Major Work Woes.. (1 Viewer)

conch575

HSC
I still haven't settled on an idea for my major work.. I have no idea why I chose Visual Arts as a subject, I'm not exactly an "arty" person.

How did you guys draw your inspiration?

philphie

Banned
HSC
i find that most people in your situation often ask their teachers to basically do their VA mw for them

conch575

HSC
Seriously? I ask my teacher, but she's always got weird things to say.. E.g. "Add in more black, put some text in it"

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I just thought of my concept today, ,,,,..... don't stress.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Actually no, that's possibly the worst advice I could have given.
DO stress.

I just sat own today and thought hey, fuck this, I need to just solidify my idea because having it on the backburner of my mind all the time is very unsettling + anxiety inducing.

So I did.

Could I have thought of a better alternative? Yes.
There are countless ideas I could have done.

But I just needed to pick one and get on with it.

You should do the same. Go go go! Holidays are drawing to a close, we still have two weeks though, you can finalise an idea by then!!

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Stress in the beginning rather than at the end. The earlier you begin work on your BOW the better. That way, if you plan your time well throughout the year, you won't have to stress towards the end.

Base your body of work around something that you are passionate about.
This is about all the advice I can provide. You really need to want to work on your major artworks so if you pick a concept which doesn't really mean anything to you or you don't really care about then you will find that you are less motivated to work on your body of work and you'll get bored halfway through the year.

vanitysnare

HSC
Yes Cinnamonster is right find something your a) passionate about and then you can b) start refining your technique. But as long as your enthusiastic enough about the idea no matter if you have to make minor changes here and there, you don't want to completely have to start again half way through do not do that if you don't do anything else.

I found my idea but I was stuck for a while this holidays. If I hadn't have gotten the idea I would have just drawn celebrities I admire simply because it would hold my interest.

vanitysnare

HSC
Oh and you don't necessarily have to do celebrities if you artistically express any of your passions, say a series of famous Historic couples if you love History (Hitler and Eva Brauen, Antony and Cleopatra etc etc) or if you're a Mathematical person, explore geometric shapes by considering patterns and your work may be an interactive piece or 3d.

nikilily

HSC
I still haven't settled on an idea for my major work.. I have no idea why I chose Visual Arts as a subject, I'm not exactly an "arty" person.

I'm in a similar situation to you, I have a concept just trying to work out ways to convey my concept and what art techniques and methods to use etc. I always knew what concept and idea I wanted to do since year 11 art. My art teacher has told us its good to choose something that relates to our own personal context. So in my case I have a brother who has autism so I have chosen to create a body of work based around how he sees the world. My art teacher has given me the thumbs up so I suggest like others have, to choose something derived from your personal context, don't choose something you aren't that passionate about because you're lack of knowledge and passion will come out in your end product.

I have also been told from successful art students that ideas and concepts shouldn't be too complex. Don't worry about choosing a simple idea because as time goes on you will develop and create to your initial idea. As for your actual bow, don't do something too safe. Many people in my art class are doing paintings because that is what they are comfortable with. You have time to experiment with different mediums, don't go with what everyone else is doing because the markers get sick of seeing the same thing used. Goodluck!

katykiddx

HSC
Dont worry, i have pretty much limited ideas. I know i want to do photography, but, i dont know what of. I was thinking doing a series of storm photographs called " the storm before the calm" mainly cause i was bored one night. But everytime i go to talk to my teacher he yells at me, so i avoid it :) It kinda sucks when you have a teacher who favourites certain people and ignores the rest...
So, we are in the same boat :)

koktoong

HSC
My major art work is about technology vs nature.... can anyone give me more ideas about it ....

Schoey93

HSC

Hence why I don't do Visual Arts. Cool excursion to a museum, yet crappy design brief that could be interpreted in many different ways (that's my version of 'crap' anyway). My Year 8 teacher drummed 'art is about pushing boundaries' and 'your work is crap' into me repeatedly from 2006-2007. Haven't recovered since. Still hate making art. Think she will come and critique it and say her class one-liner directed at me on an occasion: 'it looks like a five year old's drawing of the Sun. How old are you?' -M. D.

Anyway, you'll come up with something. There's the impact of technology, human suffering, ignorance far from bliss (that was a lovely artwork a Year 11/12 student did a few years back at MCK- Marian Coll.), the ocean and marine life and their patterns of behaviour, an exploration of patterns in nature, an exploration of your own childhood or the life of a child.

The possibilities are endless. Enjoy, while I sit here enjoying Mathematics (2 Unit). It does more for my synapses than art ever did. But if you like it, you'll find a way to do well. Good luck!

awaitingtrain

HSC
The possibilities are endless. Enjoy, while I sit here enjoying Mathematics (2 Unit). It does more for my synapses than art ever did. But if you like it, you'll find a way to do well. Good luck!
That's an individual oddity. For me it fires more synapses than maths, just not the ones I'm used to. Controlling hand eye co-ordination and thought to page processes to create a unique and subtle concept in an artwork is a lot harder for me than any maths question. I want to "push my boundaries" in ways that maths can't.

ech

HSC
I'm in the exact same boat.
I pretty well know my concept, I'm passionate about it but I don't know how I could express it. It's stressing me out and we have to hand in what we've done so far tomorrow in class for a ATAR estimate :S

katykiddx

HSC
i know what i want to do but everytime i go to tell my teacher hes like its stupid etc.
So im afraid atm to tell him my new idea.

i want to do a series of photographs with the conceptual idea that we are just all statistics. And in the end how we are all just classified as a number in a system.
I want to take photos of people in ordinary situations but cut them out and make them into barcodes.
I also want to photograph some statistics such as car crashes etc. But like use toy cars.
And have the statistic in text.

but i dont know if it addresses the ideas of post modernism..
:(
HELP?

hiimhere11

HSC
You could call it your student number (ie Student: *******) just to reinforce your idea.

AmieLea

HSC
I'm in the exact same boat.
I pretty well know my concept, I'm passionate about it but I don't know how I could express it. It's stressing me out and we have to hand in what we've done so far tomorrow in class for a ATAR estimate :S
wow, pressure much?

i really need to talk to my teacher about my B.O.W. the conceptual idea is about domestic violence and the oppression the victims go thru. if anyone knows any artists, it would be a big help :angel: so far i've got barbara kruegar (my biggest inspiration), the Guerilla Girls, Kathy Isler, Kimberly Cook, Paul Lachine and another for my practise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)