Man dies after playing starcraft for 50 hours w/ a few breaks (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
S Korean dies after games session

A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks.

The 28-year-old man collapsed after playing the game Starcraft at an internet cafe in the city of Taegu, according to South Korean authorities.

The man had not slept properly, and had eaten very little during his marathon session, said police.

Multi-player gaming in South Korea is extremely popular thanks to its fast and widespread broadband network.

Games are televised and professional players are treated, as well as paid, like sports stars.

Professional gamers there attract huge sums in sponsorship and can make more than $100,000 a year.

The man, identified by his family name, Lee, started playing Starcraft on 3 August. He only paused playing to go to the toilet and for short periods of sleep, said the police.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official told the Reuters news agency.

He was taken to hospital following his collapse, but died shortly after, according to the police. It is not known whether he suffered from any previous health conditions.

They added that he had recently been fired from his job because he kept missing work to play computer games.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4137782.stm

So do u guys think computer game addiction should be treated more seriously?

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
thats a new low but i heard its much worst in icon magazine last week.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
that's a new record - the previous was 36 hrs i think?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
before i opened the thread i was gonna ask if he was korean lol. guess i was right. nevertheless R.I.P .. yeah i agree with politik starcraft is shit.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I do believe computer game addiction should be taken more seriously, they spend alot of money bringing in psychologists / marketing experts for these rpg's and make them never-ending time sinks that get ALOT of people addicted.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Multi-player gaming in South Korea is extremely popular thanks to its fast and widespread broadband network.

Games are televised and professional players are treated, as well as paid, like sports stars.

Professional gamers there attract huge sums in sponsorship and can make more than $100,000 a year.

They added that he had recently been fired from his job because he kept missing work to play computer games.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
While staying in a hotel once I managed to find a few sat channels from various countries. It seems broadcasting people playing Warcraft 3 and CS and other games is a big thing in some countries. It was surreal watching tv watching people play computer games and 2 commentators talking "strategy". They were like "Oh no he's going for the base but Kwan is sneaking for the waypoint victory!!!!!!!".

Anyway plenty of people have died over video games, lets not forget the fights over grief players and loot ninjas and TKs that make the story once in a while. I think one guy got stabbed somewhere over ninjaing a sword from under some guy and selling it.

China has a ward for computer game addicts.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Before people start criticising their videogame obsession, please realise it's no different than our sport obsession.
ive never watched a game of footy for 50 hours straight though

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Hybr!d said:
That is sad. Wasting your life for a game. I read a article recently a guy suicided online in his webcam because he lost a game.
thats not sad, thats funny!

link please

kiteblood

HSC
I think it should be treated more seriously.

I have a brother who is heavily addicted to computer games. When he loses he goes through fits of rage that can last hours. He screams uncontrollably, throws objects, often breaks his gaming equipment, and lashes out violently. I honestly think he can be capable of murder in such a state.

I know people are going to say I'm talking about an 'anger' issue rather than a 'gaming' issue, but computer games alone have the power to make him so dangerously violent. It's to the point that he's not even playing (a term which implies some sort of enjoyment is gained out of the activity), he's just working himself into frenzy. It's both pathetic and, unfortunately, dangerous.

I'm not surprised people die over addictive computer games. It becomes impossible for them to put the fucking controller down.

But yeah, that moron should have got some sleep.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
its kinda sad that so many people are taking virtual reality so seriously, it has encompassed their whole life, focused upon a single screen and some controllers all day. not to mention slowly developing sore eyes and crampt fingers and hands, and constantly sitting in their chairs all day long. not good for good health and well-being at all.

those people need to get out more. its nice to cast some spells, get a couple of headshots, and hack and slash at some zombies now and then, but it shouldnt be the entire focus of our lives. there is plenty more beyond the tv screen or the computer screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)