Maths rorting! (1 Viewer)

lum

HSC
haboozin said:
that is your schools fault. If you really get 60's and 70's in 2unit you wont get band 6 (E4) for 3unit and 4unit exams - so it doesn't matter | All is still fair. You still get very low marks that you deserve.
agreed.

and before you go complaining, if 3unit counted 1 unit, and 2unit counted 2units, that means 4unit only counts for only 1 unit? if you didn't know, i put around 6 times more time into 4unit than 2/3unit combined, and it should only be worth 1 unit?? it's the most time demanding course and one of the hardest ones too.

and if you get 60s/70s in a 2u test, then you'd get shit in your 3u ones. so in the end it doesn't matter, those guys that chose 4u with those marks would only get worse marks than doing 2/3u.

and we'd totally kick 95% of the 2u course ppl, i mean, their paper's, let's say, not challenging.

ajmason87

HSC
ok with all this shit being said about it being super hard and lots of effort, the simple fact is i sat in the same classroom as 4U ppl for the same amount of time!
So dont use this time issue because i did the same as them, same assessments, same classes and for them its worth two. By your logic, they would have to have two times more class time for ext 1 than me, and they didnt.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
ajmason87 said:
ok with all this shit being said about it being super hard and lots of effort, the simple fact is i sat in the same classroom as 4U ppl for the same amount of time!
So dont use this time issue because i did the same as them, same assessments, same classes and for them its worth two. By your logic, they would have to have two times more class time for ext 1 than me, and they didnt.
Then don't blame the course for you doing the same amount of work. Blame your school. The classes are supposed to be separate with different topics (and some common ones).

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ajmason87 said:
Yeah it is his schools fault, but that simply proves that it can and does happen, that ppl can rort their way into this subject, and wrongfully get projected marks of band 6 2U, and more importantly have ext 1 count for 2

you read between the lines - this is why your arguments become week.

i said that even if the school does make the mistake it doesnt matter because they will get shit marks for 3u and 4u and the marks will be shit enough to make the system fair.

lum

HSC
ajmason87 said:

well, since you're so insistent on it, care making a suggestion on how marks should be allocated for a 4u maths student (4u of work)? rather than the bos 2units for 3u and 2units for 4u
with your logic, hell, i wouldn't mind if they counted 3u 1unit and 4u 3units, caz my uai would be higher, but am i crying about it like you? nope.

ajmason87

HSC
Templar said:
Then don't blame the course for you doing the same amount of work. Blame your school. The classes are supposed to be separate with different topics (and some common ones).
It was the same course, the 3 unit one. And they did the other course ext 2 aside from that

ajmason87

HSC
lum said:
well, since you're so insistent on it, care making a suggestion on how marks should be allocated for a 4u maths student (4u of work)? rather than the bos 2units for 3u and 2units for 4u
with your logic, hell, i wouldn't mind if they counted 3u 1unit and 4u 3units, caz my uai would be higher, but am i crying about it like you? nope.
Yeah i do, 2u for 2, since they shud smash it anyway, ext 1 for one, ext 2 for one, and if u arent motivated enuf well u shouldnt do it then, the course itself for my school, 4U took less time than 3 unit anyway

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
ajmason87 said:
And they did the other course ext 2 aside from that
Then why are you complaining about doing the same amount of work?

lum

HSC
ajmason87 said:
Yeah i do, 2u for 2, since they shud smash it anyway, ext 1 for one, ext 2 for one, and if u arent motivated enuf well u shouldnt do it then, the course itself for my school, 4U took less time than 3 unit anyway

4u take less time than 3u? lmao, i didn't do ANY work for 3u, compared to 4u anyways.. :rolleyes: why don't you try looking at the 4u paper?

volition

arr.
HSC
I think what he's trying to say is that because you do 'another subject' (4unit), OTHER subjects shouldn't now count for more than what they normally do (3unit counting for two units), enabling you to get a fatter UAI contribution from those TWO units of '3unit', rather than just the one.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
lum said:
4u take less time than 3u? lmao, i didn't do ANY work for 3u, compared to 4u anyways.. :rolleyes: why don't you try looking at the 4u paper?
dont worry about the guy, he doesn't really understand things or listen to people.
maybe he believes he is superior and justice has not been made by his marks.

volition

arr.
HSC
I doubt that 'looking at the 4u paper' will change things, because difficulty doesn't change anything. I still sat in '3unit class' for the same amount of time, why should somebody who did 4unit be advantaged because of this. I may as well just 'sit in the 4unit' class.

