• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

mobility of beliefs (1 Viewer)

ademayd

HSC
Graney said:
Even though it would feel slightly intellectually dishonest, I've been seriously considering converting to a certain religion that preaches hard work, waking early for morning prayer and then keeping your day occupied.

I think I'd get a fuckload more done, you get to join a tight social community etc, and my life would probably be better all round if I joined a strict religion.

I need that sort of madness in my life to motivate myself.

The only downside is giving up intoxicants...

I could easily practice some serious doublethink to make me actually believe anything.
lol so you don't considere it because you can't be stuffed,

but how about believing in god but stuffing religion? majorrity of christians, jews and moslems do it; they know there is a god out there but dont want to think about it...

i think its better than rejecting God altogether without even considering it as its just too much work :D

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
ademayd said:
lol so you don't considere it because you can't be stuffed,

but how about believing in god but stuffing religion? majorrity of christians, jews and moslems do it; they know there is a god out there but dont want to think about it...

i think its better than rejecting God altogether without even considering it as its just too much work :D
None of that made any sense or in any way related to what I posted.

I would genuinely believe in whatever I told myself to believe in. Humans have an amazing power for self deception. All religious people experience times of doubt, but they quash it and just pretend the problem doesn't exist. I could easily believe as strongly as most theists do.

bigb0yjames

HSC
Graney said:

I would genuinely believe in whatever I told myself to believe in. Humans have an amazing power for self deception. All religious people experience times of doubt, but they quash it and just pretend the problem doesn't exist. I could easily believe as strongly as most theists do.
+1. i have a very high amount of doubt over religion. however, thinking about it...i rather just follow blindly like sheep just for the spiritual satisfaction rather than questioning X,Y,Z and never have peace with myself. get me?

bigb0yjames

HSC
Schroedinger said:
That seems so boring and mentally lacking.
yeah you are correct. but, ever since i started question religion and doubting the whole fundamental backbone of religion....i haven't really been satisfied with myself. at times ive felt lost and what not. Ive tried to replace it with material wealth but it hasn't helped me revert back to my previous state of mind.

HSC
im firmly agnostic.

there's nothing compelling enough on either side to rule out the other, for my mind.

and fuck, if i'm going to hell for using logic and not locking my mind into believing something, i'd be going to hell anyway.

ademayd

HSC
Graney said:

I dont know why it did not make sense, but let me just put it in simple terms:

I know you are lazy to strictly follow a religion but do you believe that there is a God ( Creator )? I'm asking this in general and not just to Graney...

lol i dont know why I care, i guess im just curious about the aetheist mentality

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
ademayd said:
I know you are lazy to strictly follow a religion but do you believe that there is a God ( Creator )? I'm asking this in general and not just to Graney...

lol i dont know why I care, i guess im just curious about the aetheist mentality
What?

Aside from the first sentence plainly missing a few words and still making no sense...

You're asking atheists if they believe in a god?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Jesus is close to you! Feel his healing embrace, his compassion and mercy! Only He who is the Truth can be the Way and hence also the Life.

ademayd

HSC
Graney said:
What?

Aside from the first sentence plainly missing a few words and still making no sense...

You're asking atheists if they believe in a god?
lol no im asking how many of them live an aetheist lifestyle to escape a "strict life" and how many of them actually strongly believe that a God can't exist according to what they've seen.

So maybe the question is what lead you to aetheism?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
ademayd said:
lol no im asking how many of them live an aetheist lifestyle to escape a "strict life" and how many of them actually strongly believe that a God can't exist according to what they've seen.

So maybe the question is what lead you to aetheism?
By definition, an atheist does not believe in a God. A sincere belief in this is what leads one to atheism.

ademayd

HSC
Kwayera said:
By definition, an atheist does not believe in a God. A sincere belief in this is what leads one to atheism.
(orasini bende biliyorum) But he said he can make hisself believe whatever he wants to believe, AND I was wondering if he made hisself believe that God doesnt exist so he can be free of "religous responsibilities"...

omg I seriously do not care anymore

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
if i wasn't christian i think my default sort of mindset would return to happily ignorant agnosticism. it certainly would be more fun in the here and now

HSC
Most intelligent atheists don't become so on a single reason (or, after initially embracing atheism they will discover more reasons). So if you reasonably show an atheistic argument as false (to whatever extent an argument can be shown so) it's highly unlikely to change my overall theological stance because there's no single reason persuading me to my way of thinking.

That being said, I echo earlier sentiments in hoping I would be open to changing if ever such material gave me fair reason to do so.

Lukybear

HSC
Really tbh, i would never convert, no matter what i see, hear or feel. No amount of arguement would move me. At least thats how i "feel" since realistically no such event has actually ever occuered.

But who knows?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)