Macquarie University Student Election to the University Council (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Is it just me who didn't get a voting paper?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Haha, its the Ma Monster trying to stop you voting! ;)

I got a voting paper.. as in the little blue thing? I can't believe there are only two candidates.

Please everyone vote, because its only Nick against the Ma, and so we can actually make a difference (if the whole thing isn't already rigged).

Is it just me, or does Victor look like a playstation character? All square-eyed and square-headed.

Asy, call up the VC's office and get them to send you another voting paper?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah I might, though I've fired an email to Victor asking him to explain his claims already, so this should be good.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Haha, beautiful, Mike!!

I like how he said he was "involved" (or some similar word that implied even less participation) in keeping the HECS fees stable.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi there Victor,

As a concerned Macquarie University Student, I had a few questions regarding your claims and plans for the University as part of being elected to the University Council.

1) You say you will continue to support the University in creating scholarships, but what does this phrase mean exactly? Will you promise us or guarantee the formation of new scholarships? How will you plan to do this? Can you give us explicit details as to how you have formally 'supported' the University and your contributions to past scholarships being set up?

2) "Create more parking spaces". As a frustrated student who thinks its ludicruous to pay for a parking permit and not find parking, I was also thrilled to hear of your news that you will create more. Could you enlighten me on the exact details of how this would be achieved, namely location and how you would fund such a thing or get it approved ?

3) "Lobby the Co-op Bookshop to reduce prices of books and unit readers". Again another hit we students take is through textbooks, so I was interested how you would negotiate such a reduction in price?

4) Lastly, "Participated successfully in stopping HECS fees increase". Now this comment was quite the shock to me as I saw my HECS increase for this year, could you explain how you stopped it, and why if it HAD been stopped, was it increased?

I'm sure you'll find the time to answer these pressing issues as one concerned university student to another,

Respectfully,

Michael
Haha yeah it just rubbed me the wrong way

(was meant to paste/post this earlier, but fell asleep haha)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Genius, Mike.

Just to clarify, this was my stance on his statement as I read it:

Victor Ma:

1. Scholarships. As far as I'm aware, Macquarie as a university does not offer any scholarsihps based on financial difficulties. Individual departments/divisions/centres/scholarship funds etc may, but the university (and hence Victor) has never created a tertiary-wide scholarship for hard-done-by students.

Equity scholarships are arranged by the federal government and have nothing to do with Victor or the university. Students apply directly to the DEST, not through the uni.

To the best of my knowledge, the three main groups of scholarships inside the university are sporting scholarships, academic scholarships awarded by the university (namely innovation and super innovation), and scholarships awarded by the department. Usually, departmental/etc scholarships, which are funded by a benefactor, whether it's one person or a group, take into account only academic merit.

2. More parking spaces. This is simple pig-trough politics. He is appealing for what he sees as easy votes, when a) he cannot provide the service, and b) he will not provide the service. Every year, I believe he says the same thing. No more carparks than any other year!

That being said, carspots should NOT be a political platform. To all you whingers out there: Get at uni earlier or later. Do not pretend that millions of dollars on new parks would be better than millions of dollars funding scholarships, building new rooms, fitting out the library, constructing new foodcourt areas, etc.

3. Lobby Co-Op. Nice try. (As above), except I think that lower prices would be nice. However, it's not going to happen. I don't even think he gives a shit about Co-op prices. I highly doubt that he could do anything, considering the Co-op grips all our balls with an iron fist.

4. Refurbish SAM Courtyard. Well we all know that the courtyard is owned by SAM. This is a statement for the University Council, not SAM. Quite illogical.

Then again, he does sign the paper with 'SAM President'.

5. HECS increase. Am I missing something, or did that big fat increase which hit me on the head not happen?

Nick Mueller:

Well Nick has a quality, German name. He's hot, he bicycles around uni, and he's one of the nicest, most sincere chaps I've met.

He has one platform, and it's a realistic platform with him actually going for the council: Environmental issues.

He has several points.

1. Accountability,
2. apathy with students,
3. simple initiatives,
4. actually saving money.

He doesn't seem ridiculously Green, like that loser Tim Hendry, but rather pragmatic and moderate.

I'd rather have one thing addressed than all these empty promises. Rather than hoping Victor will do all this shit for us, let's vote in Nick and and see what we can do with him.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
See I have no idea what you guys are on about. Is it because I'm part time I don't get the right to vote?

ALLLICE

HSC
I'm full time and i haven't heard of this voting thingy :confused:

ALLLICE

HSC
I see....

So should I be anticipating some kind of brainwashing business from this Victor Ma u speak of?

iwannarock

HSC
so its either victor ma

or some guy with a last name of mueller.

i dont know who to trust.

and victor ma's photo looks photoshopped.

like they airbrushed his whole face.

ALLLICE

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I've never seen a Ma campaign :/ I think he just tries to get votes off exchange students and asians.
Ahh that would've been my next question...so exchange students can vote..hrmm

Well it's good to know i won't wake up with a tattoo across my forehead that says "VOTE MA!"....or i won't suddenly wake out of a kind of trance and find myself handing out pro Ma leaflets or something

*phew*

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Anyone is better then the MA!!
and our uni being full of international students, you know what kinda direction they will go =/

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
maybe i should infiltrate the ranks of the ma army and spread anti-ma propaganda right under his nose

OR someone should like WHACK him,

that comment about the HECS fees was a big WTF.

I'll rephrase what he is trying to say:

"GET IN MY BELLY!!"

or

"Hi I'm Victor. I am going to do this. OH DEAR LORD, sorry I cannot do it. Vote me in so I can repeat this process. Thanksla!"

Sign me up for politics =/

X

xeuyrawp

Good_riceZ said:
Sign me up for politics =/
Asians are so bad at politics. Seriously, it's like watching them trying to reverse park.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Asians are so bad at politics. Seriously, it's like watching them trying to reverse park.
You're not really an asian politician until you've hit someone with your shoe.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
literally what happened
i see a letter from mac, decide i better open it right away before i leave the house (unlike my other letters) even though i'm in a hurry
i see they are voting forms, i don't unfold them, i cry "i'm not voting!" and make my way to the bin, at which time i pass someone else who says they will take them off me because they are going past the bin
i walk away to get changed, remembering bos, that there will be a thread on this, and that i want to read their blurbs so i know what the discussion is about. i run after the person with my papers shouting "don't throw them out!"
i snatch them away, leave them in a pile next to the computer and run and get changed.

not all that important, but i thought maybe you'd all want to know that you if it wasn't for you guys, my papers would have been at the bottom of our otto bin for 6 hours by now :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)