• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MetalHeads Are Intelligent! (1 Viewer)

Legham

HSC
Iron maiden isnt metal by today's standards.. Id refer to them as classic metal, just because they used to be metal like 20 years ago. but they're more like rock these days..

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Legham said:
Iron maiden isnt metal by today's standards.. Id refer to them as classic metal, just because they used to be metal like 20 years ago. but they're more like rock these days..
That's true.

I'm not really into metal, but I do enjoy older stuff for that reason.

iwannarock

HSC
well ofcourse they are.

i think i could honestly pass a year 9 ancient history exam if i listened to enough iron maiden.

Legham

HSC
^Haha, fully. I've learnt so much shit about Norse Mythology and vikings just from listening to Amon Amarth.. And im pretty sure Vikings were one of the main things in one of the years of history..

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Legham said:
^Haha, fully. I've learnt so much shit about Norse Mythology and vikings just from listening to Amon Amarth.. And im pretty sure Vikings were one of the main things in one of the years of history..
*bows down*

Can't go wrong with the Vikings.

Magicana

HSC
Legham said:
No, they are still metal. Sorry.

Legham said:
I love Amon Amarth :). The Sound Of Eight Hooves is a mad song, along with stuff like In Pursuit of Vikings, Valkyries Ride, With Oden On Our Side, etc.

Legham

HSC
^Try listening to some modern metal and tell me that Iron Maiden fit into the same genre.

Sorry, back at ya.

Magicana

HSC
Legham said:
^Try listening to some modern metal and tell me that Iron Maiden fit into the same genre.

Sorry, back at ya.
Whilst their music is becoming more PROGRESSIVE, it is not becoming rock. The lyrics are far too intelligent for that.

iwannarock

HSC
as if iron maiden isn't metal.

you don't have to detune and growl and scream and have the whole double kick drum to be metal you know.

you can distinguish iron maiden from rock easily.

G

Gavvvvvin

Legham said:

Sorry, back at ya.
How isn't Iron Maiden metal? It's not that Maiden don't fit into the same genre as modern bands, its that modern bands don't fit into the same genre as Maiden.

iwannarock

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
How isn't Iron Maiden metal? It's not that Maiden don't fit into the same genre as modern bands, its that modern bands don't fit into the same genre as Maiden.
you took the words right out of my mouth.

it musta been while you were kissing me.

took the words right out of my mouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth.

<3 meatloaf.

Legham

HSC
Der Waffen SS said:
Whilst their music is becoming more PROGRESSIVE, it is not becoming rock. The lyrics are far too intelligent for that.
I wasn't saying that Iron Maiden's sound is changing, i havent listened to enough of their music to know that. I was just saying that classic metal and normal metal are incredibly different genres. Classic metal, being softer than TODAYs metal, sounds more like TODAYs rock, imo. As for the lyrics, as i said i havent listened to enough Maiden to know about that. I was under the impression that music was still categorized pretty much entirely on what it sounded like, not what it IS about.

Gavvvin said:
That'd be all well and good if we were discussing this 30 years earlier. But we're discussing it in a modern context.. Modern metal is THE metal at the moment.

iwannarock

HSC
iron maidens music is metal. the gallops, the operatic vocals, the classical influence, the subject matter, the harmonized guitars all make it metal.

the stuff you're listening to now is probably one of the bazillion branches of metal.

black or death or whatever which have different characteristics of their own.

modern metal bands aren't categorized in to just metal anymore. obviously because metal has evolved since maiden. so they're black metal swedish death metal gothenburg or whatever.

then theres the whole 'cores' too.

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
are you like one of the people that don't consider black sabbath metal?

or any of that older stuff?

you remind me of a friend who for ages used to say metallica weren't metal:confused:

simply because they used to listen to all of the new stuff out these days.

Legham

HSC
I dont think i've ever listened to either Black Sabbath or Metallica.

That seems all fair enough what you're saying. Though, i guess there must be another branch for Classic Metal.. In which Iron Maiden would fit into.

Quick question, what does the american style metal like Lamb Of God and stuff fall under? :S

Oh, wow @ picture. i'll have me a good looksy at that when i get back from dinner.

iwannarock

HSC
Legham said:
I dont think i've ever listened to either Black Sabbath or Metallica.

That seems all fair enough what you're saying. Though, i guess there must be another branch for Classic Metal.. In which Iron Maiden would fit into.

Quick question, what does the american style metal like Lamb Of God and stuff fall under? :S
new wave of american metal.

but really i think they're just thrash metal.

metal is killing itself with all these stupid genres and labeling anyway.

and iron maiden were classified as the new wave of British metal.

yeah the chart has some bands in questionable places but generally its ok.

i was just using it to point out that just because iron maiden sound dated to you they are still metal. just different to what you listen to.

and there are metal bands that are still playing the whole NWOBM style. like Black Majesty they're an aussie band who i saw open for dragonforce.

neafoo

HSC
Legham said:
the graph says new wave of american heavy metal unless i misread it... there was a similar looking graph in the metal, a headbangers journey documentary.

iwannarock

HSC
Legham said:
Oh, wow @ picture. i'll have me a good looksy at that when i get back from dinner.
its from the movie "metal: a headbangers journey".

its a pretty good documentary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)