Luxury Car Tax rejected! (1 Viewer)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
God! I am so happy about the tax being pushed back!!

And I'm so glad that Rudd now has a huge hole in his so called budget...having Swan run the country's finances is just plain stupid...

I'm sure some of us and also some of our parents are happy that they don't have to pay more for cars...when it's already our hard earned money already.

Rudd...the "do nothing but inquiries government!"

SipSip

HSC
N/A
fuck! just read an article that they are going to re-introduce it and the dealers can keep collecting it...

i bet they won't get the dealers to pay back the extra + interest if it doesn't go through again...

Kevin Rudd and Swan has one of the most fucked up economic policies you can think of...

How is this different from communism if they are only making things all equal for the working class...just don't work and stay on the dole...the government will look after you, which produces an anti-competitive market...prohibiting natural economic growth...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Luxury car tax is such a load of shit.
HEY RUDD YOU CUNT. 45C ON THE DOLLAR IS A FUCKLOAD ALREADY, IF PEOPLE WANT TO BY PORSCHES WHY THE FUCK SHOULDN'T THEY?!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
SipSip said:
fuck! just read an article that they are going to re-introduce it and the dealers can keep collecting it...

i bet they won't get the dealers to pay back the extra + interest if it doesn't go through again...

Kevin Rudd and Swan has one of the most fucked up economic policies you can think of...

How is this different from communism if they are only making things all equal for the working class...just don't work and stay on the dole...the government will look after you, which produces an anti-competitive market...prohibiting natural economic growth...
lol

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
That's right people, a tax on cars above $57 000 is communism according to BOS poster "SipSip".

His ASIAN parents won't be driving around a new gold Mercedes around Chatswood now, rather an old Mercedes at the previous 25 per cent tax rate because the 33 per cent is just completely unaffordable for struggling battlers.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I wonder what Marx would say if he were alive today.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It's a bullshit name anyway... It's not a 'luxury car tax' it's a 'car over $50,000 tax'.
"OH SO U WANT TO GIVE A TAX CUT TO PEOPLE BUYING FERRARI'S????" not necessarily... set the tax increase at $180,000 or so if you want to tax people that are buying the real luxury cars. While we're at it let's have an 'expensive suit tax'. No one needs a super 120 wool suit, they should have to pay maximum tax.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Enteebee said:
It's a bullshit name anyway... It's not a 'luxury car tax' it's a 'car over $50,000 tax'.
"OH SO U WANT TO GIVE A TAX CUT TO PEOPLE BUYING FERRARI'S????" not necessarily... set the tax increase at $180,000 or so if you want to tax people that are buying the real luxury cars. While we're at it let's have an 'expensive suit tax'. No one needs a super 120 wool suit, they should have to pay maximum tax.
AHAHAHAH, that's exactly what I said to my dad. We ended up reaching a consensus on either "raise the threshold to $75,000" or tax new cars on a consumption/emissions basis.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
The latter seems like a smart tax, the former seems arbitrary.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
That's right people, a tax on cars above $57 000 is communism according to BOS poster "SipSip".

His ASIAN parents won't be driving around a new gold Mercedes around Chatswood now, rather an old Mercedes at the previous 25 per cent tax rate because the 33 per cent is just completely unaffordable for struggling battlers.

Actually...Asian yes...but being from HK it's not really communism...and even if it is, there are actually many communist countries who has economic policies that are much more sound in terms of promoting growth.

anyway...I take it you haven't read "Age of Turbulence" by Greenspan, he rises a good point in that when rising product taxes, you are in fact causing an anti-competitive market which burdens economic growth.

Besides...57k is not really a luxury car is it...if Rudd can go on TV and state that, we want to prevent a tax break for the people buying porsches...then don't tax the people who are just looking for a car under 200k...

Be it that the Rudd government came at a time of Global economic downturn, the policies and "inquiries" that they are running is not helping. And the recent rate cut is nothing for them to take credit for; since that cutting rates is just an indication that the economy is in a bad state.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Enteebee said:
The latter seems like a smart tax, the former seems arbitrary.
I don't think the luxury car tax has been increase since it was initially introduced? It should be subject to inflation like anything else.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
huh? 25% of an inflated amount such as income would already include inflation...

say if inflation was 3%

1.03 times 25% times car price times 1.03 (because of inflation adjustments already)...would mean you're paying more than inflation...

F2001

HSC
57k doesnt get u jack these days anyway.

They are hurting their beloved Holden & Ford or whatever local produced cars over 57k too.
So why not just raise import duties and tarriffs??

Swan's comment was funny, he claimed the libs essentially granted a tax cut for the rich (LC purchasers).

33% knocked back, the next step is less. The Car market must be freed up. Look at America.

BMW E92 M3, MB C63 AMG, Audi RS4 are all around 57-65K USD. We are paying more than double close to triple that for the same stuff basically.
ANd then look at the Ford and Chev domestics and their growth, they were FORCED to better their cars. Still not doing great financially but their cars are so much better and improved than ages ago.

Australia, backwards again.

quik.

HSC
I don't understand how they can legally charge the tax before it has been passed, especially now that it's been knocked back. I'd laugh right out of the dealer (this is of course assuming I had more than a nesquik tin to my name).

T Riet: I read someone else's comments about this who said that they thought about taxing by emissions/petrol guzzlers but it was 'too hard to administrate'. Havn't read anything officialz on it though.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
SipSip said:
Actually...Asian yes...but being from HK it's not really communism...and even if it is, there are actually many communist countries who has economic policies that are much more sound in terms of promoting growth.

anyway...I take it you haven't read "Age of Turbulence" by Greenspan, he rises a good point in that when rising product taxes, you are in fact causing an anti-competitive market which burdens economic growth.

Besides...57k is not really a luxury car is it...if Rudd can go on TV and state that, we want to prevent a tax break for the people buying porsches...then don't tax the people who are just looking for a car under 200k...

Be it that the Rudd government came at a time of Global economic downturn, the policies and "inquiries" that they are running is not helping. And the recent rate cut is nothing for them to take credit for; since that cutting rates is just an indication that the economy is in a bad state.
Shuttup. Who cares? Who needs a car that's worth over $50,000 anyway. Ponce.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Who needs any luxury? Unless you're going to tie it into emissions I don't see why you would double-tax someone for their car... You've already taxed them for earning so much more money, you're now arbitrarily punishing them just for their choice of luxury good that they're going to spend their extra money on.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I don't care. I have no sympathy. It's an expensive and frivolous item.

Anyway the aristocrat Mercedes drivers could simply consider the tax as adding to the prestige of owning such a hideously expensive car. :D

EDIT: Not only emissions but weening off high oil consumption too, comrade.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
farmers?

probably a whole lot of other occupations if u think about it...

EDIT: and large families

as if having 7 kids didn't cost enough, now u have to pay even moar to be able to drive them around

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Farmers are exempt.

"is a commercial vehicle not designed for the principal purpose of carrying passengers."

And anyone who has 7 children is a douchebag, and is overpopulating our beloved country at the same time as polluting it!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)