Medical science in uni? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi guys :)
i have been browsing around forums and reading comments and all and i realised that alot of people want to do medical science in uni. :O
i want to do medical science too! :jaw:
n i was like OMG! i have a serious competition when i do my HSC (2010). LOL!:lol:

Anyways, i posted this thread to unite people like me that aims to get into a mediacl science course in uni :cool:

Well guys, feel free to share anything you like (but no spams)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Good, nice to see someone going for MedSc because of interest.

Have you been to any of the Open days? Why in particular have you decided to go for USyd?

Babbu

HSC
More people want to go to medicine for money. Definitely true.

Many are pushed towards it by their parents who themselves know nothing at all about education. They see that this is the course with highest UAI and that's it. We want this as it must be cool.

Even students who love "intelligent subjects" like maths and physics (and even hate biology) end up doing medicine as it is more "prestigious". What a joke!!!! Are they dumb or something? Copying others all the time.
They will do anything to get into Med - act like a leader at school, pretend to be helpful, impress the teachers...gosh. But no real thirst for knowledge. No love for 4 Unit Maths but they use this high scaling subject to get into Med.
They study Economics but do Med
Study history - do med
Hate Biology - do Med
Hate Chem - do med

No brain copy cats!!! They just want to "BELONG"

On the other hand, really intellectual fields like Electrical Engineering, Space engineering, Mechatronics, even Advanced Sciences are not much sought after simply because of this rat race of Medicine. Or is it that these brainwashed copy-cats are not confident of completing these actually tough courses like Elec Eng?

No one loves real science as Australia just loves anything that makes money for them - be it plumbing or refined plumbing, that is dentistry. They may hate putting their hands inside someone's smelly mouth or smelly intestine but will do medicine.
They may have no love for the poor and needy but pretend in thier interviews.
They may no hesitate killing (and eating) all sorts of animals - baby chickens, hens, poor lambs.
Eat animal flesh and bones - cure human flesh and bones.
What kindness there? Hypocrisy, is it not?

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Good, nice to see someone going for MedSc because of interest.

Have you been to any of the Open days? Why in particular have you decided to go for USyd?
Heyys :)
No, i havent but i'll go next year. USYD, because it's the best uni =D
Are you by any chance, studying MedSc?

piitb

HSC
notice how B.Science degrees are now pretty much extinct. You need the word "medical" in the degree to make it more sexy.

lionking1191

HSC
Babbu said:
More people want to go to medicine for money. Definitely true.

Many are pushed towards it by their parents who themselves know nothing at all about education. They see that this is the course with highest UAI and that's it. We want this as it must be cool.

Even students who love "intelligent subjects" like maths and physics (and even hate biology) end up doing medicine as it is more "prestigious". What a joke!!!! Are they dumb or something? Copying others all the time.
They will do anything to get into Med - act like a leader at school, pretend to be helpful, impress the teachers...gosh. But no real thirst for knowledge. No love for 4 Unit Maths but they use this high scaling subject to get into Med.
Study history - do med
Hate Biology - do Med
Hate Chem - do med

No brain copy cats!!! They just want to "BELONG"

On the other hand, really intellectual fields like Electrical Engineering, Space engineering, Mechatronics, even Advanced Sciences are not much sought after simply because of this rat race of Medicine. Or is it that these brainwashed copy-cats are not confident of completing these actually tough courses like Elec Eng?

No one loves real science as Australia just loves anything that makes money for them - be it plumbing or refined plumbing, that is dentistry. They may hate putting their hands inside someone's smelly mouth or smelly intestine but will do medicine.
They may have no love for the poor and needy but pretend in thier interviews.
They may no hesitate killing (and eating) all sorts of animals - baby chickens, hens, poor lambs.
Eat animal flesh and bones - cure human flesh and bones.
What kindness there? Hypocrisy, is it not?
well i sure hope you aren't doing law or med - careers of which requires logical reasoning, well thought-out positions of argument with evidence to back up.

firstly, how do you know most people do it for the money? sure, there's the stereotypical asian parents who wants their kid to do med but MOST? did you run around asking every single highschool student if and why they wanted to do med?

secondly you are technically wrong. medicine does not have the highest uai - disregarding provisional entries (eg USYD) law at USYD has a requirement of 99.55 which is higher than the median for entry at UNSW which is not even solely based on uai (btw interview and umat are there to screen out precisely the types which you ranted about)

thirdly "intelligent subjects" like maths or science? i'm sorry but are you suggesting these are the only intellectually stimulating courses available? and 'really intellectual fields like engineering'? ignorance aside i find your judgment of a career's worth laughable. just because it is science related does not mean it is in anyway, intellectually or otherwise, superior to other fields such as commerce, health, arts, the trades or education.

