Maths rorting! (1 Viewer)

ajmason87

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
its more like rocking up for 200 or so however many indicative hours
It doesnt matter if its a billion indicative hours, forced boredom should not even be allowed to benefit the student with some ridiculous doubling of units in a separatee subject

香港!

HSC
if u could get 90 in 3unit, then ur 2unit maths would be mid 90s anyway
if u did 4unit, and neglected the ext. 2, did only ext. 1
u would need to do 2 extra units then, and if you get 90 in that ext 1 maths, you would've done better if u had done 3units anyway...
hope im not too confusing

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
Yeh u are a cock sucking cowboy.... u forget that halfway through the year we get told to make the choice... you take the blue pill and you be a lamo and go good in advanced and do not much work and not push your limits or you take the red pill.. you stay in wonderland and risk not having a 95+ out of one hundred 2unit mark, and you see how far the rabbit hole goes... ill tell you damn it, MECHANICS, CONICS AND THE MOST STUPID INDUCTION THIS SIDE BABYLON!

ajmason87

HSC
香港! said:
if u could get 90 in 3unit, then ur 2unit maths would be mid 90s anyway
if u did 4unit, and neglected the ext. 2, did only ext. 1
u would need to do 2 extra units then, and if you get 90 in that ext 1 maths, you would've done better if u had done 3units anyway...
hope im not too confusing
It is because doing 3U takes up 3 units of UAI contribution (2U+ext1) wheras 4U will take up only 2 units of UAI contribution (ext 1) which is stronger on average. I doubt that 90 in 3U (top 30%) is equivalent to 95 in 2U (top 3%) i think a 2 unit score of 91 (top 10%) is more likely. By this data (using sam with 2004 scaling) the 3U method would yield 126.9 UAI contribution (42.3 per unit) where the 4 unit method without any work going into 4 unit at all ,with the same talent 90 in ext 1. would give 87.8 UAi contribution (43.9 per unit HIGHER). If these were your worst units, u could and would benefit from this, from wat u ppl believe to be an adequate system. If u dont understand, use your 4 unit brains.

klaw

HSC
ajmason87 said:
It is because doing 3U takes up 3 units of UAI contribution (2U+ext1) wheras 4U will take up only 2 units of UAI contribution (ext 1) which is stronger on average. I doubt that 90 in 3U (top 30%) is equivalent to 95 in 2U (top 3%) i think a 2 unit score of 91 (top 10%) is more likely. By this data (using sam with 2004 scaling) the 3U method would yield 126.9 UAI contribution (42.3 per unit) where the 4 unit method without any work going into 4 unit at all ,with the same talent 90 in ext 1. would give 87.8 UAi contribution (43.9 per unit HIGHER). If these were your worst units, u could and would benefit from this, from wat u ppl believe to be an adequate system. If u dont understand, use your 4 unit brains.
I accelerated 2U and 3U maths this year. Everybody in my class who got around 90 for 3U got close to 95 in 2U (±1).

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ajmason87

i think sometimes you completely missunderstand the point of things and reasons behind it.

You jump to irrational conclutions with weak and silly arguments.

A candidate who does 4unit maths does not do the 2unit test but does the 2unit work.

This candidate does 4units worth of work for this subject. Now if this candidate did 2unit they would get 95 + (98 would be very popular).

If anything, it is to their dissadvantage that they get the 3unit test counted towards their UAI as 2units instead of attempting the 2unit test.

A 98 in 2unit is VERY VERY NICE to your uai. That would help them alot more than a 95 in 1unit of 3unit.

