• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memorising Essays (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Just one thing I noticed about Foram's essay. Every single paragraph ends with, "Therefore, the concept of Journeys should be retained in the Year 12 Curriculum."

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Just one thing I noticed about Foram's essay. Every single paragraph ends with, "Therefore, the concept of Journeys should be retained in the Year 12 Curriculum."
Foram, you do know that when they say: "Link back to the thesis whenever possible", they don't mean, repeat the thesis, word for word.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Foram, you do know that when they say: "Link back to the thesis whenever possible", they don't mean, repeat the thesis, word for word.
I didn't know that. :( I'll know what not to do for my next essay now. :D

Thankyou bored of sc, your comments were very helpful. :D

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
i memorise essays by reading a paragraph, and then sleeping. while you are still awake, repeat the paragraph seven times to yourself, and whne you fall asleep, it should be reverberating at the back of your head. you will then remember it by the time you are awake.

another way is to type it up three times all over again or hand write it

but i find that hightlighting important points in it is the easiest. just keep staring at the essay for a very long time and you shall remember it

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well you shouldn't be memorising essays in the first place.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
yeah i dont either my teachers have told me not to do it because it can be a waste if your essay does not relate when you get in there and apparently markers can tell a mile away.
I think that you should just know all your quotes techniques and the effect.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
agua.fuego said:
It does kind of distract you having a speech about Lady Macbeth nattering in your ears all night. But I sleep with music anyway (I am strange) so it didn't do too much. It actually does work though. It surprised me how much. And just having it on at random intervals during the day, I knew my entire speech off by heart. I didn't have an excuse to hide behind my brightly coloured palm cards, that's all.
Tonight I shall test it with my Economics essay to memorise :).

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
aw, then how are you suppose to link it back to the thesis?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
aw, then how are you suppose to link it back to the thesis?
At worst, you paraphrase your thesis, or say it in a different order. Better students will use synonyms. The best students will find a better way of doing it, by referring to the thesis, without using too many words from the thesis. I really dunno how to explain it. =\

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
You do Extension English and you don't know how to do this? lol
Ah well ... :D

I owned last years essays, but I think Prelim essays demand a little more sophisication than the little easy peasy year 10 ones.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
A more effective method would be understanding, rather than memorising.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Memorising:
this is what i do: read it outloud while passing. read each sentence about 5 times, once you finish a paragraph reread it thro (not repeating this time). then have someone look at it while u say it.

but if you cant memorise word-for-word write out a structure with dot points and remember how many paragraphs you have so while writing you can tick them off in your head - so you dont forget any.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
This is bizarre, why are all you people trying to memorise your essays? I have never done that and I receive very good marks. I've noticed those who choose to memorise rarely receive marks in the higher bands of assessment (then whine about how much English sucks on the BOS site, lol). Just try to understand the concepts behing your texts, and how to look beneath the surface and analyse things. I know it's a heap of bullshit, but you have to do it. :) It can't require than much more effort than memorising an entire essay, lol...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
I DID THE HSC A LONG TIME AGO.

DO NOT MEMORISE YOUR ESSAYS.

IT'LL ONLY CAUSE ISSUES FOR MARKS AND HAVE YOU ANSWERING THE WRONG QUESTIONS. IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WILL BE STRUCK DOWN WITH AIDS.
I have to reluctantly agree or no band 5 or 6.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I reckon it would be smart [ if possible] to memorise like 3 or 4 essays (ones that are completely contrasting in question from same AOS or module) and then adapt the one which is closest to the HSC question?

There is definite consistency between question, year to year. so why not?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
I DID THE HSC A LONG TIME AGO.

DO NOT MEMORISE YOUR ESSAYS.

IT'LL ONLY CAUSE ISSUES FOR MARKS AND HAVE YOU ANSWERING THE WRONG QUESTIONS. IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WILL BE STRUCK DOWN WITH AIDS.
Generic essays aren't bad if they're flexible enough to be adapted to lots of questions.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Generic essays aren't bad if they're flexible enough to be adapted to lots of questions.
Yeah. +1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)