Medentry . HELP ..~ Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dr.Dan

HSC
I, with some others , were looking at buying the group package and thinking it is $495 in total ( i,e, aprox 200 each) i was in for it , this is med entry btw. I now discovered that the course is $495 per person and my group has fallen apart , has anyone done medentry before? is it worth it?

Liqqeh

HSC
I've been wondering the same thing, I've looked around other forums like medstudentsonline and stuff and from what I've read it all depends how well the person uses the preparation material. They give advice and practice papers and such, so I figure it'll help a lot, but if anyone has done it before, could you explain it a bit?

ssglain

HSC
I agree, the effectiveness of any preparation material depends on how well it is used by the individual. Because UMAT isn't based on any set content, the only thing that you can do in preparation is to familiarise yourself with the format. I personally don't think it is necessary to purchase anything in addition to the practice questions published by ACER. If you have spare cash, by all means go for it because it's not a bad idea to make sure that you have access to as wide a range of available resources as possible.

Danger

HSC
Well I have bought the distance prep course (which is the exact same course you're after but without the 2 workshops) and they include 10 full exam papers, 1000s of drills, solutions to the ACER papers, Eureka (which is a program that generates unlimited questions on Section 3 of the UMAT), forum access, general UMAT guides, interview guide. Personally, I bought it so I could put it to practice well before the UMAT, but I have changed my mind about getting into medicine and am wanting to get rid of it now. I paid $400, so if anyone wants to make an offer, go ahead :D

Dr.Dan

HSC
ssglain said:
I agree, the effectiveness of any preparation material depends on how well it is used by the individual. Because UMAT isn't based on any set content, the only thing that you can do in preparation is to familiarise yourself with the format. I personally don't think it is necessary to purchase anything in addition to the practice questions published by ACER. If you have spare cash, by all means go for it because it's not a bad idea to make sure that you have access to as wide a range of available resources as possible.

Hey ... howd u do in the umat?? and how much are your tution fees? also... did u do medentry??

ssglain

HSC
Dr.Dan said:
Hey ... howd u do in the umat?? and how much are your tution fees? also... did u do medentry??
I got a total raw mark of 183. I'd say I did alright in the UMAT without having done any prep courses. I submitted MBBS applications to UNSW and UWS, and received interview invitations from both, although I'm sure a high predicted UAI had also helped. I did get dragged along by a friend to a UMAT 'mock trial' that was held by F2F and costed me $90. To be truthful, I personally didn't find it to be of much assistance, but that's not to say that it wasn't for others. The friend I mentioned had done a course with F2F and got the same mark as me in UMAT. Other friends who did courses with MedEntry/F2F/Icarus/etc. had got anywhere from 150 to 200+, so again, I think the effectiveness of any prep course depends on the individual.

Now, I take from the present tense of "how much are your tuition fees" that you're referring to the advertisement in my signature? I currently charge $35/hr for Yr 11-12, but I'm not tutoring for the money so the price is negotiable depending on your circumstances. Students have been paying me whatever suits their budget (or conscience) and I'm perfectly happy with that. I had led weekly maths workshops at my school totally free of charge throughout Yr 11 because I just enjoy sharing my knowledge and helping people to bring out their academic potential. If you'd like more information, PM me or ask me on MSN because I don't think the mods will like it too much here. :)

Season

HSC
I did medentry, and I do recommend it, but I'm pretty sure there are people out there who did use medentry and still didn't do that well... so it depends.

I do think it is helpful to familarise yourself with some of the questions, I know some of the questions (about 3) on the actual UMAT were the same ones from the course... I was like SCORE free answer :). However that said, the reason my score was jacked up was because I did really well on section two (98%) and that pulled me up. I didn't work on section two whatsoever though... just me...

I got 175... I would have liked 180+, but never the less I have two interviews :)

but actually use it, and start using it early too, because as soon as year 12 really starts going you will have no spare time

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Ill be the hallf of shame in medentry.
I went to medentry. 500 bucks as a group. I finished all the drills and practice exams. It HELPS! But on the day i stuffed up and got 133/300 raw. Which puts me in the bottom 23% of the state.

Lots of my friends who didnt do medentry got higher than me. But i think i might have done screwed up even without medentry anyways. Dont take it thinking you will get garuanteed good marks, because that requires lots of work.

I got a predicted uai of 98+ but my Umat mark doesnt qualify me of any medical course whatsoever. But i would recommend it for those willing to boost their marks, but for me however i wouldn't want to go back.

Dr.Dan

HSC
yea it did . i may skip umat completely . its pretty damn expensive. like $200. And if i really do want to try to do it then i might just apply postgrad or something. Oh well. too many hastles during the year to worry bout it i reckon.

undalay

HSC
Dr.Dan said:
yea it did . i may skip umat completely . its pretty damn expensive. like $200. And if i really do want to try to do it then i might just apply postgrad or something. Oh well. too many hastles during the year to worry bout it i reckon.
You'd need to do GAMSAT then, don't you? I'd think it would cost money too.

Black Hawker

HSC
Dr.Dan said:
It's $70 for some people.

UMAT Website said:
If you have a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card (both issued by Centrelink), or are listed as a dependant on the current Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card of a parent or guardian.
That's why I'm just going to go for it without going to any courses. If I get in, then I get more options for my career choice. If not then I'll still be happy.

dooopy

HSC
trust me its good, i am using it now BUT the practice exams can only be done once!

Marinababy

HSC
N/A
I did medentry with 2 friends and we all blew it. This year we are doing icarus and after reading the SOMEL files I pity anyone who isn't doing icarus.
we got ripped paying for medentry copied questions last year thinking they were original??? Read the SOMEL files and you will know what I mean.

good luck to you all anyway and med students have told me not to be scared of dallas as he is all hot air and tries to make everyone do a shitload of homework to get them a great umat score.

M

Season said:
I did medentry, and I do recommend it, but I'm pretty sure there are people out there who did use medentry and still didn't do that well... so it depends.

I do think it is helpful to familarise yourself with some of the questions, I know some of the questions (about 3) on the actual UMAT were the same ones from the course... I was like SCORE free answer :). However that said, the reason my score was jacked up was because I did really well on section two (98%) and that pulled me up. I didn't work on section two whatsoever though... just me...

I got 175... I would have liked 180+, but never the less I have two interviews :)

but actually use it, and start using it early too, because as soon as year 12 really starts going you will have no spare time

Marinababy

HSC
N/A
Not good enough for me and 2 friends last year - the practise exams can only be used once -we are all on icarus this year and the practise exams can be used as many times as you want but i reckon not to go over them a lot as this might give you a false sense of security just knowing the same answers

M

dooopy said:
trust me its good, i am using it now BUT the practice exams can only be done once!

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Marinababy said:
I did medentry with 2 friends and we all blew it. This year we are doing icarus and after reading the SOMEL files I pity anyone who isn't doing icarus.
we got ripped paying for medentry copied questions last year thinking they were original??? Read the SOMEL files and you will know what I mean.

good luck to you all anyway and med students have told me not to be scared of dallas as he is all hot air and tries to make everyone do a shitload of homework to get them a great umat score.

M
WTF are the SOMEL files? And you sound like your sent from Icarus to advertise their shit.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
markzada said:
And you sound like your sent from Icarus to advertise their shit.
They almost certainly are considering that all bar one of their posts are aimed at bad mouthing MedEntry and/or saying how good Icarus is. (And that one non-UMAT post was a very poor attempt at one...)

Btw DO NOT do Icarus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)