McDonald's plans to offer PhDs (1 Viewer)

MissSarajevo

HSC
McDonald's plans to offer PhDs as part of training

From correspondents in London
AAP
May 11, 2009 12:07pm

FAST food giant McDonald's is hoping to offer PhDs, after receiving approval to award its own nationally recognised qualifications in Britain, the company's "chief people officer" said.
Speaking to the Financial Times, David Fairhurst said the company's new power to award qualifications made it "a university in its own right", and added that the company wanted to award qualifications equivalent to university degrees.

"One day, I'd love to see us doing a PhD, I definitely think we should go as far as we can," he said.

He cautioned, however, that the company wanted to perfect its current training regimen, which includes courses in shift management that are equivalent in level to high school courses, before putting together a post-graduate qualification.

McDonald's was one of nine employers or employer groups last year that received the power to award qualifications, which Britain wants to encourage so that more workers will have recognised certificates to increase their employability.

The company has long sought to challenge the perception that it only creates low-level, poorly-paid "McJobs".
McDonald's plans to offer PhDs as part of training | Business Breaking News | News.com.au

:haha:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
....this is an insult to everything a doctorate stands for. I can just imagine some burger flipper insisting i call him Dr. because of his doctorate in burgology

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Fuck Mcdonalds. Its shit food anyway

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
It's now a toss up between the University of Sydney

and Macca's on epping road.

:santa:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Not to rain on the parade but it will end up being a PHd in management or something similar, afterall Subway already offers management diplomas...

JUSTINISANGLO

HSC
"McDonald's was one of nine employers or employer groups last year that received the power to award qualifications, which Britain wants to encourage so that more workers will have recognised certificates to increase their employability."

Let's print degrees like fiat currency!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Not to rain on the parade but it will end up being a PHd in management or something similar, afterall Subway already offers management diplomas...
a phD in management? thats almost as rediculous and burgology. Lets just hand out a phD to everyone and make it totaly worthless yay!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
"McDonald's was one of nine employers or employer groups last year that received the power to award qualifications, which Britain wants to encourage so that more workers will have recognised certificates to increase their employability."

Let's print degrees like fiat currency!
a phD in management? thats almost as rediculous and burgology. Lets just hand out a phD to everyone and make it totaly worthless yay!
I think you guys are missing the point here.

It's not as if these PhD's will be held in the same regard as that of a Phd from within the university environment.

It's not as if these qualifications will be dressed on university paper, it'll be pretty obvious where they have come from.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i think its more so claiming or dubbing them to be 'PhD' rather than a simple certificate that's annoying people

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
i think its more so claiming or dubbing them to be 'PhD' rather than a simple certificate that's annoying people
Yeah I know that. But meh, ultimately employers will decide how relevant these kind of qualifications are.

random-1005

Banned
HSC

some of those stupid managers in the stores need an education, i work at a maccas and ive got the highest education in the whole store, i could run the store better than than all the stupid managers combined.

They always seem to run out of stock, and when stuff breaks they dnt fix it (they agrue it is to lower costs), they dnt actually understand that broken equipment results in less efficient workers, and in the long term cost more than fixing it.

Honestly, how hard can working as a maccas manager be, other than the crappy hrs, starting at 5 am (for morning shift) and going home at 11pm (for close shift)

Last edited:
E

Empyrean444

Finally, a degree in the ancient and often neglected art of poisoning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)