Maths Extension exam... sucked (1 Viewer)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Dimsimmer said:
Yes, i understand that feeling when you dont do well and people brag about doing well. But what really annoys me is like when someone asks me what my mark was and i wasn't that good, it was average like 34/60 , he gives the thumbs up and says i passed and then i ask him his mark and he says 50, which is 50/60 and after the lesson he goes on about that he stuffed the test and that he knew all the questions. I wouldnt be complaining about that kind of mark.
True. But look at it from his perspective. The standards that he imposes on himself are far higher than the standard you impose on yourself. From his point of view, if you did know all the questions but managed to stuff them up, you'd be disappointed too. In the HSC, that could be all the difference from a 99.5 and a 95.4. When UAI is all important, each mark counts some.

I_F

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Dimsimmer said:
Yes, i understand that feeling when you dont do well and people brag about doing well. But what really annoys me is like when someone asks me what my mark was and i wasn't that good, it was average like 34/60 , he gives the thumbs up and says i passed and then i ask him his mark and he says 50, which is 50/60 and after the lesson he goes on about that he stuffed the test and that he knew all the questions. I wouldnt be complaining about that kind of mark.
I hate it when people ask me my mark when its crap and then they complain about how they lost like 2 marks and stufff....and i want to punch them in the face but can't grrr y can't they be happy for just losing 2 marks when other people have only got like 60% or something????.:(

Last edited:

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
once u're serious about maths, every mark counts...my yr 11 2u course is hectic...every mark counts! cuz from 100-90 mark range, 1/2 of the grade is in it, 100-95% range there are over 30 ppl! so if u do get the 2 extra marks, u'll be beating around 10 ppl

klaw

HSC
HamuTarou said:
once u're serious about maths, every mark counts...my yr 11 2u course is hectic...every mark counts! cuz from 100-90 mark range, 1/2 of the grade is in it, 100-95% range there are over 30 ppl! so if u do get the 2 extra marks, u'll be beating around 10 ppl
they should make the 2U Qs harder then...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Dimsimmer said:
Look at your marks in contrast to your history and ability/capibility.
Thumbs Up? Maybe that 34/60 was a big improvement from your last one.
He stuffed it? He's probably used to get marks 90% or higher or sets high standards for himself.
What do you mean he knew all the questions??
You mean the answers?

I'd be ashamed if i knew the answers but didn't get the chance to write that down because of time's up; "it wasn't in my head at that time but i remembered as soon as i left the exam room and yelled out 'oh nooooo!!!'"; the first question i did took so long that i didn't get a chance to do the easy questions....

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
klaw said:
Parabola and locus is basically just co-ordinate geometry with more thinking (diagrams help a lot in this topic)... and parametrics is prelim I think...
We haven't covered Parametrics anyway, so I can conclude that it is not Year 11 work. Actually, come to think of it, we have not covered many topics such as Series and Sequences, Maxima and Minima in Calculus, Circle Geometry (Thank god my Year 10 class had covered it last year. Great head start!) and Mathematical Induction. Other schools have learnt those topics in Year 11 and according to my teacher these won't be covered until Year 12.:( Some schools have even started integration already, which I know is a Year 12 topic.

My yearly exam was a killer. It was the first official 3 hour exam that I ever had. It was really darn long and unlike the half yearlies in which I had a whole hour to check since it was so easy, I only had about half an hour left to skim over my work. There were 10 questions for 3 hours in the exam as opposed to the 5 questions for 2 hours in the half yearlies and the 5 questions for 70 minutes in the common test.
It was definitely much harder and much more challenging than the half yearlies. When I finished, I was like "Wow, I actually made it through an exam, 3 hours straight!". Once I get it back, I might post the exam paper in the resources section so you guys can see.
Anyway, it doesn't matter much since I already got into Extension 2 and I think we will be getting our results tomorrow...

HSC
Yo dude, we're not going to even cover Parabola tomorrow because first period will be used to go through the exam and last period is going to be wasted on the year 12 concert.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
omg, failed the 3 unit test>!!!!
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG (ect.)

only 18/50

dammit

good thing our 2unit test was the next day, and knowing i failed the other concentrated and got 47/50 for the 2unit (2nd in school.. lol someone got 49)

damn, i suck :D

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
YBK said:
omg, failed the 3 unit test>!!!!
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG (ect.)

only 18/50

dammit

good thing our 2unit test was the next day, and knowing i failed the other concentrated and got 47/50 for the 2unit (2nd in school.. lol someone got 49)

damn, i suck :D
dont worry, i know heaps that got way shittier marks than ur 3u. btw, it's only prelims, nothing counts :p

Bricnic

Lookatmy Member
HSC
HamuTarou said:
dont worry, i know heaps that got way shittier marks than ur 3u. btw, it's only prelims, nothing counts :p
Thank god it doesn't count :p Shame that next year's work builds on it though, unlike chemistry/physics where you pretty much get a clean slate.

P

pLuvia

parametrics is year 12 stuff, ive learnt it already its quite confusing

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
parametrics? is it when u express X & Y in another term? I forgot

for 2u, i realli stuffed it. like ALL silly mistakes thru the whole page
but i always get higher in 3u then 2u~ so i donno y. Oo

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
lol, our skool taught us parametrics...really depends on ur skool. i know some skool missed double @ trig but taught series & sequences. same for us except it is parametrics

P

pLuvia

hey hamutaro what does the t stand for?? like what does it mean?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
t is juz an unknown (but changing) number
like we use "x", "y"..etc.etc

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
t is just a representation, it can be changed. (any letter)

say on the parabola x^2=4ay, the parametric form on the point P is (2ap,ap^2). similarly, another point Q (2aq,aq^2). both P & Q lie on the parabola

then using p and q, we can play around and get equation of tangent, normal etc...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Got my results back today and I got 102/120. LoL, I made so many silly mistakes! The top mark was 117/120 with a lot of people between 90-100/120. Our class average (which was the highest class average in the grade I so proudly say) was 88/120 with standard deviation of 19! That's what you get with a semi-selective school! You get all these dumb people who are at the bottom end of the scale and you get all these smart people who are at the top end of scale, with hardly anyone in between! We have a double bell curve happening and we're talking Extension Maths here! Won't be surprised if the standard deviation for the course was like 20-30 lol.

Anyway, I think we might have to learn Parabola and Locus in Year 12, since we spent most of the time going through the exam.

Parametrics? OMG I don't like that topic. I have such long working out for such questions, but then again it's not too bad compared to probability. Probability is what I really suck at. I hate questions which require a moment of thinking which totally distorts my rhythm and speed to suddenly stop and think about how to do a question whereas in most other questions I could do them without stopping to think about it.

Hmmm Year 12. Oh man I so do not want to do all 2 unit, Extension 1 and Extension 2 assessment tasks! It would be so lame if we Extension 2 students had to do 2 unit assessment tasks just in case we drop down to Extension 1, otherwise they won't count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)