• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lost (1 Viewer)

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Lost and Desperate Housewives are the first hit shows ABC has had in a while, so I doubt they care too much about Lost not being immediately profitable.
I'm sure there are more expensive to film shows out there that don't rate as well.

They can always make money in dvd sales, and with syndication in the future.

Filming it somewhere else would, I think, be bad for the show.

firehose

HSC
Yea there's absolutely no way they'll put the series in danger just because it may be making a loss... with the show gaining such high ratings and gaining such a avid following it'd be suicidal to cancel it.
if the show sustains its ratings in the US (which it is doing) then the ABC network can begin to charge higher and higher for its advertisement slots, and when more networks from foreign countries buy the show then Lost will be breaking even/profitable.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
midnight said:
They can always make money in dvd sales, and with syndication in the future.
Do you think they would make enough money back for them if they are making a loss each episode though:)?

firehose said:
if the show sustains its ratings in the US (which it is doing) then the ABC network can begin to charge higher and higher for its advertisement slots, and when more networks from foreign countries buy the show then Lost will be breaking even/profitable.
Well I believe that the show has sustained its high ratings for the fourteen episodes that have been aired so far, so I see no reason why ABC would not already be charging higher prices for advertisements during Lost's time-slot. Point taken about foreign networks buying the rights to air the show:).

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
joe_m_2000 said:
how many episodes of lost r there in the series?
23 eps this season. Originally ordered for 22, but they got an order for an extra episode. Possibly for a 2 part season finale??

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Krangelus said:
23 eps this season. Originally ordered for 22, but they got an order for an extra episode. Possibly for a 2 part season finale??
yeap probably!
sounds good!

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Merethrond said:
Do you think they would make enough money back for them if they are making a loss each episode though:)?
Of course not. That isn't the point though.
Not being American or in TV I don't completely understand how it works, but it's better to make up part of what you've lost than to just give up. Lost is quite unique in that it's a movie-style tv series. Other shows don't cost as much to make, but they can still be costly - look at how much the cast of Friends used to get paid. Lost is only going to continue to become more expensive as it progresses, unless they start doing clip shows, because of the large scale they're working on.

I'm all for a double finale, only it's going to be annoying spread across two weeks.

firehose

HSC
If there's a 2-part finale then get ready for something that will blow u off ur feet :uhhuh:

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
firehose said:
If there's a 2-part finale then get ready for something that will blow u off ur feet :uhhuh:
i lay on the lounge when i watch tv. coz im too lazy to sit up. sometimes i drape myself over the armchair.
so i dont think i would be able to get "blown off my feet"

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
midnight said:
Of course not. That isn't the point though.
Not being American or in TV I don't completely understand how it works, but it's better to make up part of what you've lost than to just give up. Lost is quite unique in that it's a movie-style tv series. Other shows don't cost as much to make, but they can still be costly - look at how much the cast of Friends used to get paid. Lost is only going to continue to become more expensive as it progresses, unless they start doing clip shows, because of the large scale they're working on.
Well I don't see the logic but I will just stop now:). I don't know why you say that the episodes will continue to get even more expensive though:)?

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Well as a general trend once actors realise that they're on a good show and it's popular, they want more money to stay there.
Although the Lost cast doesn't seem to be like that now, it could happen in the future. If there is enough demand for them they might be tempted to leave the show.

Other than that I can see that the budget won't vary that much, based on the pattern so far. More complexity seems to require more money though.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
midnight said:
Well as a general trend once actors realise that they're on a good show and it's popular, they want more money to stay there.
Although the Lost cast doesn't seem to be like that now, it could happen in the future. If there is enough demand for them they might be tempted to leave the show.
Good point:).

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
midnight said:

Other than that I can see that the budget won't vary that much, based on the pattern so far. More complexity seems to require more money though.
the DH cast demanded a payrise as they were only getting $80K per ep vs teh friends cast who got +$1 mill and if they broke a ratings record they would get bonuses ie firends cast each got a porche. Nicolette Sheridan (eadie) jokingly says 'im still waiting on mine'

waterfowl

HSC
I hate how actors/actresses get like that...what about the writers, directors, camera crew, lighting crew, editors etc etc etc? You can't tell I'm in production can you? :p

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
waterfowl said:
I hate how actors/actresses get like that...what about the writers, directors, camera crew, lighting crew, editors etc etc etc? You can't tell I'm in production can you? :p
lol no no nt at all :rolleyes:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
What about that the girl is the criminal:eek:. I didn't see that coming. I wonder if the Polar Bear is the offspring of the invisible beast? I don't think it really matters who was stranded on the island for sixteen years and five months either, just that they were and no-one rescued them and the beast killed them all. I doubt that sixteen years and five months is significant either. It was probably just a random number. I don't remember the girl who speaks French saying anything about "it":).

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i missed most of it so i'm not reading the newer comments as i just got back from work within 10 minutes of it starting and i was flicking to SUV at the same time. i dun like that korean guy, i wonder if the korean couple? really only speak korean or are just pretending. i'm going to watch the encore on saturday. oh and the blonde is annoying.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Argonaut said:
Oh, please. It was obvious Kate was the prisoner, especially the way she emerged from the wreck rubbing her wrists as if she'd just taken a pair of handcuffs off.
Damn! I have got to watch more closely. My family makes too much noise and creates distractions:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)