Maths rorting! (1 Viewer)

Ath

HSC
N/A
who r u gonna trust, the n00b wif 13posts (thagangmaster)

or the master wif 26 posts (ath)

IcEy

HSC
Everybody at my school who did 4u, including myself, would have been MORE than happy to take the 2u exam, and have 3u count for 1 unit. I'm positive that most if not all 4u ppl would prefer that, yes I know this has been said before.

At our school, we sat every 2u assessment task up till the trials, where we had to choose between 2u and 4u, so don't say we didn't do the 2u assessments.

thegangmaster

HSC
Ath said:
who r u gonna trust, the n00b wif 13posts (thagangmaster)

or the master wif 26 posts (ath)
o srry man. Step back.

stop spamming and hijacking the thread. Try and stay on topic.

I think the current system now where 4u students don't have to do 2u is good.

Ath

HSC
N/A
yeh man, 4u ppl shudnt have to do the 2u test.

otherwise its lame like in english where u do 3 tests + a major work, this theres no advanatage of doin 4u

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ajmason87 said:
who says ud get 93+? it was u to prove your point
look as u can see someone stuffing up in 4unit (me) got me a 93... in 4unit....
that was my worse performance ever.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
As much as I want to agree with you haboozin and say 93 in ext is easy to obtain even if you screw up, there are people that might try all they can and will still not get Band E4.

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
Heres a thought from your outermetropolin 4U Class of 05 member... at my outer metro school when we had to do 2unit, I wouldnt get the highest mark... i would always press the wrong log button or fail to show to explain that the gradient of two perp lines multiplied is indeed -1. Does that make me crap... hell no because BOS themselves realise that 2unit maths is in most cases irrelevant and has little application to engineering and physical applications of maths. Come on please... do you feel 133T because you can find the y-intercept? However in 3 unit maths where the ideas are slightly more complex and practical... the 4 unit people ripped it because they obviously think on a totally different level. Why should this not be doubled when they would be otherwise spending their time remembering silly formulas that are really not going to help you improve your maths. Incentive is definately the name of the game here. You can fully realise the magnitude of work learned in 4u when universities offer advanced maths that totally jumps first year uni... (at UOW). The reason why you didnt pick 4unit is because you are a lame whinging lazy pratt who needs to get off the forums and get a job in some self grattifying corporation who can put up with your nonsensical opportunism.

philip.watt

Look, heres a thought. The UAI is an indication of what universities (yes, universities, rather than the BOS or your classmates or some idiot in a forum) will think of how useful your marks will be in university. Now the 2u course has a lot of pointless stuff that you can lose marks for as chubbaraff said but in 3u and 4u it gets more lenient on pointless, little things and focuses more on the actual course work, which is harder. Now pick any maths based course at university and think about which will be more useful in determining your eligibility for these courses - the marks you get for writing remembered formulas or the marks for real, complex maths?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I tend to agree with the -3 unit counting for more is stupid- argument.

If a student [A] enrolled in the 4 unit course, and just turned up to his 2 & 3 unit classes, sat the 4 unit paper & went to sleep, but boned the 3 unit exam. [Assuming he's doing 12 units here] Then kid A will get a better UAI than another kid doing 11 units AND turning up to the same classes as kid A.

I see the validity of your argument in this context.

And, assuming that the 3 unit marks for both kids were better than their worst unit otherwise, then kid A gets a higher UAI than kid B. Which is a clear discrepancy for the same amount of work.

I don't see why all you other 4 unit guys can't see that?

[As an aside, I don't care what anyone says about what we COULD have got in 2 unit maths. I got a 97, which is much much shitter than the 99 & 100 I got in 4 & 3 unit]
IcEy said:
I'm positive that most if not all 4u ppl would prefer that, yes I know this has been said before.
Definately NOT ALL.

I would HATE to do that. It's just more places I could lose marks.

Why would you do the 2 unit as well when you could just do 4 & 3 unit and bone them both? 2 unit's too easy, and you'll lose pissweak marks because of it. The easier the test, the harder it is to do well.

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Why would you do the 2 unit as well when you could just do 4 & 3 unit and bone them both? 2 unit's too easy, and you'll lose pissweak marks because of it. The easier the test, the harder it is to do well.
Well said. I doubt I will get 90 if I did 2u, just way too many silly errors.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Templar said:
Well said. I doubt I will get 90 if I did 2u, just way too many silly errors.
But I do have to admit that counting 2 units of 3 unit does place a bias on the system. [As proven above].

Maybe if your 4 unit mark scales worse than your 3 unit your 3 unit should take prescence over 1 unit, and the 4 unit over the rest. And if your 4 unit scales better than your 3 unit you should take 2 units of each.

