mental health or marks? (1 Viewer)

KotaBear99

HSC
I'm in need of a little bit of advice here guys - prepare for a possibly long post. There will be a lot about me.
I do a compressed/college module (3 subjects per year) and I am currently in my second set of subjects.
Last year I did Adv English (75), Society and Culture (69) and VET Hospitality (80).
This year I am doing Drama, Music and Design Technology and I am currently completing the HSC for these 3 subjects.
I currently have severe anxiety and depression disorders, I wonder sometimes if I am even capable of completing my HSC.

Here is my problem.
I am one of two students in my HSC Drama class. As if this wasn't hard enough, my classmate and I don't see eye to eye...ever. We, like many other Drama students, are completing our group performance. Our problem is that we both perceive everything in a different way. When it comes to our group performance, I am thinking of abstract ways to make the performance stronger and get a message across to the markers and audience. My classmate is thinking in a literal way. When some may not see this to be a big problem, it is for us. My classmate will constantly argue with me and put me down telling me that he doesn't care about the group performance and that it doesn't need a message, nor does it need to have abstract qualities of any kind. He also constantly argues with my teacher and the environment is very negative. I dread attending my drama class now - I hate it. The paranoia over takes me of the fear that I won't have a good lesson and we won't get anything done. I am worried for my mental wellbeing as I simply cannot take this negativity in my life as I have enough going on at home. I know some people will call me out and tell me that it's only one more term or that I should just suck it up because it's a part of every day life - but I can't. I'm at my limit.

So here is my question - should I choose my mental health or my marks?
Should I drop Drama?
Is it still possible to get a 70ATAR if I drop Drama?

For Preliminary, I got a 95 for Music and a 71 for Design Technology. I got a 50 for Drama. If I drop Drama and focus on bumping up my marks in DT, is it still possible?

Flop21

HSC
Drop it (but can you list all your HSC subjects you're doing?).

You need to learn that it's only school. It's great to get good marks but if it's effecting you so much, then you need to step away and just think a bit about everything.

Just focus on getting through it, and completing the HSC. Don't stress too much about grades. If you intend to go to university apply for all early entry schemes (they will save you a lot of stress). I know many who got <50 ATARs and still got into uni because of those schemes.

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
I'm not sure about marks, but you're mental state is WAY more important than marks. While marks are important to a degree in getting to where you want to go, you're mental state will affect you way more (Ik from personal expereince). PM if you want to talk about it more, but hope that helps =)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Your mental health is more important then marks.

I'd probably drop drama if I were you, and focus on DT

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I'm in need of a little bit of advice here guys - prepare for a possibly long post. There will be a lot about me.
I do a compressed/college module (3 subjects per year) and I am currently in my second set of subjects.
Last year I did Adv English (75), Society and Culture (69) and VET Hospitality (80).
This year I am doing Drama, Music and Design Technology and I am currently completing the HSC for these 3 subjects.
I currently have severe anxiety and depression disorders, I wonder sometimes if I am even capable of completing my HSC.

Here is my problem.
I am one of two students in my HSC Drama class. As if this wasn't hard enough, my classmate and I don't see eye to eye...ever. We, like many other Drama students, are completing our group performance. Our problem is that we both perceive everything in a different way. When it comes to our group performance, I am thinking of abstract ways to make the performance stronger and get a message across to the markers and audience. My classmate is thinking in a literal way. When some may not see this to be a big problem, it is for us. My classmate will constantly argue with me and put me down telling me that he doesn't care about the group performance and that it doesn't need a message, nor does it need to have abstract qualities of any kind. He also constantly argues with my teacher and the environment is very negative. I dread attending my drama class now - I hate it. The paranoia over takes me of the fear that I won't have a good lesson and we won't get anything done. I am worried for my mental wellbeing as I simply cannot take this negativity in my life as I have enough going on at home. I know some people will call me out and tell me that it's only one more term or that I should just suck it up because it's a part of every day life - but I can't. I'm at my limit.

So here is my question - should I choose my mental health or my marks?
Should I drop Drama?
Is it still possible to get a 70ATAR if I drop Drama?

