• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mid-air terror bomb plot foiled (1 Viewer)

banco55

HSC
I guess if the government refuses to actively profile the passengers might take matters into their own hands:

British holidaymakers staged an unprecedented mutiny - refusing to allow their flight to take off until two men they feared were terrorists were forcibly removed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...rticle_id=401426&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=
The extraordinary scenes happened after some of the 150 passengers on a Malaga-Manchester flight overheard two men of Asian appearance apparently talking Arabic.
Passengers told cabin crew they feared for their safety and demanded police action. Some stormed off the Monarch Airlines Airbus A320 minutes before it was due to leave the Costa del Sol at 3am. Others waiting for Flight ZB 613 in the departure lounge refused to board it.
The incident fuels the row over airport security following the arrest of more than 20 people allegedly planning the suicide-bombing of transatlantic jets from the UK to America. It comes amid growing demands for passenger-profiling and selective security checks.
It also raised fears that more travellers will take the law into their own hands - effectively conducting their own 'passenger profiles'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=401419&in_page_id=1770

Generator

HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
I guess if the government refuses to actively profile the passengers might take matters into their own hands:

British holidaymakers staged an unprecedented mutiny - refusing to allow their flight to take off until two men they feared were terrorists were forcibly removed.
That's nothing more than an act of sheer bastardry (motivated by a sense of fear that seems to be out of control) on the part of the passengers.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I will claim responsibility to racially profiling a person. I am suspicious of people of middle-eastern appearance conducting themselves in such a manner on public transport who appear nervous or are sweating and if they're carrying some kind of bag.

In one instance, I messaged my friend the details of the bus (ie. bus number) and where about the person who I suspected was sitting should anything have happened!

Today, I went and saw United 93. You couldn't say it was 'good' as the story it depicted was far from it. But I couldn't help but notice some anti-Muslim sentiment which came from within, but then maybe that's just how I saw it. I suppose that the terrorists were Muslim, and that they did believe what they were doing was in the name of Allah.

Hmm, I'm not sure.

tempco

HSC
JaredR said:
I will claim responsibility to racially profiling a person. I am suspicious of people of middle-eastern appearance conducting themselves in such a manner on public transport who appear nervous or are sweating and if they're carrying some kind of bag.

In one instance, I messaged my friend the details of the bus (ie. bus number) and where about the person who I suspected was sitting should anything have happened!
Wow, that sucks. Well, the only time I use buses is to get to Uni and back, and since I'm pretty active in the on-campus Islamic society, I usually know the people who are of "ME appearance". :rofl:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
It's a nasty stereotype enacted by a select few which has an effect on the great majority.

One seems to forget (including me) that there is no face of a terrorist, they could be anyone and could look like anyone.

It's just a matter of applying that principle that I sometimes struggle with. :(

banco55

HSC
JaredR said:
It's a nasty stereotype enacted by a select few which has an effect on the great majority.

One seems to forget (including me) that there is no face of a terrorist, they could be anyone and could look like anyone.

It's just a matter of applying that principle that I sometimes struggle with. :(
I think this is one of those noble lies if you know what I mean. Obviously a terrorist could theoretically be anyone but security experts all say that profiling is a useful technique. Who has the safest airplanes in the world? The israelis and they profile very aggressively. The main question whether for ethical reasons or pratical reasons you don't want to do it. The ethical reason being we shouldn't stereotype etc. the pratical one being that say in the UK the backlash from the muslim community might make it harder to get cooperation in terrorism investigations etc.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
bah.. this is all over-exaggerated media SHIT.

there are so many ways to blow up a plane , its just not possible to implement security to prevent it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)