I mean at least then if you did 4 unit you'd have to try a little.

pasta masta

I totally agree with you there ajmason, you've hit the nail on the head. I understand that if you were to sit in the same class as your 4-unit peers for the extension 1 course and they had it counting for double(which it did) it would be a gross misrepsentation of how the HSC is suppossed to work. I, and having done 4U, know that while 4U was quite difficult it really is not the issue at hand, and my 4U rivals across the state need to view this in a objective manner. It really isnt fair to have certain individuals claim double the unit value of others in 3 unit, simply because they have chosen a subject which exists in its own right. Having completed the 2U course is yr 11, i must ask isnt the 2 unit course just as lengthy as the 4 Unit, if not more?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
pasta masta said:
i must ask isnt the 2 unit course just as lengthy as the 4 Unit, if not more?
Depends what you define as lengthy. There's more you can study for in 4 unit. But there's less topics.

In the HSC for 2 unit, most stuff can be guessed straight away up to question 9, 10 is usually pretty simple too.

But with 4 unit, 1-6 can be guessed FAIRLY well, and 7&8 are completely random. There's MUCH more you can study for in 4 unit.

To be completely prepared for the 4 unit exam you have to know substantially more than if you were completely prepared for the 2 unit exam.

ajmason87

HSC
I think pasta masta is one of few who actually understands the arguement, and for this reason lengthy must mean time spent in school, (indicative hours) sitting in class doing the subject, which is the only factor to be considered

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
But Hello, 4unit is not like another 1 unit subject. Lets say SOR1. You get half the class time of 2u yet the work takes double the time to learn, how are you supposed to manage learning all this content when 2unit is at most part a silly excercise in feel good mathematics... come on if i did it heck i wouldnt probably go that well but its just soo irrelevant after you have done 4unit. This is empericism. Fine if 3unit will not count for 1 unit, the only other way would be to give 4uniters 100 for 2unit, how else are BOS gonna make the likes of aj and the minority position in this forum get of their ass and realise that learning is not about this self gratifying mark assesment ego inflation that they believe. I did 4u and i just missed out on E4, heck all our class got E3 but when i look at them in light of the people who did 2u, they are more mature, have less of an ego, and are more rounded academics, and i dont really care what it takes, counting 3u for 2 is well worth it if it makes more of these students, who obviously exist rarely in 2unit

ajmason87

HSC
Heck! Chubbaraf have u forgotten that using 3u as an incentive to do 4u is downright wrong, and I believe, furthermore, that if you arent willing to study for 4u if it only counts for 1 than u shouldnt be doing it, and after all it's the same for everybody. Everybody will halve their study in that particular subject, unless they forget all about unit weightings, so the issue is not nearly as bad as u r making it out. And even still, anything wud be bettter than the ridiculous bias against 3 Unitters

SeDaTeD

HSC
I like it the way it is. I would've made so many stupid errors in 2unit. Though I do get your point ajmason87.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I do 4u maths and for some reason i haven't gotten 90% or over for 2u this year because of those silly mistakes i make even though i know how to do the questions.

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
MASON STFU... PERIOD, Tell me what are you doing at university next year. Whilst I hear and have no sympathy for your argument you fit the exact picture in my brain of the dumbinb down egotistical loser who did not do 4unit coz they cant handle failure. WELL SCREW YOU AND YOUR MINORITY, before i did for unit i had never gotten less then 90% in a class test in 3u prelim and i would get like 60 and 70 maybe 80 sometimes, it was very good for me, failure and being humble are qualities you obviously dont have because you take the road taken! Well im sick of it, if you had done four unit you would agree with me, but you havent u sat in a three unit class and DID NOT push your limits

ajmason87

HSC
chubbaraff said:
MASON STFU... PERIOD, Tell me what are you doing at university next year. Whilst I hear and have no sympathy for your argument you fit the exact picture in my brain of the dumbinb down egotistical loser who did not do 4unit coz they cant handle failure. WELL SCREW YOU AND YOUR MINORITY, before i did for unit i had never gotten less then 90% in a class test in 3u prelim and i would get like 60 and 70 maybe 80 sometimes, it was very good for me, failure and being humble are qualities you obviously dont have because you take the road taken! Well im sick of it, if you had done four unit you would agree with me, but you havent u sat in a three unit class and DID NOT push your limits

Chubbaraff, I will openly admit getting 81.15 as my UAI, not nearly in the same category as what u have led me to believe u would get, and mostly because i enjoy the subject, politics and journalism at notre dame next year. And in response to "SCREW YOU AND YOUR MINORITY" a ridiculous statement, I believe that my mathematical intelligence was not up to 4U standard, and this is along with the other 57,000 out of 60,000, some minority. Should we be punished further for this? And i will say that my limits were more than tested in 3U, and for u to tell me, keeping in mind that u dont know anything about me, that u are more humble than i am, simply because of your HSC subjects, which could very well be the truth but i doubt it based on your subjective arguement. And you're definately right, had i been in your boat i would of course not have complained, ppl that get the good end of the stick rarely do. I would recieve my overbloated UAI, feel a tad of sympathy for those who could not get their 3U marks doubled cause they didnt sit the same separate course that i did, and chuckle to myself over a rigged system that i have benefitted from. I wonder how many ppl spit the dummy when they get: Bank error in your favor, collect $200.
Again this ridiculous arguement of difficulty of 4U is not and should not be the issue.
Oh, and chubarraf plz support my arguement by telling me your UAI and course for next year, thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)