Modern history vs legal studies Decision ASAP (1 Viewer)

Werq

HSC
closed - my stupid school would not let me change to modern whatever i dropped legal

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
All I have to offer is scaling. I will not mention marks, because most year 11s don't have a feel for final HSC marks at this stage.
Instead, here is a comparison between the percentile (the percentage of the state you beat in each subject) and the ATAR you would get if each of your other subjects contributed the same amount to your ATAR as does this subject.

Modern History

Percentile (ATAR)
99 (99.95)
98 (99.5)
97 (99)
95 (98)
90 (95)
81 (90)
73 (85)
63 (80)

Legal Studies

Percentile (ATAR)
High 99 (99.95)
99 (95)
98 (99)
96 (98)
92 (95)
84 (90)
77 (85)
69 (80)

So it appears at first glance that (at the top end) MH scales SLIGHTLY better.
But don't forget that the whole point of scaling is to account for the different quality of candidates attempting each subject.
Factoring that in, if the system works properly (and it does in most cases), there should be no difference.
The only thing that will affect which subject you do better in is which one you are better at (possibly influenced by the quality of teachers and your interest in the subject).

Last edited:

Werq

HSC
isn't modern history easier? My friend who did both found there was less info/notes in modern and in a way not worth it she chose legal... More effort/time for the same/similar marks/Atar... I won't get 99.95 or be a confirmed lawyer, although I know law is helpful in life, I'm not sure if it's wise decision for subjects. I feel like modern history will allow more time for other subjects... Or am I wrong?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
isn't modern history easier? My friend who did both found there was less info/notes in modern and in a way not worth it she chose legal... More effort/time for the same/similar marks/Atar... I won't get 99.95 or be a confirmed lawyer, although I know law is helpful in life, I'm not sure if it's wise decision for subjects. I feel like modern history will allow more time for other subjects... Or am I wrong?
Go with Modern you'll probably enjoy it more..

braintic

HSC
N/A
As I said, scaling is all I have to offer. I teach maths and have little idea about the content and work involved in these subjects.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I felt when I did the two, they both require a similar skill set - you need to engage in higher order thinking, analysis and a lot of essay writing. Both subjects are content heavy and will require work in order to do well.

It's up to you, just do what you'll enjoy and enjoy what you do. Study hard and strive for those marks, even if it turns out that you don't like your choice.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Make the decision yourself? I mean, there are so many factors to it.

You should talk to your teacher and year advisor about it.

Werq

HSC
I was set on changing to modern, I already half filled the form to change, but after consulting with the teachers who take the subjects, they said modern is actually 'harder' and that a lot of people in my school did well in legal.... And mainly the students doing modern don't like the modern teacher and say my legal teacher is good... Omg, and I like certain parts of modern history but other parts like Russia I don't seem to know much about, and doing commerce last year helped a little bit in my legal classes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)