edit- more goodies found: are you suggesting that med is an 'easy degree' compared to 'intellectual fields' such as 'elec engineering'? when you argue a point, do backup with evidence and NEVER rant about something you have no clue about. to start with, discussing the 'difficulty' of an uni degree is always tricky as it is often too subjective to reach a common census. however i can assure you that the MBBS program is one of the grueling tertiary programs out there as it not only involves pure theory but also patient contact, problem-based learning as well as a heavy emphasis on independent learning. added to that med is not a 'rat career' which provides an easy road to fast cash but rather a life-long commitment to learning and training. do elec. engineers have to complete 3-6 years of post-graduate training? do they have to work for up to 80 hrs a week during their intern years? i understand that you are after all, in y11, but its best to have access to all possible sources of information before you make any judgment.

coming to my fouth point - this is for you. high school subjects are not an indication of future career path, but rather, provide a base knowledge upon which you can further develop and experiment with different possibilities for the future. there is nothing wrong with people who didn't do chem or did history but wanted to do med.

lastly, if you really are convinced that most people are kind and leaders out of only hypocrisy then i really do feel sorry for you.

piitb said:
notice how B.Science degrees are now pretty much extinct. You need the word "medical" in the degree to make it more sexy.
? plenty of people do B. Science or B. Adv. Science, not everyone wants to work in the medical field

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
Babbu said:
Study history - do med
Hate Biology - do Med
Hate Chem - do med
Are you retarded? Do you know any of the content in the med degree? Hate biology and do med, maybe because they hate everything except human biology and anatomy which is the only biology that matters for med? Of course not hating the yr 12 biology syllabus and hating all of biology is completely the same.

Do maths and physics and end up doing medicine. I think you might need a psychiatrist because physics and maths are used in medicine and the problem solving skills acquired are extremely helpful.

Study Economics and do med. Totally man how the fuck can one person be interested in two different fields.

Hate Chem and do med, yeah see biology statement and chemistry is a very small part of medicine but hey you are doing hsc next year you obviously know about the content of the medicine course.

Courses like space engineering aren't sought after? Might want to get an MRI of your brain because last i checked rocket science is high 99 at usyd and adv science is close to that as well (since you are stupid ill tell you that uai is based on demand)

And exactly why do you care if fields are sought after or not? IF you are in the field and its not sought after by many students that means that employers will want you more, which is a good thing.

But no, hate on the med hopefuls because they are smarter than you and want to spend their life helping people. Even if their motives aren't pure the fact that they are in the field means that they will do good and help people otherwise they wouldn't have a job, its not really any of your concern why they want to do medicine be it for money or any other reason.

Now go back under the rock you crawled out from until you get a brain that can comprehend basic logic.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
doink said:
Totally man how the fuck can one person be interested in two different fields.
Down with liberal programs of study!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yes you can be interested in two fields and eventually study medicine, just look at Kfunk's sig, also you could do an undergrad degree in an area of interest.

Usyd is trying to encourage students from other fields to study med, they have a B.Commerce/MBBS and an Engineering/MBBS program now.

Awesomeness... said:
Heyys :)
No, i havent but i'll go next year. USYD, because it's the best uni =D
Are you by any chance, studying MedSc?
ANU is Australia's best uni, followed by Melbourne and then Usyd.

Medicine does have the highest entry, factoring in provisional placements of 99.90 for U.Melb and 99.95 at Usyd.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
hahaha oh no

is my degree redundant??? i'm studying two different fields ... how can i possibly be interested in both simultaneously?

i love the colour grey.

Babbu

HSC
but still...what I wrote is based on wide research at an institute that produces maximum medicos :)

most people have no idea what they are doing. they just know they want the most prestigious course. If say tomorrow some other course becomes more prestigious, then they all will start doing that but not essentially for the love of that subject.

lionking1191

HSC
Babbu said:
but still...what I wrote is based on wide research at an institute that produces maximum medicos :)

most people have no idea what they are doing. they just know they want the most prestigious course. If say tomorrow some other course becomes more prestigious, then they all will start doing that but not essentially for the love of that subject.
i have no problem with what you are saying, its definitely true - it'd be naieve to think otherwise. i do however object to the 'most' bit tho.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
My sister was offered a scholarship to do honours in MedSci at USyd and turned it down. Yes, you read correctly, she REJECTED SYDNEY. Apparently their lab facilities were crap for the particular project that was offered. She has just completed honours at Mac and is about to start her Phd there too.

Where did she do her undergrad? UWS. Graduated with distinction too. So she is proof you can do fucking well without being at a 'prestigious' uni. She's also just been published for the first time (along with other authors of course) in a journal.

Go to the uni which is best for the school or course you'll be studying in, not for the brand name.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)