end PC laptop. Guess what? The MacBook Pro came out on top. Weird, huh?

Garygaz

HSC
Windows xp on a macbook pro with 2 mouse buttons and a graphics card so i can play COD 4 kthx :)

5233andy

HSC
senorita05 said:
you should get windows
I'm not a computer maniac, but the only software that I had to purchase for use on my Mac is Office for Mac 2008. I don't think that Macs require antivirus protection and whatnot - something that could be deemed as a necessity for all Windows PC users. What I like about Macs is that they come with the full version of pre-loaded software. If you've purchased a manufactured Windows PC, you'd understand what I mean - you get the trial version of softwares which eventually ends up being removed from your system.

Garygaz

HSC
The reason there are no mac viruses is because whoever wants to make a virus and make it spread as much as possible picks the platform with the most users, i.e Windows. Mac would be in the same position if they had the same % of the market as Windows.

G

Gavvvvvin

Err what the software that comes with Macs is absolute garbage. But your probably the typical Mac faggot whose hipster indie band records all their shit songs with Garageband lol.

5233andy

HSC
If anyone's interested in getting a taste in the ease or 'difficulty' (depends on your interpretations, after all, they are relative to one another) in using a Mac, download Safari internet browser. Yes, it's available for Windows PCs as well as Macs.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/

5233andy

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Err what the software that comes with Macs is absolute garbage. But your probably the typical Mac faggot whose hipster indie band records all their shit songs with Garageband lol.
Err if that was targeted at me, I don't use GarageBand... Though, I do use iPhoto...
It's somewhat ignorant to consider an individual as a 'Mac faggot', obviously, you're trapped in the mindset that a one-buttoned mouse is worthy of being laughed at.

I don't use all of the software that my Mac came with, of which includes Mail, iCal and iWeb... Yet again, the software that it comes with is the 'full' version of the product and may be accessed at your own discretion.

G

Gavvvvvin

5233andy said:
obviously, you're trapped in the mindset that a one-buttoned mouse is worthy of being laughed at.
Just one of the many things I enjoy laughing at :lol:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Garygaz said:
The reason there are no mac viruses is because whoever wants to make a virus and make it spread as much as possible picks the platform with the most users, i.e Windows. Mac would be in the same position if they had the same % of the market as Windows.
Not necessarily. Apache has debunked 'security by obscurity'.

Safari for windows is shit because it makes no attempt to adhere to the conventions of the OS (e.g. being able to resize the window anywhere except the bottom right corner).

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Sure, some of the standard programs that come built in to the OS are utter crap, but other after-sale programs for Mac are great. Some litterally shit all over they're Microsoft counterparts. Vice-versa with other programs too. Don't call people who use Mac "Mac faggots", because that just shows your close-minded.

Curious. What Mac programs have you actually used?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)