So they count the 3unit and 4unit exams as 2units each to even things out (even though really i think any 4unit student would rather do the 2u test aswell and get extremly close to 100)

Again, you got the UAI U DESERVED.
I worked so hard for 4unit so that is what i deserved.
get over yourself.

klaw

HSC
ajmason87 said:
Having done 3U maths this year (2U and ext 1) i was shocked to see that if ext 1 maths had counted for 2 units my UAI would have been in the vicinity of 3 pts higher. Fortunately, this will not mean the difference between getting into a course and failing narrowly. However, i am sure that a handful of students (at least) across NSW would be majorly affected by this flaw. This is a result of 4U students having ext 1 and ext 2 counting for 2 units each. Why the english system of 2U + ext 1 + ext 2 cannot be used is well beyond me, after all a 4u student should be able to blitz the 2U exam and boost its scaling, so as no-effect would be passed on. Having sat in a 3U class with my 4U classmates for the same length of time and completed the same assessments it seem highly unfair that 3U maths should be twice as important for them. As we know the difficulty of subjects should not affect it at all in unit counting, purely time as in 100 or so indicative hours is meant to be the only measure. Is it fair for 4U students to exploit the system in such a way? Perhaps all 4U students should do accelerated 2U maths in year 11? To me it seems that my friends economics should count as 3 units while mine should count as 2 because he does geography, as they are considered different subjects.
The idea of the HSC is to differentiate between students. If 4U students were to do a 2U test, then there will be very little separating the 2U marks of the 4U people. The vast majority of them will get 95-100. If they make the 2U test harder to accommodate for the 4U people, then in the same way the mark range of the people at the bottom scale of 2U maths would not be enough to separate the students effectively. They fix this problem by making 4U count for 2 units and 3U count as 2 units, because it is a more effective way of differentiating the students.

klaw

HSC
haboozin said:
ajmason87

i think sometimes you completely missunderstand the point of things and reasons behind it.

A candidate who does 4unit maths does not do the 2unit test but does the 2unit work.

This candidate does 4units worth of work for this subject. Now if this candidate did 2unit they would get 95 + (98 would be very popular).

If anything, it is to their dissadvantage that they get the 3unit test counted towards their UAI as 2units instead of attempting the 2unit test.

A 98 in 2unit is VERY VERY NICE to your uai. That would help them alot more than a 95 in 1unit of 3unit.

So they count the 3unit and 4unit exams as 2units each to even things out (even though really i think any 4unit student would rather do the 2u test aswell and get extremly close to 100)

get over yourself.
Almost exactly what I was thinking, especially the bold bits.

ajmason87

HSC
haboozin said:
ajmason87

get over yourself.
I really laugh at u when u say u get the UAI u deserve, 60,000+ candidates with different subjects, different schools and different teachers. U get the UAI u deserve, wat a joke, marked to 2 decimal places, haha.

Again i dont care if u worked your ass to the bone it really is irrelevant, i sat in the same classroom as my 4U classmates, for the same amount of periods and did the exact same assessments, since they are suppossed to be independant subjects in their own right, answer this "weak" and "silly" arguement, y should it be doubly important for them? please try and place yourelves in our shoes. Is it because they worked really really really really hard? again everyone is forgetting that the difficulty of a subject is not supposed to determine its unit value, especially if its not even the subject in question.
Maybe if 4U is that much work that ppl cant do 5 2U assessments throughout the year, then maybe people shouldnt have been there clinging on to a subject way out of your league for its ridiculous scaling. After all, they have done the 2U work.

Last edited:

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ajmason87 said:
Maybe if 4U is that much work that ppl cant do 5 2U assessments throughout the year, then maybe people shouldnt have been there clinging on to a subject way out of your league for its ridiculous scaling. After all, they have done the 2U work.
way out of my league?
Not even close.
We could have easily done 5 2U assessments without a worry or any study (i mean seriously -ZERO-). They don't give it to us because its pointless. The 4unit kids will just get close to 100 in every test (with any mistake being calculational error).

The reason 4unit and 3unit exam get counted as 2 units each is that they are taking into account what would happen if they took the 2unit test.

Instead of 1 person getting 100 or like 10 ppl getting 99 in 2unit... do u want that to chage to 1000 people?
Don't you ever want to have a chance of making it in the top 20 for 2unit?
These are some of the reasons why they do it.

This is what i talk about weak and silly arguments, you propose an argument - it gets justified by people then you keep on saying the same thing - instead of challenging their justification.
What makes something right? It is right when the majority think it is the right thing to do.

