Med. and Law (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
I'm wondering which one has the greater workload, full-time law or f.t. med, putting aside the fact that med has an extra year. I thought I'd ask here since UNSW offers both.

(Apologies to people who may find this thread annoying amongst all your more important ones since you've all just got your uni offers and stuff, and congrats too).

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Med is about twice the workload of Law (in terms of hours spent at uni)
for Med, u go in about 30 hours a week, whereas Law is about 15/16 hours a week

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
that's somewhat amusing. what about in terms of the work that you have to do outside of uni? i hear that some law students get themselves in every possible situation which would require them to debate/argue so they could practice that kind of skill. i would imagine medical students would in turn be cramming with a book.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by arielbelle
that's somewhat amusing. what about in terms of the work that you have to do outside of uni? i hear that some law students get themselves in every possible situation which would require them to debate/argue so they could practice that kind of skill. i would imagine medical students would in turn be cramming with a book.
I guess that depends on the student and subject. Some subjects have low contact hours per week, but has the same credit rating as a 'heavy' subject - that sugguests more work is needed for that subject outside of uni.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
what is the normal hour load per week for a science course?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There isn't a normal - each program is different, but you can expect approximately 18-24 hours of contact per week.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I thought that once you get into 3rd or 4th yr of law, your hours per week increases to over 20 per week...

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
heh...no need to wonder..
go do med/law at monash...then tell us which subject has more workload :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
true that, but thats just the tip o' the iceberg. on top of that you have 'self-directed study' outside of normal class times, so in fact the number of hours committed to medicine p/w could be as high as 60.

santaslayer

HSC
jeeeeezzzzz thats crazy man.......no wonder we have a shortage of doctors in australia.....coupled with ridiculous premiums

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
so, there is more work in med, is that right? what about the emotional aspect, wouldn't law be more 'draining'?

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
(this post is just to move the thread forward after it's pushed back two pages and nobody replies).

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by arielbelle
so, there is more work in med, is that right? what about the emotional aspect, wouldn't law be more 'draining'?
i would think both courses would be equally emotionally draining.....but then when it comes to practising ur profession, i would think medicine would be more draining coz it revolves around a human life...i think anyway:)

addz

HSC
if you practice med, there will always be some kind of relationship with patients and thus human life and you probably will need to commit to at least 10 years of study (few years part time once you graduate)

with law, say if you practice criminal law, the workload is quite high (preparation) but then there's a different emotional impact based around the good/bad (morals/ethics).

scandal

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Well thats not what i have been told - a second year med studnet said its about 22-24 hours per week plus independent learning so no not really double

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
it's not 30 hours.. and definitely under 25 (I'm pretty sure it was less than a full-time engineering student last year).

santaslayer

HSC
no way is it less than an enginerring student...
the highest emotionally draining law would be family law simply coz it does not concern money, but the life and emotional wellbeing of the individual/parties involved. eg. adoption laws, surrogacy, honmosexual laws, and custody

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)