Maths? 2 Unit/ General? (1 Viewer)

hn92

HSC
Heya everyone
I choice 2 unit maths for my classes next year. but im a bit worried that its going to be too hard ><
I'm in selective and I do 5.3 advanced already but i was thinking..
- Would it be better to get really good marks in general than mediocre marks in 2 unit??
and how would this impact scaling, etc??
Maths really isn't my strong point LOL.

hn92

HSC
3 Unit?
i struggle with 5.3.. i don't find it easy and breeze through it. its hard.

3 unit would be way too hard.

bawd

HSC
hn92 said:
3 Unit?

You're in Year 10 and not quite in a position to judge whether or not 3 unit is hard. Yet. I believe you should try 2 unit Mathematics first. General is just year 7 - 10 mathematics and you may or may not be dragged down if your cohort does not perform as well as you may.

suzlee

HSC
I would give 2U Maths a try; you can always drop down to General, can't you? But it doesn't work in reverse. So why not give it a go?

HSC
i hear that general maths is very different to other maths..so choose wisely as dropping down to general may not always be your best option :)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
hn92 said:
3 Unit?

maybe its just your school syllabus that's hard. what school do you go to?

okay. in that case, do 2 unit. Dont do general maths unless you have tried 2 unit

ratcher0071

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
i hear that general maths is very different to other maths..so choose wisely as dropping down to general may not always be your best option :)

It's true, general maths was called "maths in society", so it is basically a real world application of mathematics

e.g. Consumer Arithmetic

Whilst maths 2unit, 3unit, is just formulae and geometry :D

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you'd be better off with 2unit - mathematics is a prequisite for quite a few uni courses. If you top general maths you should be doing 2 unit...I think.

What are the typical marks you would usually get for what you're doing now?

cHoke-meh

HSC
5.3 is the Advanced Course. 5 is Stage 5 and 3 is Advanced (?). I think 5.2 is intermediate and 5.1 is standard or something like that.

The Huntster

I is teh sexy ninja
HSC
well 2 unit should be fine if u just have the right state of mind and put in a good effort. I was having the same thoughts as u but then today my geography teacher who is also the career's coordinator or whatever at our school basically sat us down for a whole period today and told us all about subject choices and stuff and he said that general maths, general english and VET subjects get scaled down. He showed us that if u get like a 70 in general maths then it could go down to like a 59 because u could have the same mark as someone who did like 3-unit which would be unfair if u still got the same mark when u did a way easier course. But then he said that if u get in the top 3 or 4 in the class in it then there's like a 99% chance of it not getting scaled down at all which means that u can get like an 85 in it and keep it as long as u still try really hard.

hope that helped.

Cerry

HSC
pwoh said:
I think you'd be better off with 2unit - mathematics is a prequisite for quite a few uni courses. If you top general maths you should be doing 2 unit...I think.
No. I started off doing mathematics, and I failed the first three assessment tasks. I switched to general, and topped the yearly exam, despite having not actually been in the class for half the material.
I'm now ranked 2, by about half a mark, and if I was still doing mathematics, I'd be failing in a very spectacular fashion. There's no point doing a subject that scales well if you can't actually pass it.

Also, if mathematics is a pre-req for a course, and you aren't really capable of doing the mathematics work, then odds are you're not going to do all that well at the course at uni.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Try out 2 unit.

And then drop out to general. I mean, I would try experience what 2 unit is like. If I went to general without giving a second thought, I would have regret so much last year.

hn92

HSC
hmm. true . thank yo! im put dwn for mathematics but considering dropping, so ill test it out :)

HSC
hmm. true . thank yo! im put dwn for mathematics but considering dropping, so ill test it out :)
general is different to other maths courses coz it has a different outcome or watever you want to call it

quite a few guys here on bos say that if they were to drop down to general they would probably fail..and they're like ext. 1/2 students

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Personally, it'd try 3U then drop down if I don't like it.

It doesn't hurt to try 3U for a term or so.

HSC
75 HSC Mark in General is same as 70 in 2U (2005)

I was in a similar position, did 5.3 maths, took up 2U in prelim but ended up dropping to General at the start of Year 12.

Advice: Do 2U then drop/or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)