Majoring in Marketing (1 Viewer)

Reliability

HSC
N/A
Would I be at a disadvantage if I hadn't majored in Psychology?
I am planning to double major in the commerce degree

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Can't see why you would be. Consumer/business behavior is like baby psychology and closer to straight logic like economics. It's kind of the same for all principles of marketing. It's like entry level psychology so you shouldn't need to major in it to do well and understand it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Reliability

HSC
N/A
^
I meant when you are being compared to other candidates.

This is mainly because I am questioning the importance of having a psychology major. More specifically:

1) Would it be better to finish with accounting/marketing double major + spend 1 year gaining experience in marketing field through internships etc.
OR
2) finish with marketing/psychology

NOTE: both of these occur over the span of 4 years!

Reliability

HSC
N/A
MARKEING: Which would you choose?

I am considering one of the following options:

1) Would it be better to graduate with accounting/marketing double major + spend 1 year gaining experience in marketing field through internships etc.

OR

2) graduate with marketing/psychology

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^

This is mainly because I am questioning the importance of having a psychology major. More specifically:

1) Would it be better to finish with accounting/marketing double major + spend 1 year gaining experience in marketing field through internships etc.
OR

1),

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Unless you're going into Marketing Academia, psychology won't really help you that much.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
^

OR

Better off with 1 mate. A psychology major won't do anything much for you.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What can also be worthwhile is pairing Marketing with a double in an industry you want to get into. Like Sports Marketing, Science Marketing, Technology Marketing etc.

williamdaft

HSC
Re: MARKEING: Which would you choose?

*MARKETING

I'll choose 1.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

I would say the first option is better.

Assuming your end goal is to work in marketing, i'd argue a sound understanding of business operations would be a better fit in this day and age than psychology. The accounting pathway would give you more options in regards to working in a business (ie. foot in the door) than psychology and then moving to marketing in due course.

Also, the added benefits of an internship would help. Plus if you don't enjoy marketing, more of your core subjects will be the same as accounting is under the commerce field, meaning you haven't wasted a lot of time.

:)

williamdaft

HSC

I would say the first option is better.

Assuming your end goal is to work in marketing, i'd argue a sound understanding of business operations would be a better fit in this day and age than psychology. The accounting pathway would give you more options in regards to working in a business (ie. foot in the door) than psychology and then moving to marketing in due course.

Also, the added benefits of an internship would help. Plus if you don't enjoy marketing, more of your core subjects will be the same as accounting is under the commerce field, meaning you haven't wasted a lot of time.

:)
^ yeh

Reliability

HSC
N/A

what about if I triple major in Marketing/Psychology/Accounting which will take around 4.5~5years?

Also, I've just realised that most applications for internships are closed...
Does this mean that when they all open around mid-year, I will only have time to do 1 internship per year because it will be kind of hard having to complete 3 internships all at the same time since you'll be devoting alot of time for 1 of them?

Reliability

HSC
N/A
what about if I triple major in Marketing/Psychology/Accounting which will take around 4.5~5years?

Does this mean that when they all open around mid-year, I will only have time to do 1 internship per year because it will be kind of hard having to complete 3 internships all at the same time since you'll be devoting alot of time for 1 of them?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

It's kind of a waste. You'd be better off just doing the standard single or double degree, and putting your skills to use on projects.

Different places open internships at different times. And have different requirements. Apply for whatever you can find, do as many as your schedule will allow.

Reliability

HSC
N/A
It's kind of a waste. You'd be better off just doing the standard single or double degree, and putting your skills to use on projects.

Different places open internships at different times. And have different requirements. Apply for whatever you can find, do as many as your schedule will allow.
The only reason I am considering Psychology is because I don't want to be at a competitive disadvantage... Assuming equal experience, graduating with Accounting & Marketing majors does not really seem like it could compete with those who have majored in Psych. which complements well with Marketing, am i wrong? :(

So... are you saying just completing Marketing/Accounting would be better off than doing marketing/psych/accounting if i was to pursue a marketing job?
(p.s I chose accounting because I feel that is essential to understanding businesses, which I know might not really go well with marketing and I also chose it because it could also serve as a back-up if i fail to find a job in the marketing industry).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The only reason I am considering Psychology is because I don't want to be at a competitive disadvantage... Assuming equal experience, graduating with Accounting & Marketing majors does not really seem like it could compete with those who have majored in Psych. which complements well with Marketing, am i wrong? :(

So... are you saying just completing Marketing/Accounting would be better off than doing marketing/psych/accounting if i was to pursue a marketing job?
(p.s I chose accounting because I feel that is essential to understanding businesses, which I know might not really go well with marketing and I also chose it because it could also serve as a back-up if i fail to find a job in the marketing industry).
It sounds strange, but you don't really need psychology for marketing. Psychology is important, but only for those people who are studying and creating marketing theory. The actual marketers don't need to know the specific technical psychology behind it, they just need to know the marketing that causes it.

High level statistics, coding ability, or graphic design are all far more useful areas to focus on that psychology for marketing grads.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

You want to take an intership for each major? Your meant to take them during your penultimate year and you can do more then one in a year as you have more then one break.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

You want to take an intership for each major? Your meant to take them during your penultimate year and you can do more then one in a year as you have more then one break.
You can take them whenever you want, and whenever you can get them.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

You can take them whenever you want, and whenever you can get them.
Isn't it stock standard for companies to hire during 2nd/3rd year and during breaks so that they work full-time and not break their study?

I mean sure some smaller companies might break the mould,but the larger companies...

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Do companies hire first years as interns!?
my girlfriend got an internship (3 months) at Allen & Unwin in publicity as a first year

extremely lucky if you are hired as a firstie imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)