Luxury Car Tax rejected! (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Not until 5 minutes ago, no.

I don't do economics, but it seems fairly common sense.
the laffer curve is retarded

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
SipSip said:
By your signature...I am very glad you are doing something like B.science and B.arts...at least you won't have that much effect on the economy...and if god have eyes...the luxury car tax will definitely not effect your family for at least your life.

You do realise that Rudd is pushing this tax through so hard because without it, there is suddenly a half a billion dollar hole in his budget...which isn't really that terrible since that I'm sure there is money reserved from all the budget surpluses left by the Liberal gov't.

It's pretty absurd how well the welfare payments are in Aust, considering that if you really don't want to work, you get almost 200 bucks a week...pretty decent if you're still living at home...how is that encouraging young people to work...there are obviously people who deserves and needs those payments, but I'm sure there are people who are reaping in the benefits when they don't need it.

As for Taxing more to invest in other things...Rudd stated that the road infrastructure can be improved...face it...if it hasn't improved in the last 20 years...what is Rudd gonna do in his 3 years of gov't to change that...barring the fact that the "inquiries" will prob take up half of his appointment.

And as for Rudd fighting for the working family, what does he know, if he goes broke, I'm sure his millionaire wife will support his living...
lol

combining HSC economics knowledge with a twist of Liberal absurdity sprinkled with asian grammar = your posting skillz

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I'd be more worried if you were somehow involved with the running of the economy.
Do not worry bout SipSip bro: He blames da govment for da interest rates dats holding bak our economy mang. Bloody Wayne Swan couldna run a running race wif preschoolers bro. Der are welfare bludgers everywhere mang! I can see dem from my mansion on da North Shore! Millions of dem!

Enteebee said:
I also agree with taxation on the same grounds. I think the country is overall more prosperous and free if we tax the rich and give to the poor. However, this particular tax is an easy tax grab to increase government revenue (while demonising one particular spending habit) that comes off as extremely arbitrary and unfair.

If you accept that people should be allowed to get rich, have discretionary money and spend it on whatever luxury good takes their fancy (within SOME limits obviously) then I don't see how you can support this tax. What is particularly wrong with wanting to spend your extra money on a better car instead of a yacht or big screen tvs?

The only reason I can think to actually add a new tax on cars in particular would be for their emissions... but it's not really the luxury new cars that are the greatest emitters.
I'm not sure if this tax is that much more arbitrary than normal income taxes. I'm going to assume that those who buy luxury cars are those who can afford them, and hence are making the most money. Isn't this tax simply going about collecting it in a different environment?

But you're right, targeting cars over other luxury items is a little unfair. I'm not too sure what the solution would be there. I'm not opposed to collecting taxes off luxury items in general, but if the government did that on a widespread scale then perhaps that would discourage spending? Maybe income tax collection is just a better option. Iuno.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I'm not too sure what the solution would be there
There's no need to worry ourselves about such a solution because what should really be done is a tax on emissions. It makes sense to try and get people to buy lower emitting cars, not to encourage people to try and buy cheaper cars.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Cheaper (newer) cars are generally smaller and lower emitters though, aren't they?

If luxury cars were mostly hybrids, electrics or whatever then I'd be totally opposed to any tax on them, btw.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Cheaper (newer) cars are generally smaller and lower emitters though, aren't they?

If luxury cars were mostly hybrids, electrics or whatever then I'd be totally opposed to any tax on them, btw.
Not necessarily, cheap small cars can often have inefficient motors compared with a more expensive medium sized car making them greater emitters - especially when you consider the longevity of some of the cars. The point would be though that it would no longer be a tax that is about punishing the desire for one particular luxury good, but it would be about getting revenue while moving Australia towards a goal that many of us agree would be worthwhile (i.e. lower emitting vehicles).