Have u ever wondered maybe this is why people got better exam marks and uai's than u?

Last edited:

ajmason87

HSC
haboozin said:
way out of my league?
Not even close.
We could have easily done 5 2U assessments without a worry or any study (i mean seriously -ZERO-). They don't give it to us because its pointless. The 4unit kids will just get close to 100 in every test (with any mistake being calculational error).

The reason 4unit and 3unit exam get counted as 2 units each is that they are taking into account what would happen if they took the 2unit test.

Instead of 1 person getting 100 or like 10 ppl getting 99 in 2unit... do u want that to chage to 1000 people?
Don't you ever want to have a chance of making it in the top 20 for 2unit?
These are some of the reasons why they do it.

This is what i talk about weak and silly arguments, you propose an argument - it gets justified by people then you keep on saying the same thing - instead of challenging their justification.
What makes something right? It is right when the majority think it is the right thing to do.

Have u ever wondered maybe this is why people got better exam marks and uai's than u?
I'll tell u wat is silly, the BOS just saying that everyone who does 4U will get band 6 2U, that is an absurd assumption of the highest degree, its because it cant be disproven, but im sure 1 at least of the thousands might have an off day and slip up, so this ridiculous sytem lives on.

Oh and buddy this is the HSC, top 20 and other sentimental reasons should be put aside for integrity.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ajmason87 said:
I'll tell u wat is silly, the BOS just saying that everyone who does 4U will get band 6 2U, that is an absurd assumption of the highest degree, its because it cant be disproven, but im sure 1 at least of the thousands might have an off day and slip up, so this ridiculous sytem lives on.

Oh and buddy this is the HSC, top 20 and other sentimental reasons should be put aside for integrity.

well if u have an "off" day your assessments will still be there for you.

there's almost 3000 that do 4u.

Anyways this is maths - there is no off days, maybe 1 or 2 marks or MAX 10 marks.
Instead of getting 120 they'll get 110 - WOW OMG THEY MIGHT GET 98!!!!! What sin we have done to not let them do the exam.

NO ONE HAS AN OFF DAY WITH 30 MARKS.

Anyways the BOS doesnt say they will get band 6 it says it is likely.
what you "should" have got in 2unit is reflective in what u get in 3unit and 4unit.

seriouisly these are the stupidest comments im hearing from a person. Just let it go.

volition

arr.
HSC
haboozin said:
Get your hands out of your pants. It doesn't matter how good you in particular are at maths, it matters how accessible it is for someone to just 'do 4unit' and be at an advantage because of it. I'll give you an example, at my school, the 4unit kids were forced to do the first one or two "2 unit tests", in case they decided to drop later. So, here is an example of where they "seriously did zero study", and guess what? Most of our 4unit kids went crap, they scored in the 60's,70's and the good ones got in the 80's, while the kids who studied for it got better (in general). How's that close to 100 in every test?

I also know kids who were allowed in to 4unit, who wouldn't get band 6 in 2unit maths. See how easy it is to 'do 4 unit'?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
volition said:
I also know kids who were allowed in to 4unit, who wouldn't get band 6 in 2unit maths. See how easy it is to 'do 4 unit'?
that is your schools fault. If you really get 60's and 70's in 2unit you wont get band 6 (E4) for 3unit and 4unit exams - so it doesn't matter | All is still fair. You still get very low marks that you deserve.

thegangmaster

HSC
haboozin said:
that is your schools fault. If you really get 60's and 70's in 2unit you wont get band 6 (E4) for 3unit and 4unit exams - so it doesn't matter | All is still fair. You still get very low marks that you deserve.
amen to that.

ajmason87

HSC
haboozin said:
Yeah it is his schools fault, but that simply proves that it can and does happen, that ppl can rort their way into this subject, and wrongfully get projected marks of band 6 2U, and more importantly have ext 1 count for 2

Last edited:

thegangmaster

HSC
ajmason87 said:
Yeah it is his schools fault, but that simply proves that it can and does happen, that ppl can rort their way into this subject, and wrongfully get projected marks of band 6 2U.
they will still get shit marks anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)