Med. and Law (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
what about in terms of reward? i guess if you practice your profession probably, they'd both be rewarding right? although, i tend to think that med would be more so since you can lose court cases in law, whereas incidental mistakes don't happen that often in med. thanx for putting up with me and my incessant questioning, guys.

santaslayer

HSC
med would be more rewarding in terms of well, u saved sum guys ass!
law would be more rewarding in monetary terms full stop...lol, unless ur doing something like family law and u helped a mother fend of the bastard husband with an AVO...lol

on the other hand, the trauma u might recieve from med will prolly always be greater as it involves a human life (although, in some cases , law is similar)

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
no way is it less than an enginerring student...
at UNSW, yes, med is less hours per week than several of the engineering streams. I knew a few ppl doing them (eg telecommunications engineering) and they were doing 25 hours per week. Med was less than that.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
on the other hand, the trauma u might recieve from med will prolly always be greater as it involves a human life (although, in some cases , law is similar)
losing law cases won't give you trauma, but bad records. That is, unless you would be feeling sorry for the person that gets death sentence / long jail sentence.. (even worse if you're on their side)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i don't think the "death sentence" would be much of an issue in Australia :p.....and I wouldn't have any qualms about locking people like Rivkin up for long periods of time either

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
losing law cases won't give you trauma, but bad records. That is, unless you would be feeling sorry for the person that gets death sentence / long jail sentence.. (even worse if you're on their side)
will, yes thats wot i was basically saying, if u know a legal miscarriage has hapopened but was not able to remedy it, then some people would feel bad (not to the extent of trauma maybe) esp if it was a life sentence.:) but becoz OZ dosnt have the death sentence, but in med there is always a "death senetnce" waiting to happen, med profession would be much more emotionally draining

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's why you need a small dose of "professional detachment". A good doctor has compassion but does not become "attached" to their patients to the extent that they suffer excessively if that patient dies. After all, sometimes death is best.

santaslayer

HSC
yea, i agree, but thats always easy to say but hard to do, esp when ur only new to the profession

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i think that was an interesting point you made about a 'death sentence' attached to med santaslayer, although i'm not sure about lexi's 'death is best' statement, considering that you are supposed to 'save lives' in the professsion.
i think one of the reasons i'm slightly biased about law is that often, the cases you get are just absurd. like arguing for a criminal client, who is without doubt the criminal, but you must argue because you're their lawyer, even though it may be against your morals. you may decline the case but being a lawyer, that's what you do, you make a living out of taking on cases. this is always highly debatable, at least in my mind. any other opinions?

santaslayer

HSC
saving lives is da aim of the dotor but sumtimes , when death is inevitable, many people (sometimes even doctors themselves) start advocating for euthanasia as an alternative due to the both physical and mental trauma dat the patient is going thru with no results at all. (the doctor is merely prolonging a fragile life and death will inevitably occur). whether euthanasia should be allowed or not is highly debatable and a very sensitive issue. as for me, i dont know enuff about the pros and cons of euthanasia for me to blindingly put my 2 cents worth.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
some interesting points. let me approach this from another perspective. what are the character distinctions between doctors and lawyers? i.e. what are their beliefs and underlying morals in practicing law/med.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
money, more money, even more money.

i think if you're not a criminal and have good people skills then you can be a lawyer.

for med you need to be HIV negative and have really good empathy skills or something...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
i hope the person starting this isn't choosing med or law based on the number of hours per week

santaslayer

HSC
haha......
lawyers are really actually criminals.......just smart criminals that try and exploit legal loopholes to their clients full advantage.
doctors are compassionate and caring...blah, blah blah....
but at the end of the day, (passion for the job aside), one thing that cant be distinguished from both professions is that they are all in it for the MoNeY!

santaslayer

HSC
family doctors actually earn the most on average in a lifetime.....read previous posts first plz

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
family doctors actually earn the most on average in a lifetime.....read previous posts first plz

my parents are doctors.. and i know tonnes of 'others' and thats not true.. there are tonnes of other professions that earn way more that g.p's.. dermatoligists.. um.. dentists.. the list can go on ;)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
one thing that cant be distinguished from both professions is that they are all in it for the MoNeY!
maybe, but you cant say that for sure these days with doctors, what with the medical indemnity crisis

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i don't think med/law equal money. there are other professions which earn a lot more these days e.g IT and the work and hours required in med/law is a lot more, so with respect to pay, it's not that financially rewarding. one would practice it out of interest and satisfaction more than any other reason really. i'd earn more money buying shares.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)