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Not necessarily, cheap small cars can often have inefficient motors compared with a more expensive medium sized car making them greater emitters - especially when you consider the longevity of some of the cars. The point would be though that it would no longer be a tax that is about punishing the desire for one particular luxury good, but it would be about getting revenue while moving Australia towards a goal that many of us agree would be worthwhile (i.e. lower emitting vehicles).
What's a medium sized car with a high efficiency?

SipSip

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
lol

combining HSC economics knowledge with a twist of Liberal absurdity sprinkled with asian grammar = your posting skillz
haha...poor grammar yes...

HSC economics knowledge...in case you don't know...i'm currently working as a trader...i'm also in charged of a project with sponsoring youth programs, which is why i have kept this posting thing up.. (plus...it's pretty fun) ...anyway...i'm pretty certain i have more economic knowledge than a B.Science person...

If Liberals are really that bad...let's blame them for the growth that OZ has managed in the past decade...

Nebuchanezzar...learn some stuff before you open that poor second class mouth of yours...the RBA controls the interest rate, I'm stating that the gov't is hindering growth by increasing taxes on goods...if you think about it...investments are certainly more efficient and effective when done privately...with government intervention, the investments are normally made for the public good...which yields very little economic growth or return...

Now definitely not saying that taxing and re-distribution of income should not exist, since that there are people who obviously needs it, otherwise, Nebuchanezzar's current family and future family might starve to death...but there comes a tipping point where the hard-working earners are taxed too much where they become less productive...

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Camry's cost ~$30 k (after a quick google search), I was thinking more about cars over the $58 000 tax threshold.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
SipSip said:
HSC economics knowledge...in case you don't know...i'm currently working as a trader...i'm also in charged of a project with sponsoring youth programs, which is why i have kept this posting thing up.. (plus...it's pretty fun) ...anyway...i'm pretty certain i have more economic knowledge than a B.Science person....
yes well by "trading" you could be trading "goods" for money or trading your "labour" for money.

lol you also just admitted economics is not a science (it fits into the realm of bullshit pseudo-science just fyi)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Camry's cost ~$30 k (after a quick google search), I was thinking more about cars over the $58 000 tax threshold.
BMW 5 series?? Audi A6....they have pretty efficient engines for their size...pretty sure they are over 58k too...

have to note here though...that i place my car's order before the tax came into effect (i.e. before dealers could charge it up front)...just still think it's not the best thought out tax...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ellipses shouldn't be used that often. Please use your HSC Economics skills to make your posts more readable, so we can get to the juicy content within. :)

Enteebee said:
What about the Corolla as an example?

SipSip

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
yes well by "trading" you could be trading "goods" for money or trading your "labour" for money.

lol you also just admitted economics is not a science (it fits into the realm of bullshit pseudo-science just fyi)
Trading foreign exchange and also derivatives products...where bank gives a certain limit for traders to purchase low and sell higher to make money...

I guess labour is also involved....since that I get paid both salary and on how much i make...

i know economics is not a science...it can be studied though...and I doubt science will be as developed as it is today without the "bullshit" that you refer to as the economy...

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Ellipses shouldn't be used that often. Please use your HSC Economics skills to make your posts more readable, so we can get to the juicy content within. :)

What about the Corolla as an example?
Why honestly will I be in HSC still...if I finished my HSC in 2003...
If you're gonna take a personal attack at least research a bit =)

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Also, this talk about specific cars and their prices and fuel efficiency is painful.

If you want to tax high emission vehicles, tax them based on emissions not price. Or better still, just increase the excise on fuels. Not saying we should or we shouldn't but its irrelevant. The tax is arbitrary and not the most effective way of achieving any of its purported benefits.
Pretty much. 1 litre of petrol burnt in a a car < $58k is still going to equal the same amount of carbon dioxide burnt in a car > $58k.

and I doubt science will be as developed as it is today without the "bullshit" that you refer to as the economy...
lol

learn2read

i didn't say "the economy" was bullshit. i said economics was a bullshit psuediscuence. just fyi if we forgot everything about economics except the wealth of nations by smith, i think we'd be in a better place now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)