marriage (1 Viewer)

tash.

HSC
so i was wondering.. my bf and i are 17 and we've been going out for 2 years now. we've admitted that we want to be with eachother in the future and often discuss getting married and having children .. is it like that for most people with partners?

Legham

HSC
'sif you would get married so young. what bad will waiting like 5 years do?

tash.

HSC
Legham said:
'sif you would get married so young. what bad will waiting like 5 years do?
we're not gonna get married now, we just talk about it often and want it in the future

HSC
In the interests of actually answering the question you asked, maybe not "most" people, but some people do make up their minds like that fairly early (you certainly wouldn't be the first). I'd imagine what you're talking about is similar to what other people in the same situation are talking about (surprise!). Of the people I know who talked about that thing with their partners back in school, most are still together, about five years later (married, engaged, etc). It seems if anything that it'd be unnatural not to talk about it at least a little bit, assuming you were both serious about the relationship and definitely in it for the long-term. Ultimately, as cheesy as it sounds, what everyone else is doing and saying about you jumping the gun doesn't really come into it.

Edit: lol, major overhaul of post. Hopefully it fits together, roughly.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its cool to talk about it but I'd wait a few years...my b/f talks about it but we wouldn't do so until after uni (and I have 3 and a half years left of that). You guys are going to be going through heaps of changes when you finish school and go to work/uni/tafe/travel etc... just wait and see how things go you will be suprised to see how much you will change!

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
Yah.. there's a whole crazy world outta school... you never know what could happen in a split second!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
As of now it has been:

4 years with my boyfriend
1.5 years of living with him
Still haven't considered marriage.

You are in Step One and I am in Step Five or something. I know we're different people, but you know... Can't really wrap my head around you right now :(

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
You'll both change dramatically between the ages of 17 and 20 and by the end of that period will hardly recognize each other compared to how you are now

You know it's true :D

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Ennaybur said:
you won't, you've changed..
My sister has married her bf from yr11 High school and my brother has been going out with his gf for six years. Since year 11 again. It is rare but not impossible

ice ken

HSC
Gilbert1 said:
My sister has married her bf from yr11 High school and my brother has been going out with his gf for six years. Since year 11 again. It is rare but not impossible
super rare!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
That sort of talk scares the hell out of me. Maybe i will be married one day, but talking about it or even thinking about it makes me nervous to the max. If it became a regular sort of conversation i would be packing shit.

Anyways its sort of jumping the shark abit dont you think [see, thats like a triple reference right there for the smart ones] in the next few years you are going to change and you will be a totally different person. I talk to only maybe 4 people regularly from school, even the people i hung out with the most i dont see like ever and you just change, people change. Priorities like uni and work will take over, you will meet someone more compatible, whatever but it comes down to it, it probably wont work out.

sk1001

HSC
just listen to your heart before you tell him goodbye.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
tam101 said:
well ive just turned 17 and got engaged on friday.. my fiances 19, but if u wana be with eachother that badly then y not.. just make it work..
whoaa! congratz

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
It's ok to talk about it I guess, but I really wouldnt be getting your hopes up or anything. Also does he really like talking about it? Most boys back off when that comes up.

Either way 17 is too young if you do consider it....wait! Every single young marriage Ive seen has ended within the few years. I mean can you imagine being 19, at uni full time, needing to make money to uphold a household and concentrate on your marriage? Thats waaaaay tooo much. The imagine a few more years down the track (if you do last more than 2 years), if oyu have kids, youll be about 21-22 with a child to take care of, probably fresh out of uni too, so not much money and you probably havent done much travelling because you were working and studying...and probably not much going out either...

lol Im trailing...in short, there are better things to be thinking about :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)