Mark Check is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

hjed

HSC
Hi all

I am pretty happy with my marks, but I know in school exams I usually find a couple of marks when we check it in class. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the likelyhood is that mark check will increase your mark? (Presumably it is lower than in a school exam)

Or basically is it worth the money you have to pay to have it done?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Some stats on rechecks from past years.

HSC year200120022003200420052006
No. of course rechecks 225717121825178418301751
No. of changes made2727145286

pHyRe

HSC
geez, 1% chance?

i have no idea what the hell went wrong in chem and eco then...

i'll still order my raw marks and see wtf happened. then maybe a recheck.

NFmusic1995

HSC
Its not a remark or anything, they are checking if they missed any sections and stuff.

pHyRe

HSC
also the lady i talked to from the BoS said all exams are double marked and a mark 'recheck' is simply checking all the marks were added up correctly and attributed correctly. the exam is NOT remarked.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
also the lady i talked to from the BoS said all exams are double marked and a mark 'recheck' is simply checking all the marks were added up correctly and attributed correctly. the exam is NOT remarked.

The lady from the BOS was incorrect however as short responses of less than 10 marks are only single marked not double marked but the recheck information is correct in that what they do is ensure that all the sections have had marks allocated, that the correct internally moderation has taken place and that they have been aligned correctly. It is a 'clerical recheck' not a 'remark' with markers doing anything.

pHyRe

HSC
ah okay, that makes sense. i was surprised to hear about double marking.

damn i hope theyve lost a section or ***ed up something bad for chem/eco. they were normally my best subjects and now they are among my worst.

wouldnt even care that much if they lost it and couldn't find it and didnt change my mark to be honest since i'll probs get into my course. it's just so disheartening given the work i put in

HSC
Well if you really don't understand your mistakes and your mark was totally unexpected I guess it is worth a shot but usually it wouldn't change.

hjed

HSC
Yeah, that's usually where I find missing marks, but

Some stats on rechecks from past years.

HSC year200120022003200420052006
No. of course rechecks 225717121825178418301751
No. of changes made2727145286
Says it all. Thanks for the info

Lina3

HSC
ah okay, that makes sense. i was surprised to hear about double marking.

damn i hope theyve lost a section or ***ed up something bad for chem/eco. they were normally my best subjects and now they are among my worst.

wouldnt even care that much if they lost it and couldn't find it and didnt change my mark to be honest since i'll probs get into my course. it's just so disheartening given the work i put in
Exactly how I feel. Music was my best subject nek minnit...80. In the same position as you, I will most likely get into my course (I hope) but its so disheartening and depressing after all the effort.

pHyRe

HSC
Exactly how I feel. Music was my best subject nek minnit...80. In the same position as you, I will most likely get into my course (I hope) but its so disheartening and depressing after all the effort.
Yup.

probably get smashed with my atar tomorrow too but i've stopped caring that much...

i hope uni is better than this crap

phoenix1

HSC
N/A
It's even more disheartening when you get 89 overall. Where your internal mark is 91 but exam mark is 86. Need a recheck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Lina3

HSC
Yup.

probably get smashed with my atar tomorrow too but i've stopped caring that much...

i hope uni is better than this crap
I feel ya :( All I wanted was to get above 90...not gonna happen now. I've sacrificed having a part-time job for this...now it looks like flipping burgers at maccas for minimum wage would have been more worth my time than the afternoons I spent studying.

It's even more disheartening when you get 89 overall. Where your internal mark is 91 but exam mark is 86. Need a recheck!
Yes a recheck is definitely worth it even if only to get a peace of mind. Ooh and I empathize with you too since that happened to me also...twice. 89/100 for English Advanced 44/50 for History Extension. FML FML FML.

pHyRe

HSC

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
holy crap exactly the same for me! except for TWO subjects... ergh.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Some years ago I had a student get 89 for both Modern and Ancient and then a top mark of 44 for Extension - so disheartening to miss 3 top bands by 1 mark each - even as a teacher.

hayleyemma96

HSC
That was like me...I've been getting 85-90% all year in Advanced English and then I got a mark of 81 (78 = exam, 84 = assessment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pHyRe

HSC
That was like me...I've been getting 85-90% all year in Advanced English and then I got a mark of 81 (78 = exam, 84 = assessment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats really brutal :(

got the same mark, but it was atleast somewhat expected as i got 64% in my trials. but i thought i did better in the exam. ohwell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)