Memorising Essays (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
How do i memorise essays? I've tried to memorise my essay, but i can't... :( I need to memorise it for tomorrow! Any tips on memorising it please? It's 900 words.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Memorise topic sentences, quotes and arguments. Then you should be able to write the essay naturally.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You can try singing it out loud. That might help. But i just memorize the introduction, the quotes and conclusion and memorize the main points in the body paragraph because memorizing the whole essay is too much for me.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
don't memorise essays - despite what people say, its not the best way to go about it. (i'm assuming we're talking about english)

rather, know some key points that you would like to discuss in an essay really well, and then mould these discussion points to the question you get.

if we're talking about some other subject (eco, legal) - then the best way to memorise is to keep reading it to yourself whilst pacing.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
i found out that you cant memorise every word, especially in the last minute.
SO
i suggest to you, memorise your intro and conclusion as best you can and with the body, just memorise the key sentence of each paragraph.

Muz4PM

HSC
Bascially remember the first sentence of each paragraph word for word then from there just memorise key points of each paragraph. Then, once you have created these notes, walk around and say out loud what you would write in a real essay. Repeat that until you are comfortable and don't need your notes. It has worked for me.

selablad

HSC
Yes - it's way too hard to memorise the whole thing. Too much effort for a subject you hate.

Memorise most of the intro and conclusion, and the topic and closing sentences of the body paragraph. Memorise really cool sounding sentences. That'll make what you actually have to memorise a whole lot less.

If you still need help to memorise this (beyond basic repetition-repetition-repetition) then maybe these will help (some I have used):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic
http://www.bucks.edu/~specpop/mnemonics.htm
http://www.academictips.org/memory/index.html

Or just google memory tips, mnemonics, improve your memory in 30 seconds or your money back! etc

I think the key is to get the key words out, and then use normal memory techniques to remember them and the order...

good luck anyway

lionking1191

HSC
900 words is easy to memorise..especially if you wrote it yourself

selablad

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
the best way to memorise is to keep reading it to yourself whilst pacing.
Adding to this - I did this once to memorise an essay in year 8 and still remember it to this very day - try doing this:

1. go to the front door/gate of your house with a copy of your essay
2. walk through your house, and for each new room/significant decoration/piece of furniture/whatever, associate a sentence or two with it: eg

"Romeo and Juliet were total losers who killed themselves before thinking logically about the solution. They deserved what happened to them"

and you walk into the kitchen and see a knife block/etc on the kitchen counter. Then associate "kitchen counter" with that sentence, or just the general concept, about them dying.

3. walk through your house a few times, consolidating each concept and strengthening the association
4. go to your room and *mentally* "walk through" your essay a few times
5. get good night's sleep - think about your walk-through and maybe, if you are lucky, you will even dream about it!
6. walk into exam room, go through walk-through, write down essay, get full marks...*

*this is not guaranteed

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
gloworm14 said:
i found out that you cant memorise every word, especially in the last minute.
SO
i suggest to you, memorise your intro and conclusion as best you can and with the body, just memorise the key sentence of each paragraph.
I did. ;)

But I will basically say that memorising an essay took me 6 hours (i.e. word by word).

By the way, you should not memorise essay (even though I did, I regret that). Do as Aplus said.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Rewrite the essay in small dot points and learn them, then read over the main thing a few times. Should work.

But yeah, in future try not to

agua.fuego

HSC
Sorry foram, this is probably too late - but for future references, I'd go with recording yourself, playing it over and over, and while you sleep if you want to go with full memorising. I did that to fully memorise a speech. And it worked, surprisingly.

AnandDNA

HSC
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i've heard about this on the news once, i also tried to do it and i recorded myself but yeh my mum didnt allow me :(. she said it would disrupt my sleep

Cerry

HSC
foram said:
How do i memorise essays? I've tried to memorise my essay, but i can't... :( I need to memorise it for tomorrow! Any tips on memorising it please? It's 900 words.
For future reference - You don't, especially if you don't know for a fact that your essay is on the exact same topic as the essay you have to write for an assessment/exam. Memorising essays is a great way to screw yourself over, because what you've memorised has a very slim chance of actually answering more than one question properly. Memorise quotes/facts and figures (or whatever is relevant to your subject), and have a few ideas about what you might be able to write on a variety of topics. That should do you. You're better off having a slightly dodgy essay that was written in a rush and actually answers the question than something that's perfectly written because you've memorised something you worked on for hours which doesn't actually answer the question.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Cerry said:
For future reference - You don't, especially if you don't know for a fact that your essay is on the exact same topic as the essay you have to write for an assessment/exam. Memorising essays is a great way to screw yourself over, because what you've memorised has a very slim chance of actually answering more than one question properly. Memorise quotes/facts and figures (or whatever is relevant to your subject), and have a few ideas about what you might be able to write on a variety of topics. That should do you. You're better off having a slightly dodgy essay that was written in a rush and actually answers the question than something that's perfectly written because you've memorised something you worked on for hours which doesn't actually answer the question.
I predict this person will do better in English than the usual cluster of people who stand or wander around the playground heads down eyes glued to their essays hours then minutes before the 9am HSC English AOS Paper 1 exam.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
The school told everybody the exam question, thats why I needed to memorise it.

In the end, I memorised 2 topic sentences, and failed the rest of the essay. I just made random stuff up based on my quotes. I even forgot half my quotes, but I hope the teachers don't notice... :D

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i remembered 1200 word journey essay, 1000 Image essay and 700 Creative in the mid course exam lol word by word.. i wouldnt recommend doing it to such an extent( if wouldnt do it again), but i think generic essays do help extremely!

I learn them by re-writing it like 2 or 3 times each and then recording me saying them on my phone/ipod then listen to myself... It works trust me

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I've already done it. I wrote 4 pages :D... but most of it was pretty random. :( I ended up paraphrasing my entire essay, except for 2 sentences which I actually remembered.

Overall, I don't think I've done too bad. :D

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
If you can complete two whole preliminary courses (Physics and Chemistry memorised) during the holidays, I don't see why you can't memorise one essay ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)