maths help (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Re: maths preliminary

So, when people drop 3U math, they can still go to their 2U class. Or so they don't need separate 3U classes for 4U and 2U students. Thats what I reckon. :D

lolokay

HSC

we've done absolute value/inequalities, trig, co-ordinate/plane/circle geometry, functions

Aplus

HSC
N/A

foram said:
So, when people drop 3U math, they can still go to their 2U class. Or so they don't need separate 3U classes for 4U and 2U students. Thats what I reckon. :D
I still think it's better to have separate classes. If you have two classes, wouldn't that mean that some of the people in the 2U class may not be doing 3U? So there might be a variation in student skill level in that class with that kind of mix.

jaychouf4n

HSC

Finishing Ch 10, but we skipped the geometric investigation of the parabola.

I'm guessing to move into integration ASAP and get it stuck into our minds before the exams xD

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: 4 unit maths???????/

I seriously see no loss with doing Extension 2 Mathematics. Even if you drop it, what have you lost? You'd be doing Extension 1 Mathematics, and you'll have the skills acquired in Extension 2 to motivate you.

bubblesss

HSC

Aplus said:
I seriously see no loss with doing Extension 2 Mathematics. Even if you drop it, what have you lost? You'd be doing Extension 1 Mathematics, and you'll have the skills acquired in Extension 2 to motivate you.
thanks

but seriously ca sum1 please tell me y i'm not able to post a new thread.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

bubblesss said:
thanks

but seriously ca sum1 please tell me y i'm not able to post a new thread.
Once you read this, go up to the page and click "General Discussion on the Preliminary HSC". Then you will be able to see "Make a new thread" or something thereabout.

bubblesss

HSC

lyounamu said:
Once you read this, go up to the page and click "General Discussion on the Preliminary HSC". Then you will be able to see "Make a new thread" or something thereabout.

yeh i can now there was just sumthin wrong with my webpage and it was stuffin up. thanks.

bettina44

HSC

ooo can someone tell me if i'm capable of getting a eighty-ninety something mark if i do maths ext 2? i'm ranked 4/55 for maths and 3/15 for maths ext and i got 90% for maths and 85% for maths ext on average

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

bettina44 said:
ooo can someone tell me if i'm capable of getting a eighty-ninety something mark if i do maths ext 2? i'm ranked 4/55 for maths and 3/15 for maths ext and i got 90% for maths and 85% for maths ext on average
Your standings aren't too bad and your marks are pretty top notch. I think with some hard work and a little more study you should be able to see a 80-90 mark for 4U. However, it also depends on the level of difficultly of your exam papers.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

bettina44 said:
According to your marks and ranks it looks like your capable.

bawd

HSC

bubblesss said:
hey guys i need help!1
i'm doing ext maths now and im confused on whether i should pick up ext2 aswell. here r my marks in my midcourse exams

2unit - 85% 3/92
3unit - 72% 4/29

but i didnt really prepare for the exams and i know i could do heaps better.wat should i do???????????
I reckon you can do 4 unit if you can get your 2 unit mark about 95%+, since it is assumed 4 unit students will score 100% in the 2 unit paper. I'd also work on getting my 3 unit paper above the 85% mark, 90% even to be sure. However, your rankings seem pretty good, but you want to be certain of a good mark when sitting the common paper.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC

bettina44 said:
You seem to have the marks for Ext. 2 so I say go for it. Although since you are doing Visual Arts, you should keep in mind Ext. 2 takes up a lot of time as does your Major Work.
The more you like Maths, the better it is for you to do Ext. 2 :)

Edit: Yes, it's most likely that you will get a 89+ UAI if you continue and improve your current marks.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
Just give it a shot, and see how you go. Im pretty sure after the first month or so, you'll be able to work out whether you should stay or not.
But aren't the first few topics pretty simple? Complex numbers = easy according to my sister.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Doctor Jolly said:
But aren't the first few topics pretty simple? Complex numbers = easy according to my sister.
Let's not underestimate. If you are given the hardest type of question from any topic, you won't be able to solve them easily.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

The only topic that I'd say is "easy" (loose definition) is Polynomials to a lesser extent, Complex Numbers + Integration. As long you do homework and put in the effort through past papers and that, you should be fine. But be wary of the amount of time you'd have to dedicate for 4u. Good luck! :)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

Kujah said:
The only topic that I'd say is "easy" (loose definition) is Polynomials to a lesser extent, Complex Numbers + Integration. As long you do homework and put in the effort through past papers and that, you should be fine. But be wary of the amount of time you'd have to dedicate for 4u. Good luck! :)
I'm worried about that. Japanese takes up a lot of time to study for. How shall I make way for 4U maths? :(

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Well, at least try it first. And once you're in it, try to come up with an effective time management plan. But if its becoming increasingly aware to you that the effort and dedication that you have to put in for 4u is having a negative impact on your other subjects, then it might be time for you to consider whether or not it'd be a worthwhile decision to keep it :)

bubblesss

HSC
maths

solve for x.
cos (2x + 60) = 0.5 help needed please. i got only 4 solutions but they are getting 5?????????

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: maths

bubblesss said:
solve for x.
cos (2x + 60) = 0.5 help needed please. i got only 4 solutions but they are getting 5?????????
Depends on the domain given.

But let me assume that it is 0 <= x <= 360 so 0 <= 2x +60 <= 780

cos(2x+60) = 0.5
2x + 60 = 60, 300, 420, 660 and 780
2x = 0, 240, 360, 600 and 720
x = 0, 120, 180, 300 and 360

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)