MATH1141/ PHYS1131 rollcall (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, both. Not going to enjoy 8am Thursday, although it is a lecture.

Last edited:

IamBread

HSC
Yeah 8am on thursday... Though I'm on campus so it shouldn't be too bad :D

TheStallion

HSC
That's fucked up I would never turn up to any 8am shit, I think this is the first year they've done this

IamBread

HSC
There is another lot you can choose, this one just went well with me lol.

D94

HSC
N/A
That's fucked up I would never turn up to any 8am shit, I think this is the first year they've done this
There is another option, but if you do PHYS1131, MATH1141 with COMP1917 or ENGG1000, you can only choose the 8am option (I cannot find any other way to fit in the other PHYS1131 classes).

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
WTF since when did they have an 8am option? :O
Originally it was forced (ie. there was no option), but it appears they recently introduced another time option.

IamBread

HSC
Originally it was forced (ie. there was no option), but it appears they recently introduced another time option.
Yeah I seem to remembering there only being 1, but when I checked earlier there was 2. There was a problem with PHYS1131 and MATH1141 clashing with the lectures, and the one that didn't clash was full, which was a problem. Guess they resolved that.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
8am lecture wtf?

Good luck with those guys, you will need it. Two of the hardest courses you will do.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You can just go to the phys1121 lecture they were exactly the same in my year.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It wasn't sarcasm. They are seriously two of the hardest courses that many people struggle with the most.

TheStallion

HSC
People will probably struggle the most with them because they're new to uni, that's it really. The content isn't hard at all. There are many many harder subjects than first year maths and physics. Heck if someone did 4U maths in the HSC, they would know almost all of MATH1131/1141 already before even starting the course.

IamBread

HSC
Well that'll come in handy then. I hope they are a challenge though.

HSC
N/A
People will probably struggle the most with them because they're new to uni, that's it really. The content isn't hard at all. There are many many harder subjects than first year maths and physics. Heck if someone did 4U maths in the HSC, they would know almost all of MATH1131/1141 already before even starting the course.
...not sure about "almost all MATH1131/1141". Most of the algebra side is new. Maple is new. Some of calculus stuff that is new too but you are right in that a good 4U student could probably pass the course (after scaling) when they start. Try looking at a math1131/1141 exam on the unsw library website if you want to see how much of it you can do already.

TheStallion

HSC
...not sure about "almost all MATH1131/1141". Most of the algebra side is new. Maple is new. Some of calculus stuff that is new too but you are right in that a good 4U student could probably pass the course (after scaling) when they start. Try looking at a math1131/1141 exam on the unsw library website if you want to see how much of it you can do already.
What do you mean do already, i've already done the damn course, look at my profile, HSC 2010.

Most of the algebra is new but so basic, matrices and vector aren't difficult. All of calculus most people already know, or at least the vast majority of it. That's a near pass in the course already without even starting it, like you said.

Not trying to detract from people putting effort into the course - you do need to put the effort in, i've seen people that do 4U barely pass the course and people that did only 2U HD the crap out of it - what I am trying to detract from is scaring first year kids about how difficult it will be, since it isn't that difficult.

Maple again is really easy, nobody ever does badly there except for a few rare cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)