For Preliminary, I got a 95 for Music and a 71 for Design Technology. I got a 50 for Drama. If I drop Drama and focus on bumping up my marks in DT, is it still possible?
just based on this it seems like you are a lot better at DT anyways?

worst subject markswise + droppable + shitty classmate = easy drop no?

if you want to continue it perhaps talk to your teacher to see if you can come to some arrangment
it might be possible for you to just not have to attend class for medical reasons, but still get a chance to do the exam

~~~~~

on a side note, can you actually drop though, and still get an ATAR

you need 10 units to get an ATAR, and im pree sure vet courses don't count towards those units

adv + drama + soc + music + dt = 10 units

if you drop drama you'd be on 8 = no atar

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
just based on this it seems like you are a lot better at DT anyways?

worst subject markswise + droppable + shitty classmate = easy drop no?

if you want to continue it perhaps talk to your teacher to see if you can come to some arrangment
it might be possible for you to just not have to attend class for medical reasons, but still get a chance to do the exam

~~~~~

on a side note, can you actually drop though, and still get an ATAR

you need 10 units to get an ATAR, and im pree sure vet courses don't count towards those units

adv + drama + soc + music + dt = 10 units

if you drop drama you'd be on 8 = no atar
Hospitality contributes to an ATAR.

It is known as a category "B" subject, and you can have 1 category B subject contributing to an ATAR.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Can you PLEASE drop drama.

There seems like NO good reason for you to keep it.

KotaBear99

HSC
I've already done Adv. English, Society and Culture, Hospitality and I'm now doing Music 1, Drama and Design Technology.
I spoke to my mum last night and she basically gave me the whole "you're going to get people like this your entire life you need to learn to deal with them" speech. My drama teacher also gave me almost the exact same one..:(

KotaBear99

HSC
Not to seem cocky but I am actually quite good at Drama and I love doing it. During our Preliminary Course we had a different teacher and she didn't teach us anything. She didn't teach us how to write a drama essay or what to include, was all over the place in her teachings and would constantly argue with my classmate. for more of an example, she gave us a text to read, we read it, and then we didn't look at it again for the rest of the course until it got time to exams when we were apparently meant to have included workshop experiences in our essay (of which we had none because we didn't workshop it).. She got taken off our class for our HSC because of the drop in our marks and because we couldn't actually tell the principal what we had learnt in prelim...I was getting high 90s when in 9/10 and for my first prelim assessment we both got marks in the early 45/50 but then we got this new teacher, and our marks dropped dramatically to anywhere from 9 - 25 out of 50.

I really suck at DT and can't make anything to save my life..doesn't help that I'm doing it VIA distance.

Flop21

HSC
Not to seem cocky but I am actually quite good at Drama and I love doing it. During our Preliminary Course we had a different teacher and she didn't teach us anything. She didn't teach us how to write a drama essay or what to include, was all over the place in her teachings and would constantly argue with my classmate. for more of an example, she gave us a text to read, we read it, and then we didn't look at it again for the rest of the course until it got time to exams when we were apparently meant to have included workshop experiences in our essay (of which we had none because we didn't workshop it).. She got taken off our class for our HSC because of the drop in our marks and because we couldn't actually tell the principal what we had learnt in prelim...I was getting high 90s when in 9/10 and for my first prelim assessment we both got marks in the early 45/50 but then we got this new teacher, and our marks dropped dramatically to anywhere from 9 - 25 out of 50.

I really suck at DT and can't make anything to save my life..doesn't help that I'm doing it VIA distance.
But you said you got 50? Isn't drama 2u and thus out of 100? The responses in this thread are probably wrong now if you actually got 100% last year. Because I was under the impression you got 50%..

Maybe keep it then if you're actually doing well at it. You might have to learn how to deal with this situation to prevent it from actually messing with your head.

Can you not just go with the flow during drama, i.e. stop trying to argue with this guy even if you're right, so there's not much conflict. I understand there are group assignments so maybe nudge him a little bit, but keep the conflict to a minimum.

-

Alternatively, if you want some help with DT, I can try and help. I didn't do that subject but still, I know of it and what they do.

leehuan

HSC

Yeah um what Flop said. Drama is definitely a 2 unit course and 71/100 > 50/100

Heath Loxton

HSC
Hey flop 21;
I have got myself into the university of Adelaide early entry programme for Science, meaning i only need an ATAR of 50 instead of 75.
It has saved me heaps of stress and is making the year easier. :D

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Just drop it.

You already identified he's a cunt exerting a lot of negativity. It just means you have to work a little harder in all of your subjects.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Your best bet is just to drop drama. You are very lucky that you can because Hospitality can count to ATAR.
In fact the thing is you can always redo subjects later, if you really want to. In fact you can do your HSC over 5 years or something like that.

tbh, probably best not murdering anyone, you may have your disagreements, but that'll only come to bite you later, and also it would affect your mentality even more. Your best bet if seeking to resolve differences with this classmate is too much/confronting, then the best bet is to remove yourself from the situation. You can always seek other pathways, if drama is your passion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)