Maths Ext 2? (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Some people exaggerate the difficulty of MX2. I was pretty scared of doing it at first, but it's not too bad. My teacher gives A LOT of homework (I reckon he's made us do 95% of the exercises in the Cambridge textbook throughout the year + plenty more) so if you spend AT LEAST 1 hour every night studying for MX2, you should be fine. I got about 71/120 for my trials (CSSA) but I managed to scrape a 90 for my exam and get an E4. From your 2U and 3U results it doesn't look like you'll struggle much in MX2 as long as you put in the effort.
Does everyone study for Extension 2 every night? My teacher basically gave us only one exercise of Cambridge a week for Complex numbers and a couple for Graphs a week. Hmm... I guess I should start looking for other books and etc.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Does everyone study for Extension 2 every night? My teacher basically gave us only one exercise of Cambridge a week for Complex numbers and a couple for Graphs a week. Hmm... I guess I should start looking for other books and etc.
there is no point of doing numerous exercises in various textbooks, as most of the textbooks have a lot of repetitive type of questions [comparing cambridge with fitzpatrick]. it's excessive and useless. you will only experience different type of questions if u do more trials / past papers and thats the sort of questions u want to master.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
there is no point of doing numerous exercises in various textbooks, as most of the textbooks have a lot of repetitive type of questions [comparing cambridge with fitzpatrick]. it's excessive and useless. you will only experience different type of questions if u do more trials / past papers and thats the sort of questions u want to master.
Though past papers are key to maths, repetition helps you to retain the information/theory/application a lot easier.

Nahidul

HSC
nothing in this world worth having, comes easy. so regardless of what subject you do in the HSC you NEED to put effort into it. therefore, if you put effort into extension 2 maths you will most definitely end up with a pleasing result. past papers is the key to maths, so yeh past papers for 4u = good mark :)

Pandemic

HSC
I just want to add on to the creator of this thread without creating a new one.

Frankly, i haven't being doing much studying for 4U math this holidays. I know i regret it so much. But I am behind most of my classmates in 4U math as they went to all these tutor and the teacher at school just really cannot teach well.
I even find some of the complex number and 4U integration questions difficult.

However, 3U math not as difficult and stressed out as 4U math. I was wondering whether I should just drop 4U math and just do 3U so that I can focus my time on my other subjects.
I am definitely performing much better in 3U than 4U. I'm not the really genius math freak, so I need to spend a bit more time on 4U math than all the other people out there.
I've read what other people posted before, and the 4U scaling is godly. But maybe in my case, the time I put into 4U will not pay off in the end.

So what do you guys think? Should I just stick with 4U or drop down to 3U math?
btw, the subjects I'm currently doing are English Advanced, Math Ext2, Math Ext1, Chemistry, Physics, Information Process and Technology (IPT).

Thanks in Advance :)

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Conversely, he could drop down if he feels he could completely destroy the 2U and 3U exams plus he'd still have 11 units left.

khfreakau

HSC
O_O Our teacher makes us do 1-2 exercises a night... sometimes 3. Your workload sounds so relaxed D:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
O_O Our teacher makes us do 1-2 exercises a night... sometimes 3. Your workload sounds so relaxed D:
Are you guys serious? My workload is relaxed. LOL. We basically only get one cambridge exercise a week and if it is basic/short then we get a few. How many days/hours do you have extension 2 a week? I only have it for 2 hours a week.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I just want to add on to the creator of this thread without creating a new one.

Frankly, i haven't being doing much studying for 4U math this holidays. I know i regret it so much. But I am behind most of my classmates in 4U math as they went to all these tutor and the teacher at school just really cannot teach well.
I even find some of the complex number and 4U integration questions difficult.

However, 3U math not as difficult and stressed out as 4U math. I was wondering whether I should just drop 4U math and just do 3U so that I can focus my time on my other subjects.
I am definitely performing much better in 3U than 4U. I'm not the really genius math freak, so I need to spend a bit more time on 4U math than all the other people out there.
I've read what other people posted before, and the 4U scaling is godly. But maybe in my case, the time I put into 4U will not pay off in the end.

So what do you guys think? Should I just stick with 4U or drop down to 3U math?
btw, the subjects I'm currently doing are English Advanced, Math Ext2, Math Ext1, Chemistry, Physics, Information Process and Technology (IPT).

Thanks in Advance :)
I have been severely neglecting 4U in the holidays as well D:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
My teacher isn't really bent out on exercises. He says people doing 4U should be able to decide for themselves how much they need to do.

jayy100

HSC
N/A
Could you do well in 4u, by just solely relying on pastpapers? So like just working on pastpapers, without doing any textbook work? :S

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Could you do well in 4u, by just solely relying on pastpapers? So like just working on pastpapers, without doing any textbook work? :S
I suppose you could, but I would applaud if you could do exam questions without consolidating knowledge first.

Why would you do that anyway? :L

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you guys serious? My workload is relaxed. LOL. We basically only get one cambridge exercise a week and if it is basic/short then we get a few. How many days/hours do you have extension 2 a week? I only have it for 2 hours a week.
I have MX2 four times a fortnight, so 2 hrs a week.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah okay :p So what does your teacher do during lessons? My teacher just spends 2 hours explaining and then we do the work at home.
Yep, basically the same and he adds examples to consolidate the lesson.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Sheesh, I've done zero MX2 all holidays round, I think I'm getting a tad bit overconfident - which of course, is definitely not a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)