Memorising/Copying Other Peoples Essays (1 Viewer)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Each HSC there are very few people who get caught for plagiarism. irrc around <50. But the question is whether you want to risk it.
what about for school assessments, it is so easy to get away with it at many schools

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
what about for school assessments, it is so easy to get away with it at many schools
yea you could. I don't know about you, but I find things easier to remember that are written by myself.

also when HSC comes around, watcha gonna do. probs get a better mark, continuously refining ur essay thruout the year.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say for the most part I'm against memorising/copying different people essays. However, I guess if its an inclass task or external Hsc task and you have permission from the person who wrote the essay it isn't quite as bad.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Rote learning isn't much of a problem. If one doesn't understand the concept no matter how much they try to understand (e.g. black body in physics for me) the only possible way to be successful in the exam is memorizing.

Plagiarism on the other hand, is a bitch. And yeah as oblivious said in uni you're pretty much screwed, as you haven't built up on the skills required for uni.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Rote learning isn't much of a problem. If one doesn't understand the concept no matter how much they try to understand (e.g. black body in physics for me) the only possible way to be successful in the exam is memorizing.

Plagiarism on the other hand, is a bitch. And yeah as oblivious said in uni you're pretty much screwed, as you haven't built up on the skills required for uni.
Rote learning I assumed was pure memorising , often without any clear understanding or relationship.

This is the case with many definitions online, so rote learning is a problem.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Rote learning I assumed was pure memorising , often without any clear understanding or relationship.

This is the case with many definitions online, so rote learning is a problem.
True, but who would be foolish enough to rely on pure memorization?
I doubt it'd be a superior way than to understanding the concepts. Wouldn't get you a higher mark for sure.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt it'd be a superior way than to understanding the concepts. Wouldn't get you a higher mark for sure.
True that too.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
The way the Board of Studies has made the syllabus and chosen the content we learn make it uber easy get good marks through rote learning because understanding isnt always assessed in unconventional manners therefore allowing for preparation through memorisation because you know what to expect. They need to throw more curve balls in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
The way the Board of Studies has made the syllabus and chosen the content we learn make it uber easy get good marks through rote learning because understanding isnt always assessed in unconventional manners therefore allowing for preparation through memorisation because you know what to expect. They need to throw more curve balls in.

The HSC exam trend is heading more towards understanding the concepts. The chem/phy/3u maths/4u this year all required concepts to be learnt not just rote learnt. And in the past few years for english exams, they started to specify 1 or 2 poems to be used in the essay out of the 7 (speeches module B). They also specify how many related texts are to be used. significantly reducing the need to rely on rote learning.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol not that i give a sh*t anymore :p No more HSC for me!

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
My friend didn't read/watch/do anything with his related material for belonging. He relied on sheer tutoring and essay memorisation and got a band 6.

How? I don't know.

edit: he's doing adv/ext eng

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
My friend didn't read/watch/do anything with his related material for belonging. He relied on sheer tutoring and essay memorisation and got a band 6.

How? I don't know.

edit: he's doing adv/ext eng
Well that's because it's so easy to just prepare for many of the essay questions and memorise a generic essay that someone else prepared. The fact that people are able to achieve a Band 6 without actually even reading their texts goes to show the flaws in the system.

williamdaft

HSC
Well that's because it's so easy to just prepare for many of the essay questions and memorise a generic essay that someone else prepared. The fact that people are able to achieve a Band 6 without actually even reading their texts goes to show the flaws in the system.

^SO true!

thesecastlewalls

HSC
I completely agree with you! Does anyone out there think it's a good idea to publish creative writing pieces and essays, perhaps on a blog? Maybe computer-based plagiarism tests done by the Marking Centre can pick out some thieves of intellectual property out there ...

Bumbletiger

HSC
I'm not gonna lie..I have pulled band 6's in EngAdv/Ext without having read the prescribed text on multiple occasions. Collating ideas, evidence, techniques etc from other responses & sources, writing up a piece & then memorising it and then moulding it to fit the question if necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)