If the school allows me to, then why don't you tell me why I shouldn't have done this? Had I realised this flaw back at the end of year 11, I probably WOULD have 'done 4unit' and just bludged it to get my 3unit mark (45/50) to UNFAIRLY count for TWO units.

thegangmaster

HSC
volition said:
I doubt that 'looking at the 4u paper' will change things, because difficulty doesn't change anything. I still sat in '3unit class' for the same amount of time, why should somebody who did 4unit be advantaged because of this. I may as well just 'sit in the 4unit' class.

If the school allows me to, then why don't you tell me why I shouldn't have done this? Had I realised this flaw back at the end of year 11, I probably WOULD have 'done 4unit' and just bludged it to get my 3unit mark (45/50) to UNFAIRLY count for TWO units.
I played around with SAM about what u said and I found that getting 0 in 4u and having 3u count for 2u is worse then doing well in 2u and getting 90 in 3u.

EXAMPLE 1: Not doing 4u and getting 93+ in 2u

If u did 3u maths, eng adv, phys, chem, eco, got 90 in all
getting 93 in 2u SAM UAI: 97.4
getting 94 in 2u SAM UAI: 97.55
getting 95 in 2u SAM UAI: 97.70

and so on...

EXAMPLE 2: Doing 4u and getting 0, thus 3u counts for 2 units

If u did 4u maths, eng adv, phys, chem, eco, got 90 but 0 in 4u in all
SAM UAI: 97.3

As you can see you will obviously do better if you do well in 2u than just having your 3u mark count for 2 units. If you get a band 6 in 3u you should easily get a higher band 6 in 2u.

ajmason87

HSC
thegangmaster said:
I played around with SAM about what u said and I found that getting 0 in 4u and having 3u count for 2u is worse then doing well in 2u and getting 90 in 3u.

EXAMPLE 1: Not doing 4u and getting 93+ in 2u

If u did 3u maths, eng adv, phys, chem, eco, got 90 in all
getting 93 in 2u SAM UAI: 97.4
getting 94 in 2u SAM UAI: 97.55
getting 95 in 2u SAM UAI: 97.70

and so on...

EXAMPLE 2: Doing 4u and getting 0, thus 3u counts for 2 units

If u did 4u maths, eng adv, phys, chem, eco, got 90 but 0 in 4u in all
SAM UAI: 97.3

As you can see you will obviously do better if you do well in 2u than just having your 3u mark count for 2 units. If you get a band 6 in 3u you should easily get a higher band 6 in 2u.
who says ud get 93+? it was u to prove your point

Last edited:

thegangmaster

HSC
ajmason87 said:
who says ud get 93+? it was u to prove your point
as if u would get 90 in 3u and not get something around that in 2u. If u didn't get 93 in 2u and got lower (still band 6 tho) ur UAI would not be that much lower (around .1 or .2).

klaw

HSC
Why 4U students don't do 2U tests:
klaw said:
The idea of the HSC is to differentiate between students. If 4U students were to do a 2U test, then there will be very little separating the 2U marks of the 4U people. The vast majority of them will get 95-100. If they make the 2U test harder to accommodate for the 4U people, then in the same way the mark range of the people at the bottom scale of 2U maths would not be enough to separate the students effectively. They fix this problem by making 4U count for 2 units and 3U count as 2 units, because it is a more effective way of differentiating the students.
Almost all of the people I know agree that it is easier to get a better mark in 2U than 3U, even after considering scaling. This means that to most students, having 3U and 4U count as 2 units is actually a DISADVANTAGE. Of course, there may be a few exceptions, but the people who are capable of achieving high results in 3U are certainly capable of achieving high results in 2U. If they screw up 2U it is just because of something stupid, e.g. neglecting 2U revision, having an extremely bad day etc. Therefore, it is usually the person's fault/bad luck that causes the bad marks in 2U, which again, means that having 4U and 3U count as 2 units is not an advantage.

Ath

HSC
N/A
Heres the solution people.

4u maths is a more demanding course than both 2u and 3u maths.

Thus a mark over 90 in 4u maths, obviously gives you the evivalent of a 90+ mark in 2u maths.

its not rocket science.

ajmason87

HSC
Ath said:
Heres the solution people.

4u maths is a more demanding course than both 2u and 3u maths.

Thus a mark over 90 in 4u maths, obviously gives you the evivalent of a 90+ mark in 2u maths.

its not rocket science.
Yeah good solution, oh except for those who get less than 90

Ath

HSC
N/A
my bad, yeh im lost

its this idiot gangmaster trying to get me 2 support his crap theory

bag his ass !!!

gangmaster uai of 30.05

thegangmaster

HSC
Ath said:
my bad, yeh im lost

its this idiot gangmaster trying to get me 2 support his crap theory

bag his ass !!!

gangmaster uai of 30.05
the hell? wtf r u on about. I'm the gangmaster, u can't talk to me like that.

This guy looks like he's on drugs or something. Really bitter about his 69.3 UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)