Medicine in 2009 (1 Viewer)

yorkstanham

HSC
Hey, just wondering who is interested in doing med in 09?
What uni you are most intereted in and if you will be doing any umat prep courses, last but not least what subjects are you doin in yr 12.

I am interested in doing med at UNSW next year and I am doing the medentry prep course.

My subjects are:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext 1, Ext 2 Maths
Adv English

I know there are a lot of questions but im bored and interested to see others' thoughts

thanks

Zephyrio

HSC
I'm interested in doing medicine at UNSW. Med/arts. And yeah I'm doing medentry too! lol

My subjects are:
4U English
3U Maths
3U History
2U Chemistry

I'm not big on the HSC science syllabi. But I do chem because I like it.

God, I hope I make it into med.

acehigh16123456

HSC
i really want to get into medicine but its like super hard to get top in everything. i do

chem - preliminary score 65%
bio - prelim score 85%
senior science- prelim score 89%
adv english - prelim score 82%
2u maths- prelim score 77%
pdhpe - prelim score 85%

im doin around 80's average except i really need to pick up in maths and chem. but in order to do medicine u need like a UAI of around 95 and get near full marks in the UMAT and then even if u do good at that you still need to pass an interview. im undecided whether i will go full out this yr and spend a fortune to do the UMAT and a prep course or maybe i can do the best i can now and try and go for medicine as a graduate course in stead of undergraduate.

what do u guys think?

Zephyrio

HSC
soylicious said:
im doing

ESL
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths+Ext1

is it impossible to get into unsw if i do esl?:(
I think the minimum required for med at UNSW is standard English.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Yeah, you CAN do ESL and get in but you may be "at a considerable disadvantage". "English as a Second Language (ESL) and Fundamentals of English are not considered sufficient preparation for the Medicine Program but, as stated above, will not prevent a student from enrolling in the Medicine Program."

loser101

HSC
acehigh16123456 said:
i really want to get into medicine but its like super hard to get top in everything. i do

chem - preliminary score 65%
bio - prelim score 85%
senior science- prelim score 89%
adv english - prelim score 82%
2u maths- prelim score 77%
pdhpe - prelim score 85%

im doin around 80's average except i really need to pick up in maths and chem. but in order to do medicine u need like a UAI of around 95 and get near full marks in the UMAT and then even if u do good at that you still need to pass an interview. im undecided whether i will go full out this yr and spend a fortune to do the UMAT and a prep course or maybe i can do the best i can now and try and go for medicine as a graduate course in stead of undergraduate.

what do u guys think?
u struggle to get uai of 85.

groovydude

HSC
hey guysm

would it be a better option to wait an extra year(ie gap year) and do the umat again after year12?

say i do the umat this year and do bad, but get a kickass TER...would it be better to do it again without entering uni?

cheers

Razzah

HSC
Lookin' to get into MBBS at either UNSW or Monash, but we'll see how things go.

Are the MedEntry courses good? I'm planning on doing one thats coming to Canberra soon.

My subjects are the Curry Standard (I'm Curry):

Advanced English
Maths Extension 1 + Extension 2
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

See you all there (hopefully)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
hmm yeh i wanna do med science at either usyd or uws

my subs are

biology
stnd eng
gen maths
ipt
agriculture
earth science

would i still be able to get in?
i emailed the unis and they said i'd have to do bridging courses....are they any help?

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
groovydude said:
hey guysm

would it be a better option to wait an extra year(ie gap year) and do the umat again after year12?

say i do the umat this year and do bad, but get a kickass TER...would it be better to do it again without entering uni?

cheers
Depends on what your definition of kickass is and what your definition of bad is - and also what uni you want to get into.

groovydude

HSC
well say i get a uai of <99 or equivalent..and i do alrite in the umat but not enough to get me a spot. Would it be abetter option to skip a year?

i heard if u do a course, u have a tertiary record which makes it worse somehow....

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
It's up to you - a lot of people do each of those options (gap year or start a course). The only place where I think it would disadvantage you majorly would be UNSW cos they use 50/50 GPA, UAI so it's hard to maintain a high UAI. (Although I read somewhere they may be changing this in the future...not too sure about that). Also you can't apply for Monash cos they only take school leavers.

HSC
N/A
Yea im planning to study med in 2009

Im doing BA nursing external at CDU

Im going to try and gaing entry to Newcastle Uni Med they want close to a credit average so im aming for D -HD average the course i did to gain entry to uni i got HD average so i hope i will get in

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
tamzof@mac.com said:
Yea im planning to study med in 2009

Im doing BA nursing external at CDU

Im going to try and gaing entry to Newcastle Uni Med they want close to a credit average so im aming for D -HD average the course i did to gain entry to uni i got HD average so i hope i will get in
Hmm, you should have considered moving to Newcastle and studying a BA there because all students at UNCLE that are med applicants are counted as locals and thus have lower UAI/equiv and umat cut-offs. Credit avg 5.5 is a hurdle once you pass that all that comes into consideration is umat.

Have you sat the umat yet?

Last edited:

.blank

HSC
N/A
Just a question: what non-academic things do you need to do (e.g leadership, sports) to get into med? Are you at a disadvantage if you aren't a prefect and haven't represented your school in any sport? I'm looking at Usyd (combined med) but I'd appreciate UNSW info as well.

HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Hmm, you should have considered moving to Newcastle and studying a BA there because all students at UNCLE that are med applicants are counted as locals and thus have lower UAI/equiv and umat cut-offs. Credit avg 5.5 is a hurdle once you pass that all that comes into consideration is umat.

Have you sat the umat yet?
I already live in the area. its about 40min to the main campus and 10min to orimbah campus. i did consider doing the BA NURSING their but the course has a bad rep and its not external so went with CDU

No i haven sat the UMAT yet this year is the first try

Season

HSC
.blank said:
Just a question: what non-academic things do you need to do (e.g leadership, sports) to get into med? Are you at a disadvantage if you aren't a prefect and haven't represented your school in any sport? I'm looking at Usyd (combined med) but I'd appreciate UNSW info as well.
LOL

I never EVER got into sports at school, apart from swimming carnivals where "particpation" matters. I once tried waterpolo and almost drowned.

That said I got heavily involved in dancing, volunteering, extra-cocurriculars, school activities and stuff.

Do something, they are looking that you have something on your record apart from the dazzling scores that got you an interview.

runningforagoal

HSC
N/A
I'd like to get into B Med at UNSW.
I am going to order practice umat booklets for preparation and
will seek advice for interviews and the umat test from a current
undergraduate med student who happens to live near by :)

My subjects are English adv
Maths ext 1,2
Biology
Chemistry

I'm worried because I didn't do as well as I would have liked for term 1 assessments, but my prelim marks were good.
I am aiming for UAI 99+... impossible or not ..still aiming high..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)