Math Ext 1 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

icycledough

HSC
what's the best thing to do within the last 48 hours leading up to the exam?
Maybe a few past papers under strict timed conditions. But you don't want to be learning any new content in the last 2 days or overloading yourself. The best thing you can do is just to revise difficult topics, such as the ones mentioned above, and make sure you are prepared (although you can leave this till the night before the exam).

O01x

HSC
honestly doubt projectile motion after having that in x2, and considering vectors last year were like non-existent probs a vector proof
exam committees for x1 and x2 are different iirc (correct me if im wrong) so we could still get a projectile q

Siwel

HSC
exam committees for x1 and x2 are different iirc (correct me if im wrong) so we could still get a projectile q
i think we will get proj motion still just in reference to q14, would they have the same "area of a topic" in both the hardest questions of x2 and x1?

icycledough

HSC
I think it's best not to use precedents from previous exams as a basis for this year's exam. Just because a topic wasn't assessed last or was assessed heavily last year, doesn't mean they will or won't include it this year. The best thing is to make sure you're thorough and confident in every topic, to not take any second chances.

Siwel

HSC
I think it's best not to use precedents from previous exams as a basis for this year's exam. Just because a topic wasn't assessed last or was assessed heavily last year, doesn't mean they will or won't include it this year. The best thing is to make sure you're thorough and confident in every topic, to not take any second chances.
i would agree, just making observations the best way to do well is to know everything well

TheShy

HSC
honestly doubt projectile motion after having that in x2, and considering vectors last year were like non-existent probs a vector proof
Last year had no vectors or projectile iirc, so im assuming theres gonna be alot more, probs proof related with both of them. I also reckon theres gonna be a lot more stats too

Siwel

HSC
any thoughts on a logistic equation being the chemistry one (mixtures)

notme123

HSC
any thoughts on a logistic equation being the chemistry one (mixtures)
the logistic equation is just a normal DE with partial frac in the working out right? idk why it has a special name like bro its the same method. do you reckon theyll ask a tank q. i reckon they wont

Siwel

HSC
the logistic equation is just a normal DE with partial frac in the working out right? idk why it has a special name like bro its the same method. do you reckon theyll ask a tank q. i reckon they wont
yeah the tank thing is what i was referring to just called it chem cause reminds me of chemistry but yeah i think they might

Siwel

HSC
called logistic i believe cause of the carrying capacity

luminol

HSC
it has its own name because it's most frequently used for population modelling as opposed to the other equations which can be applied to other systems such as cooling.
there's a chance they might since there's a dotpoint in the syllabus to model diff equations in different contexts including chemistry, which is where I think the tank might come into play?

Siwel

HSC
it has its own name because it's most frequently used for population modelling as opposed to the other equations which can be applied to other systems such as cooling.
there's a chance they might since there's a dotpoint in the syllabus to model diff equations in different contexts including chemistry, which is where I think the tank might come into play?
yeah and considering for memory wasnt a logistic last year

JesusChriiii

HSC
VCE loves the tank question for memory, but has never appeared in HSC right? I reckon a logistic equation might occur, but unlikely the tank will

A1La5

HSC
A former James Ruse student has published some advice in the Daily Telegraph about the upcoming Extension 1 exam: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/e...m/news-story/1cd820de89e36fc8d033661d42e58223
Without the paywall:

A top-performing James Ruse student who received an ATAR of 99.90 in his HSC has revealed his top tips for studying for the Mathematics Extension 1 exam on Friday afternoon.
Brandon He, who graduated in 2017, received an almost perfect mark of 99 out of 100 for Mathematics Extension 1.

Here are his tips for success.

Maths in the morning: Do some maths in the morning before your exam. This helps warm you up, calm the nerves, and generally helps you to not make silly mistakes.

Simplicity is key: Keep your strategy simple. Do the paper from start to end, don’t try to pick and choose questions to start on.

Revise all the formulae you need to know the night before.

Revise all the formulae you need to know the night before.
Build on your answers: For the harder multi-part questions, don’t forget that they often require part a or b to be used in part c or d, so go back and have a look at what information you proved in the earlier parts of the question and have a think about how it can be used in the latter parts.

Start with the end in mind: Try to determine what route you will go down for a maths problem before you start writing; this’ll make sure you don’t waste time committing to an incorrect method.

Calculators are king: Mental maths is great, but I always rely on my calculator to make sure I don’t make silly mistakes when evaluating final answers to questions.

Don’t overeat: Eat a balanced light-moderate, but not heavy, meal prior to the exam.

Sleep: Get a full eight hours rest the night before. I find I make more silly mistakes in exams when I am sleep-deprived.

Bookmark: The night before is a great time to revise all the topic’s formulae to “bookmark” all the methods into your head.

Circles: If you find yourself unable to proceed, circle the question, leave space for it, and come back to the question once you’ve completed the other questions you can complete.

Check: If you finish early, use your calculator to go back and check your answers!

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Mybad. Sorry as a subscriber I kind of forgot about that. But click on A1La5's spoiler above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)