Mathematics Extension 1 Exam Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Arrowshaft

HSC
so there has always been a projectile motion question every year (i think), maybe nesa won't put one this year to troll us?
Yea naaaa m8 haha, highly unlikely they wont

Arrowshaft

HSC
Wishful thinking, but it's highly unlikely. NESA most likely does that because the state usually performs quite poorly in Projectile Questions (or at least the later parts of the problems).
Also, does the state actually do bad in projectiles??? 3u projectile don’t seem too bad, I thought the state struggled more with circle geo tbh. Projectiles is usually just algebra

Last edited:

llatz_

HSC
Also, does the state actually do bad in projectiles??? 3u projectile don’t seem too bad, I thought the state struggled more with circle geo tbh. Projectiles is usually just algebra
Tbh I don't think its the algebra, the difficult part of projectile is understanding the question !

Skuxxgolfer

HSC
N/A
LaTeX solutions, until q12 something. I didn't finish coding it, sorry, bit busy with HSC. EDIT: my dumbass also in a haste messed up q2 mcq, the answer should be 2/a I think from memory
For question 11e i dont understand why you multiplied the answer by 6 (ik the answer says "because there are 6 different colours that the dice could land on"), but the question only mentions the probablity of the same scores, why do the colours effect the final outcome?

Heresy

HSC
I would imagine so, I mean it is towards the end of the paper and people would come across it with say 20 mins left and get frustrated because they don't know how to proceed e.g. the results involving the inequality signs.

Feel free to look at statistics and tell us what you find, most of 3U Circle Geometry is usually something relating to the alternate segment theorem or proving that something is a cyclic quadrilateral - not exactly difficult stuff...

Arrowshaft

HSC
For question 11e i dont understand why you multiplied the answer by 6 (ik the answer says "because there are 6 different colours that the dice could land on"), but the question only mentions the probablity of the same scores, why do the colours effect the final outcome?
Because the same scores can occur for the 6 different colours, and otherwise we are only considering the probability of it happening for one specific colour

Arrowshaft

HSC
I would imagine so, I mean it is towards the end of the paper and people would come across it with say 20 mins left and get frustrated because they don't know how to proceed e.g. the results involving the inequality signs.

Feel free to look at statistics and tell us what you find, most of 3U Circle Geometry is usually something relating to the alternate segment theorem or proving that something is a cyclic quadrilateral - not exactly difficult stuff...
From all the “notes from the marking centre” docs I’ve seen, students seemed to struggle most with geometry in general, apparently e4 students even struggled with proving the 1 or 2 mark similar triangle question last year!

StudyOnly

HSC
Because the same scores can occur for the 6 different colours, and otherwise we are only considering the probability of it happening for one specific colour
I think it's a poorly worded question, Skuxxgolfer is assuming the dice are all different colours not the faces of the dice.

Skuxxgolfer

HSC
N/A
I think it's a poorly worded question, Skuxxgolfer is assuming the dice are all different colours not the faces of the dice.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay i get it now ty

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Wishful thinking, but it's highly unlikely. NESA most likely does that because the state usually performs quite poorly in Projectile Questions (or at least the later parts of the problems).
Not really, NESA does it because the HSC exam is meant to cover all key topics across the syllabus. It would make no sense for them to suddenly skip an entire topic in the HSC exam.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I have an uneasy feeling the last question this time might be a functions and inverse functions questions. It’s been a while since they did that (14 years, 2005 iirc).

Heresy

HSC
Not really, NESA does it because the HSC exam is meant to cover all key topics across the syllabus. It would make no sense for them to suddenly skip an entire topic in the HSC exam.
Yeah that's something I completely skipped over ngl.

Heresy

HSC
I was reading on here that NESA has to examine everything in the syllabus in the span of 5 years. Is this true?

They may pull another MX2-like scenario on us tomorrow (putting in an MX2 Projectile question when it hadn't been in the HSC before).

TeheeCat

HSC
Anyone have like last minute tips for those proving binomial identities questions? Or is it just one of those topics where you either see it or you don't?

If it helps, the ones I specifically struggled with was 2013 Q14bii) and the one with the grid question (can't remember)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone have like last minute tips for those proving binomial identities questions? Or is it just one of those topics where you either see it or you don't?

If it helps, the ones I specifically struggled with was 2013 Q14bii) and the one with the grid question (can't remember)
When I did the binomial question (2018 hsc) I got it out by firstly writing out what term each coefficient is representing. Like for example every second term was of the form

which kind of screams out coefficient of x^r and after writing out a few it becomes obvious. I always looked for these kinds of patterns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)