Main round offers (1 Viewer)

spence

HSC
counterman said:
I agree with you there that i should accept my first offer because if i reject it, i won't get that offer again should i want it later .

The situation is, i'm sure i can get into both my first and second preferences. Without being conceited, if i put either of them as my first, i would get an offer. Though, they are for the same course but at different unis. However, after going to the open days yesterday, i was left pretty stumped - i liked both as much as the other .

So, with the chance of changing my mind later on, would you say there's a possibily that i might be offered a place in the course, should i change my 2nd preference to my first, in the late rounds ? i mean, i think i would have been a more than likely candidate for an offer in the main rounds, wouldn't i be considered first during the late rounds ?
There's always a possibility of getting an offer in the late round, but its not something you should count on, as there are usually a limited number of places available at best. But if you are unsure, then it is definately worth changing your prefs after you get your offer. This way, if you do get a late round offer, you will have longer to choose between the two courses

counterman

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
counterman, what's your UAI, because when they hand out late/final offers, isnt it also based on your UAI?
My uai is around 99 - give or take. Though, it isn't as competitive as yours, it should be of probably consideration compared to the cut-off of last year being significantly lower .

babikakez said:
Late round offers can only be made if there are vacancies left in the course - ie, people reject the offers or if the course was never filled.
So, i can accept an offer for my 1st preference, change my 2nd preference to 1st and, if there are still vacancies, be offered a place for my originally 2nd preference ?

The thing is, and i'll take Pwnage101's example, if there is a high demand for, say, commerce at UNSW, then what are the chances of getting a late round offer for that ? i mean, wouldn't the places be filled quickly in the main rounds ?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
spence said:
There's always a possibility of getting an offer in the late round, but its not something you should count on, as there are usually a limited number of places available at best. But if you are unsure, then it is definately worth changing your prefs after you get your offer. This way, if you do get a late round offer, you will have longer to choose between the two courses
that's what i intend to do

Last edited:

counterman

HSC
Same, if there are late round offers i reckon i would be able to pull in . And, it would mean so much to us if we had that extra few weeks to carefully consider ours options in the case, which i think would be likely, that we change our mind .

counterman

HSC
Yep, so may someone please clarify our thoughts and shed some light on the matter ? We have just under 10 hours to make a decision but having that back up would certainly ease my mind on the matter during the next few weeks .

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
yeh i understand that, but i just want to know my chances of getting a late round offer into B Commerce @ UNSW? because if they give out more than 20 late round offers into that course, i rekon my UAI will pull me in

i just ask incase i change my mind [so it in effect gives me an extra 2-3 weeks to think about it]
Oh okay, I get what you're saying now.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
counterman said:
Yep, so may someone please clarify our thoughts and shed some light on the matter ? We have just under 10 hours to make a decision but having that back up would certainly ease my mind on the matter during the next few weeks .
yeh, so we know that late round offers are made, but just want to know the probability that we'd get one or the stats as to how many are given (we're not talking law/medicine/etc)??

cheers

aus_peter2005

HSC
Hey Pwnage101 my situation last year is the exact opposite of yours. I got UNSW Commerce as main round offer, but decided that it would take too long to get there, so I changed my 1st preference to MQ Actuarial and got it too. If you look at last year's late round, the late round cut-off for UNSW Commerce is 98.50, so I would say that you should definitely get it if you change your mind.

counterman

HSC
aus_peter2005 said:
Hey Pwnage101 my situation last year is the exact opposite of yours. I got UNSW Commerce as main round offer, but decided that it would take too long to get there, so I changed my 1st preference to MQ Actuarial and got it too. If you look at last year's late round, the late round cut-off for UNSW Commerce is 98.50, so I would say that you should definitely get it if you change your mind.
Where did you get that figure from ?

That's looking good for you Pwnage101.

aus_peter2005

HSC
I think what I did is just change my 1st preference to the one I wanted after the main round offer. You can look up the dates at here Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) Important dates So I think this year the procedure should be about the same, but again check the website cos it has all the information you need.
And also, cos I was a bit worried that I might not get into MQ Actuarial last year, so what i did was I put down all the degrees that has actuarial studies with it (like actuarial studies with applied finance, accounting, science etc). So if I were you I would put down all the UNSW degrees with commerce, like Commerce (international), commerce/engineering, commerce (liberal studies), etc.

ye Pwnage101 I think with your uai of 99.90 the probability of offer would be almost 1, cos I doubt they're gonna to reject you given your uai.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

counterman

HSC
Did you accept the UNSW commerce offer first after the main rounds ? Then change your first preference to MQ Actuary and after receiving the offer for that in the late round, you rejected your UNSW commerce offer ?

Wait, how long do they give you to accept an offer or reject if for the late rounds ?

I'm planning on doing engineering/commerce and i'm not sure whether i should do it at USYD or UNSW. What do you recommend as to what i put down as my preferences ?

Yep, Pwnage101 - i'm happy for you since it's a relief knowing that you have that option should things change in the next few weeks. I hate it when there is nothing you can do about it, but you can i guess. So, awesome.

aus_peter2005

HSC
I don't really remember whether I accepted the main round offer or not, but I think I did. I would recommend that you accept your main round offer first cos if you change your mind and get a late round offer you can always withdraw your main round offer.
As for how long they give you to accept your late round offer, i think it's in the instructions provided to you when you get the offer. check the uac website though.

Since I haven't done any course in USYD or UNSW so I probably would not give you any recommendation. However, when I was in year 12, my plan was actually to do commerce (actuarial studies)/engineering(electrical) at UNSW, and from what I read on BOS, it seems that UNSW is better at engineering. As for commerce, I would say it's pretty much the same except that only UNSW offers actuarial studies. So if you want to do actuarial studies/engineering, go to UNSW. Otherwise I would say it's the same.

I actually felt the same as you counterman last year cos i was quite nervous that my uai (98.85) would not be enough to get into MQ in the late round. But I'd say that you should not worry too much cos you can always transfer later.

counterman

HSC
Thanks for sharing your experience . I guess i'll just stick with what i have now and wait and see how i feel a week or two from then.

So, i will accept my first offer but change my 2nd preference to 1st if i have a change of heart .

With transferring, it just seems too much of a hassle but if i have to then, of course, i will.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
counterman said:
Did you accept the UNSW commerce offer first after the main rounds ? Then change your first preference to MQ Actuary and after receiving the offer for that in the late round, you rejected your UNSW commerce offer ?

Wait, how long do they give you to accept an offer or reject if for the late rounds ?

I'm planning on doing engineering/commerce and i'm not sure whether i should do it at USYD or UNSW. What do you recommend as to what i put down as my preferences ?

Yep, Pwnage101 - i'm happy for you since it's a relief knowing that you have that option should things change in the next few weeks. I hate it when there is nothing you can do about it, but you can i guess. So, awesome.
cheers mate,

i hope you'll be in the same position as well

proringz

HSC
counterman said:
It says on UAC website that it closes at midnight on 7th January. Now wouldn't that have been 14 hours before your post?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)